• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tips for new torque converter install

Getting ready to install new billet torque converter in the old 47re.  Just wanting some tips on what else should be replaced while I have it out. Rear main, front pump seal kit? If anyone knows of a good brand pump seal kit let me know. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Also, what's the best filter?

Edited by rlane547

How many miles? If you are just going to replace the converter just a new seal, but I would suggest you look into going through the whole transmission since you have it out. Has the old converter been slipping? Then you for sure want to make sure there is no friction material anywhere in the system. Give us a little history on the transmission and what kind of power you have.

How many miles? If you are just going to replace the converter just a new seal, but I would suggest you look into going through the whole transmission since you have it out. Has the old converter been slipping? Then you for sure want to make sure there is no friction material anywhere in the system. Give us a little history on the transmission and what kind of power you have.

Transmission and torque converter working fine. Transmission had been rebuilt shortly before I bought the truck. I installed the shift kit a few months back and its great. Just moving up to single disc billet converter for a little insurance since buying a new travel trailer. I've adjusted the bands and kept fluid changed regularly so far. I don't feel like the tranny needs any work right now. When I did the shift kit I installed a new governor pressure sensor and solenoid and temp sensor. Tranny runs normal temps with or without a load. Just wanted a little better converter that was low stall. I have already ordered a pump seal kit.

You want to make sure you have about 3/16 clearance - between the flex plate when the converter is pushed back into the pump all the way. If it is more than this, then use a washer between the converter pad and the flex plate. If using a standard off the shelf washer I would suggest getting a hand full and miking them so they are close the the same thickness. If you have too tight of a clearance between the flex plate and pump you could kill either the pump, or the thrust bearing on the crank. If the clearance is too loose you run the risk of not having enough engagement with the front pump. 

I would also advise that you recheck the tightness of the converter bolts after you run it for a few hundred miles.

It is amazing what a difference just a better converter can do!

MnTom, I cant believe it. The shift kit was a very slight difference but adding the t/c changed it completely. We have a 400 mile trip pulling the travel this week. Can't wait to see how it does.

As a drag racer one of the most important components of the combo is the converter. 300 RPM difference in the stall can make all the difference in the world. Of course my converter stalls at 6200 RPM..  The car will perform totally different if it stalled at 5900, or 6500...

• Like 1