• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

02 3500 QC towing capacity

Ok,

So I'm almost done setting up my truck, getting ready to fabricate a tow hitch setup & I realize I don't know the towing capacity for this truck!  :ashamed:

it's a 2002 2wd 3500 quad cab dually 6 speed & HO.  Dana 80 axle has 3.55 gears

It has factory helper leaf springs, and firestone "ride rite" air bags

So does anyone know the towing capacity for this truck? I'm wondering which class hitch to setup.

I will always use 5th gear when towing as it's 1.00 ratio straight through. 

Also, I've installed a service body on this truck so that rules out gooseneck/5th wheel style towing.

Thanks!

Edited by Ironforger

It will depend on if you build a class 3 hitch or a class 5 hitch. And it also depends on if you plan on doing weight distribution or not. If you really want to tow heavy you might need to step up and build a class 5 hitch that is a 2.5in receiver vs. a regular 2in. That will get you a lot more weight capacity. The other thing that will change your weight capacity is how the receiver hitch will be mounted under the truck.

There are a lot of variables to consider if you want to tow a lot of weight safely. There is a company that I know of that is kind of king in this department called Torklift. They are very spendy but you might get some ideas on how to build yours.

• Owner

Well firewood I might of been pushing a few time rather heavy. As for the RV I'm right at my GVWR but still below my axles rates. Still below my trailer rated specs, Still below my combine weight.

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/members-rides/17-mopar1973man/27-2000-jayco-eagle-296-fbs

About twice a year I check my weights. I don't want to be like all the people I get called out to fix RV springs, or lost a wheel because snapped all the studs off.