• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Shopping for a Daily Driver

flagmanruss

I'm just getting my bearings, testing my ability to get in/out, my gear (cane, walker, Travelscoot).  I've decided a full adjustable power seat is a requirement.  After a test sit, I've been going over the equipment list & packages for different makes to see what is needed to get the power seat.  Avenger is on my short list!  But I have to get off the lot with a longer test drive. 

I'm not sold on the current crop of tiny engines...  but I've had good & powerful cars with 2.4 & 2.5L both 4 & 6 cylinders.  I'm not hung up on cylinder count.  It's been entertaining.

The Cirrus (1997) is running ok, has no current repairs needed.  Gets 27mpg.  I'm seeing a KBB of $1000-1500.  The car needs some serious time, cleaning the tree sap off the passengers side paint.  (A razer blade takes dried sap off the glass easily.)   

One dealer generously offered to take the Cirrus & give me 1000 off the price...  I found the same car on line for 1000 less than he told me & wrote down on his card!   I guess I'll not be trading the Cirrus.  Craigslist!    

Russ, I was quite surprised at the "get up and go" in my VW TDI. That car has gotten my 42+ mpg with four adults and luggage at 65+ mph.My son just got 48 mpg out of his 2006 Jetta TDI. The only 'bad' thing is a dealership told me that if I put a hitch on my 2012 car they would void the warranty.

Back to the dealers I liked the best. 

I test drove the Hundai Sonata...  wife swears by her Ascent...  nice car but I had a lot of trouble getting my impared legs into it.  I think I have a really good offer from them.

I test drove a 2014 Dart GT.  Impressed, nice car.  Peppy when asked.   2.4 (4 cylinder) Automatic (I must have).  Trouble getting my legs in / out  :(

Test drove a 2012 Avenger SXT...  several to choose from 2.4 or 3.6 V6 with autos...  returned lease cars ~30,000 miles for 13,900.  And I did better getting in / out.  I think we have a winner!

I decided on a (former lease) 2012 Avenger 3.6 V6 / 6 speed auto with SXT package includes the power seat I need.  I decided I didn't want either bright white or gloss black...  that I test drove...   because I can't keep any vehicle perfectly clean & think those colors will look bad dirty. 

I said I wanted Silver or Grey thinking they didn't have one.  They got back to me & claim to have the car in Silver.  I haven't seen it yet, need to verify that it is what I want.  If it is, I'm going to buy a car today.    

No, advantage of being retired although I'd rather be healthy & able to work (and play) is I don't have to go out in the snow.  I've got the truck if I really need to go out.  When wife worked at the hospital she HAD to be at work...  Subaru & would overnight at her Aunt's who was out in the civilized world. 

Car was as requested, so I signed the agreement of sale...  I think it will be a good car.  

Edited by flagmanruss