• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Cruise control issues

• Owner

I just remembered I had a weird thing happen and can't explain nor has it occured again. While I was towing my traveel trailer this last trip I had my cruise set for 55 MPH cruising towards Emmett, ID. It was really strange it was like someone lifting and stomping the throttle in a really jerky up down random cycle. Now remember I'm a fly by wire system no vacuum motor cruise. As for error codes there is none I check while driving (Scan Gauge II). As for the APPS sensor it shows 0 while cruise is active there is no signal (Scan Gauge II). I tested my alternator noise once I got to Emmett, ID and it was a normal 0.023 to 0.027 AC volts. After being shut down for the night I've never experienced it again.

I had a buddy whose cruise control quit working... It turned out to be the clockspring assembly.... I wonder if it was getting bad contact??

Found this http://www.turbodieselregister.com/threads/237211-Cruise-control-clock-spring-repair  I'm not sure if our second gens are the same as the first gens

Edited by TFaoro

My auto and cruise control do not agree on how things are or should work ever... surging from 0-12 psi of boost sucks.

But for odd things happening the other day I was under the hood of my truck aand my turbo looked like it had been pooped on. After a little searching I found 8 of the exhaust manifold bolts loose. I know I did the new 3 piece manifold about 4 months ago and torqued the new stainless manifold bolts to 35 ftlb. Just kind of strange.

• Owner

My 02 had a vacuum controlled cruise unit, must be an auto / manual difference. I did the straw reducer trick inside the vacuum tube to lessen the surging resulting from adding edge and everything else, it did lessen the surging a bit but didn't eliminate it by far.

Yeah... Mine is a manual and all fly-by-wire so there is no vacuum motor.

I had a buddy whose cruise control quit working... It turned out to be the clockspring assembly.... I wonder if it was getting bad contact??

Found this http://www.turbodieselregister.com/threads/237211-Cruise-control-clock-spring-repair  I'm not sure if our second gens are the same as the first gens

All my steering wheel controls seem to be working just fine. Accelerate, coast, cancel, on/off and set. I was playing with the controls while driving to try and diagnose but all of the controls work.

My auto and cruise control do not agree on how things are or should work ever... surging from 0-12 psi of boost sucks.

But for odd things happening the other day I was under the hood of my truck aand my turbo looked like it had been pooped on. After a little searching I found 8 of the exhaust manifold bolts loose. I know I did the new 3 piece manifold about 4 months ago and torqued the new stainless manifold bolts to 35 ftlb. Just kind of strange.

Once again no vacuum motor and not a automatic transmission... I'm a manual with fly-by-wire cruise control.

On mine going down the interstate at 78mph it will surge from 5psi to 10 psi and it is annoy all the time feel like I speed up slow down a bit never holds same psi. thought that was just normal on the old dodge :lmao: but mines a auto to so I can't really help you