• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What EGT's do you all run?

Last night I pulled a powerstroke (imagine that :lol:) on a trailer and I came up with 8000lbs for total load. Now I don't know if anyone notices when they are pulling, but I hit an "EGT wall" at 900F when maintaining speed. Keeping 60mph going up a few steep hills and such the max I saw was 15psi/900F. However on the return trip (with just the trailer), same max, 15psi/900F. Seems with any load at all I just rise to 900F and it just stops. So at what EGT do you guy's hit this "wall"? Don't take this the wrong way and think I mean flooring it up a hill, but just maintaining speed with a trailer what do you all hit?

I pulled a combine weight, truck, trailer, and the load - D4 dozer 32k pulling a slite hill it hit 1225 degrees. From what I been told it is safe to hit 13 to 14 for just seconds and let it cool back down. My truck is a welding truck and weighs 9800lbs and I hit 800 as a normal just going through the gears. When you say it hits a wall, will it go higher than that?

Interesting. Neat how cool the EGT's are with an ungodly amount of weight :lol: When I say wall I mean it goes to 900F and really does just stop. I start going up hills with the trailer and it doesn't go any higher. This is just maintaining speed.. If I step on it I have seen it above 1500.

2 years ago, coming home from a Texas hunting trip, the guy that was pulling the trailer.............well his d-max took a poop at Bloomington, IL. We still had 250 miles to go; so we swapped out the trailer onto my truck and the guys and their dogs ALL got into mine. 5 guys, 3 dogs and an 8x24 foot trailer. All that said though, that's not the best part!!!! Since leaving TX that day, the temps had been slowly dropping the whole trip home. By the time we got headed straight North in southern Illinois, the temp was 0 with a 30mph+ North wind. Anyhow, my truck with the 5 guys and 3 dogs and the big ___ trailer were going straight into this wind and the temperature was still dropping. By the time we made it back to SE Wisconsin, it was -15!!!! In order to maintain 60mph, my boost gauge was reading 20+psi however my EGT's were only running 750-800 over level ground. Engine temp was about 205. The trailer wasn't loaded that heavy (3 atv's, gear, coolers and tools), but it acted as a big wall behind the truck. Yup, these trucks are amazing. I still give the fellow with the d-max some crap about that trip.

2 years ago, coming home from a Texas hunting trip, the guy that was pulling the trailer.............well his d-max took a poop at Bloomington, IL. We still had 250 miles to go; so we swapped out the trailer onto my truck and the guys and their dogs ALL got into mine. 5 guys, 3 dogs and an 8x24 foot trailer. All that said though, that's not the best part!!!! Since leaving TX that day, the temps had been slowly dropping the whole trip home. By the time we got headed straight North in southern Illinois, the temp was 0 with a 30mph+ North wind. Anyhow, my truck with the 5 guys and 3 dogs and the big ___ trailer were going straight into this wind and the temperature was still dropping. By the time we made it back to SE Wisconsin, it was -15!!!! In order to maintain 60mph, my boost gauge was reading 20+psi however my EGT's were only running 750-800 over level ground. Engine temp was about 205. The trailer wasn't loaded that heavy (3 atv's, gear, coolers and tools), but it acted as a big wall behind the truck. Yup, these trucks are amazing. I still give the fellow with the d-max some crap about that trip.

Now that would be fun! The only time I have ever seen over 20psi to maintain speed was when I went to branson going up those steep long hills right north of town at 80-85mph. It was 90F out so I was seeing about 1000F. The only person keeping up with me was a jetta tdi :lol:

• Staff

The hardest level cruise I have done was at 70 with a 30-35mph head wind. I sat at 24-28psi boost and ~1000* the whole time. That was with my 5K TT (frontal area killed me, not weight). I can see 1350* if I try really hard on a hill, but pull most hills at 20-25psi and 1200*.

• Owner

Like myself climbing some of the dirt forestry roads at 8-12% grade you can get some good pyro temps. I typical hit my wall at about 1,000*F worth of pyro climbing grades. Hovering at about 18-22 PSI of boost. I've maxed out a few times at 1,400*F but just short burst passing people. Typical highway cruising empty I'm floating 450-600*F worth of pyro at about 1-2 PSI of boost at about 55 MPH... But kick it up to 65 MPH the pyro floats 700-800*F and boost is about 6-7 PSI now... Just for 10 MPH gain...

Those EGT's from my prior post were level ground cruising. Any uphill, and she was 1100-1200. But I really wasn't that concerned with really maintaining speed on those hills. And that's running in below 0 conditions and pre Smarty!!!! I was still running the Edge J w/A. Stopped for fuel in there somewhere, and I left the truck run. In just the 10-15 minutes idling, the engine temp dropped to under 160.

I see about 1250 - 1275 at around 32 - 34 lbs. boost depending upon what gear I am in. I cannot hold that much boost or power in 6th and sometimes in 5th gear pulling much if any load as it will cause the clutch to slip. I will be installing a SB clutch in the near future.

The hardest level cruise I have done was at 70 with a 30-35mph head wind. I sat at 24-28psi boost and ~1000* the whole time. That was with my 5K TT (frontal area killed me, not weight).

I can see 1350* if I try really hard on a hill, but pull most hills at 20-25psi and 1200*.

If you have ever read about people with the same truck as my ford, you will always see them saying they can pull anything....slowlyy. Frontal area of a trailer absolutely kills that thing. So you have to go slow enough as to not have any wind resistance :lmao: I think mine is a little wore out and isn't that bad for a decent one but if you have seen the trailer I pull, I would be on level ground 65mph highway, and once I finally got to 60mph, I would let off and give it a chance to go into O/D, then I would get on it again and it wouldn't hold, it just fell on it's face and lost speed like crazy, so you would turn O/D back off and hold it to the floor just to go 60mph. Be interesting to see how the later IDI turbo editions held up with a load.

I find it so interesting how maintaining speed on a level hill takes so little effort with the cummins. I have never rode with anyone pulling these 10k+ loads, oh wait, I rode with a guy who had about 50k worth of I-beams on a 40ft gooseneck on his V10 dodge auto. It topped out at 25 with that load. We had to back up a hill to unload it all and it would only make it 30ft or so up the very slight hill, no wheel spin and it was to the floor, just out of power :lol:

I find it so interesting how maintaining speed on a level hill takes so little effort with the cummins

i know what you mean....it seems i can coast as far as my accord, unlike my ranger. i go into nuetral and i might as well put the ebrake on! i think the rangers wind resistance starts effecting things at ~37mph. my dodge coasts huge distances at 55:)