• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

MoparMello: Cooling problem

Instead of starting a new thread I figured I would try here...... I picked up a snow plow for a friend the other night. It was about a 20 minute ride and the temp got a little over 190* possibly right around 210*-220* , and the outside temp around 45-55*. I've already relocated the puke bottle and cleaned the radiator. Just wondering if anybody has run into this ,although when it is cold enough to snow I have a feeling this may not happen.

• Owner

Thermostat time and maybe a fan clutch.

Right now it starting morning temps is about 35-40*F and afternoon highs are in the 50's... I'm running my winter front the grill is completely covered. I never get above 195*F. If you radiator is truly clean where you removed it and power washed it till your can see through it. It shouldn't have any issues at all. Even my radiator still has to be remove from time to time to be cleaned.

post-1-0-66115700-1414848715_thumb.jpg

when i rebuilt brutus, it took an hour to clean the radiator. i soaked with simple green and used a hose sprayer to force through the fins (without bending them) gotta go straight at the fins and push all the oil and crap out. holy cow there was a bunch of junk in mine...   runs great now.  also you can use brake cleaner if it hard to get out packed in oil/dirt then hose out. you wanna be able to see through the radiator.

I used simple green and let it soak for an hour or two. Then ran up to the local gas station and used the pressure washer

be careful using a pressure washer, the force will flatten out the thin fins and block the rad totally.  i use a garden hose with a spray attachment held very close so there is no deflection to bend anything.

I actually found a tub (not the one in my bathroom)"This time".. that would hold the radiator (flatwise) and hose fittings pointed up.. and let her soak overnight. simple green, I believe. filled the tub with just enough so the soap wouldn't run down the hose fittings.

be careful using a pressure washer, the force will flatten out the thin fins and block the rad totally.  i use a garden hose with a spray attachment held very close so there is no deflection to bend anything.

Just hold the pressure washer at a 90 degree angle and there shouldn't be any problems! Have done this with all of my vehicles and farm equipment  :thumb1: