• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Brutus is down :(

so good news and some little bad news.  got the engine in, hooked up enough to run (no cooling system or intercooler)  good oil pressure, didnt check for blowby yet as i still heard a bit of injector knock on #6 i believe. So i am going to swap #6 with #1 and see if it moves and if it does i need to get another rv275. If it doesnt move, i will just break it in.

Does anyone have a single rv275 they have lying around they want to sell? It is the only thing that is still "original" to that cylinder and i think it may have been damaged when it broke down.

I am inclined to agree with W&F on this. 

I understand that money is tight.  The point being that you do NOT want to throw good money after bad.  Who does?  Think of it in these terms:

For Want of a Nail

For want of a nail the shoe was lost.

For want of a shoe the horse was lost.

For want of a horse the rider was lost.

For want of a rider the message was lost.

For want of a message the battle was lost.

For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.

And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

Think again about the money you may save and what that injector or injectors may ultimately cost you.  Just don't want to see the possibility of all of your hard work and money spent be lost. 

Edited by LiveOak
  • Like 2

ok new injector came in and buttoned everything up and started. #6 still knocks like it individually advanced or something, i cracked the line and it goes away. i have a little white smoke but also ive yet to do break in. the only thing left is the vp44 is possibly messed up, im at a loss now...

any ideas will be appreciated.

Edited by CUMMINSDIESELPWR

What are the exhaust manifold temps at each cylinder when shot with an IR gun?

Remember the inline 6 cylinder firing order is 153624.  On many occasions if you think #6 is knocking is because it is working harder to compensate for # 5 or 3 being week or dead. :whistle: 

Once again throwing money and parts at things due to not knowing / following the basics.

On your first video with the knock, are you trying to scare the pants off of people at the end? :evilgrin::tongue::lmao:

So what do you attribute the knock going away from? That is different.......

Great to see that you got this beast working right. I am scratching my head on this injector issue as it could be a number of things that was causing it. For now, it is working and that sure beats a stick in the eye. Go with it but I would keep a watch eye AND ear out for this issue in the future. Hopefully it will not recur. Nice job getting the truck back together.

So what do you attribute the knock going away from? That is different.......

I vote for  air in the  line.  So, not really a 'knock'  but  a partially  dead  cylinder.  Not enough  fuel to  quite light it up,  but enough to make  white smoke.    The  longer the  injection line,  such as  #6,   the  harder it is  for it to   'blow out'  the  air..  

It's really hard to  'hear'  (for me)   the tell tale  signs  on a video clip..

Edited by rancherman

• 10 months later...

here is a long term rebuild update, its been a hectic year since rebuild...

Moved to florida from colorado 1900 miles towing trailer same size as when the engine ate itself. No issues.

then got a job in wisconsin another 1900 miles from florida with same trailer again and even went up a nasty grade in north carolina out of asheville and had zero issues.

next up is sanding the bumper and rhino lining it instead of paint, also sand the running boards and bed down and rhino line them as well (rusty up here from salt)