• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Oil smoke

• Owner

Well after leaving my truck parked for a couple of weeks now. I fire it up and now I can visibly see oil smoke just a puff at initial start up and gone. If its parked in the shop you can smell hang in the air. As for driving there is no oil smoke under normal driving conditions. Now this might be park of the last bout I ran the exhaust brake and would see it after a long down hill run. I'm starting to wonder if the valve seals are getting sloppy? There is no blow by.

• Owner

I gave Towhungerford a call and asked him about it. He's agreeing with my it sound like valve seal starting to go south on me. So who do I go to for a good quality valve seal set? Also I know I got to get the tool to do it.

http://www.torkteknology.com/products/Cummins-24V-5.9-%26-6.7-Valve-Spring-Compressor-PN-CVSC010.html

Well, the guy I bought my truck from had the head gone through a little while before I got it. Whoever was doing the work didnt have their spring compressor adjusted correctly and ended up tearing all the valve seals up. The truck would smoke for about 10 minutes after a cold start up and went through a ton of oil. It took a lot of time diagnosing to figure out where all that oil was going. I thought there was a serious internal engine issue when it was just a simple mistake made by a shop.

I think at the time mine was going through about a quart every 500 miles. I had the seals all fixed up and then it was only going through a quart about every 3000 miles. Over the last few months or so the truck has started to use a lot more oil again, but its not hardly smoking at all. I am suspecting the turbo but I havent pulled it apart yet to find out.

• Owner

wiggle yer valves  after you   get the springs and old  seals off..   check for  guide wear

the  guides  tend to wear   in a  'line with the rocker'      not  as much   fore and aft.

Even Towhungerford said the same thing if the seal kit doesn't fix it up then the valve guides would need to be replaced. (Head Job).

Ok. To be sure I borrowed a manometer from the local cummins shop and ran a bunch of tests on the engine, all the time watching the actual blowby pressures. Everything was well in specs according to cummins. Even my cold start up pressures were very much in the green. Now this is all according to Cummins. Everyone might have a different opinion. I just wanted to be sure because like you said W and F, every engine has some blow by. Even new ones do.

• Like 1

• Owner

I keep reading in posts over and again where folks claim "My engine doesn't have any blow by"...................BS................every engine on the planet has a certain amount of blow by.

Ok. Rephrase the comment not excessive blow by. It doesn't blow the cap off nor dance in the hole. I would rather go by compression test than blow by. I've laid under the truck with it idling and it just lightly puffing a light vapor out. Nothing like the CR engines I've seen so far. Unscrew the cap and POP watch the cap go flying...

As for information I'm going to talk to Lindy tomorrow at work and see what he's got to say. I really doubt rings and pistons. Runs way too good and no noises. MPG are still up to spec just oil usage is up.

Ok. Rephrase the comment not excessive blow by. It doesn't blow the cap off nor dance in the hole. I would rather go by compression test than blow by. I've laid under the truck with it idling and it just lightly puffing a light vapor out. Nothing like the CR engines I've seen so far. Unscrew the cap and POP watch the cap go flying...

As for information I'm going to talk to Lindy tomorrow at work and see what he's got to say. I really doubt rings and pistons. Runs way too good and no noises. MPG are still up to spec just oil usage is up.

My buddys 03 which was totally dusted out and using a gallon of oil every couple hundred miles and actually pushing half of it out the breather didn't even flutter the oil cap on the valve cover.