• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

'Rock Solid' Ram Truck Steering!

No, but I'm interested.  I'd like to know what is involved in installing the upgraded steering column bushing.  I have what my front end guy calls "typical" back & forth an inch either side of center, steering slop.  He's not finding other parts that are out of spec?!

I did it without having to remove the steering column. You obviously have to remove the steering shaft though. I believe I also cut my washer with a dremel. I did have to sand the inside of the bushing because it was binding. 

Did you see any difference to make it worth doing?

Well, it sure made a difference when the plate under the rear axle was rusted into pieces, the U bolts were walking with the rear axle where ever it pleased.  But that's fixed now & I still have steering wheel slopp...  an inch either side of center.  

Without starting the engine, I can work the steering wheel & hear a clunk.  I need to have someone watch while the wheel is turned.  It's in that free play inch.  If it's clunking, we should be able to find it. 

Well, it sure made a difference when the plate under the rear axle was rusted into pieces, the U bolts were walking with the rear axle where ever it pleased.  But that's fixed now & I still have steering wheel slopp...  an inch either side of center.  

Without starting the engine, I can work the steering wheel & hear a clunk.  I need to have someone watch while the wheel is turned.  It's in that free play inch.  If it's clunking, we should be able to find it. 

I would suggest you watch the steering box as it will flex on the frame during initial turning of steering wheel.   I installed the DSS Steering Stabilizer (http://www.solidsteel.biz/) and the DSS Solid Track Arm Kit (or adjustable track arm) at the same time.  I had both moving steering box and another failed joint on the oem track arm.   This really firmed up the turning of the steering wheel and no more rut grabbing the front wheels and jerking the truck sideways, but I still have a little "typical" back & forth slop - it is either adjustment in the steering box or the rock solid bearing replacement.  I am going with steering box adjustment first.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody installed this without removing the steering column on an automatic?

http://rocksolidramtrucksteering.com/

Looking for instructions and feedback.

Hey Bryan when I did mine I didn't exactly go by the directions.  I found it easier to remove the left front wheel and inner fender. Mine is a 2wd so I'm not sure how much more would be in the way on yours.  I removed the intermediate shaft which turned out to be the hardest part because the slip joint was seized.  I then went in from the top and cut the spring and keeper with a dremel.  Directions say to put a c-clamp on it but I just let it fly.  Then I pryed out the old bushing with a screwdriver and a pair of pliers. I lightly sanded the shaft with a scotch brite pad to remove surface rust.  I checked the fit of the bushing to see how tight it would be.  On mine it was perfect. If it is too tight then the instructions say to sand the inner diameter of the bushing until the steering is where you want it. I installed mine through the fender well by making a slightly longer installer out of pvc pipe. Just tapped it lightly all the way in flush. I check the steering wheel one more time then installed the lock clip.  Clip it on then take a pair of pliers and squeeze one more click. Don't forget to put a strap around your steering wheel to the brake pedal to keep it in place.  You can move it slightly to check the tightness of the bushing but not much. Hope this helps.

• 3 years later...

I did it years ago when they first came out.  It made NO difference on my truck.  the issues I was having was for another reason & rather than actually look to figure out what was going on, I just did it..............   

Im not saying it does not work for its intended use, Im saying, changing the oil to fix a flat tire is a dumb idea.  Sometimes I need to slow down & think about stuff before I do it.  LOL. 

Bob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1