• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

5 speed transmission sound

Easiest way to explain is when i am down shifting into 3rd 2nd and 1st it sounds like its winding down, matching the rpms (as it slows, the sound slows). It does not do it in 5th and 4th and started not to long ago. any ideas of where to even start looking?

thanks for any help, i am sure more info will be needed so just ask away

Prolly got a main or counter shaft bearing going south, not as noticeable at higher speeds yet but starting to make noticeable noise as it slows.

Drop the oil and see what it looks like and if there looks to be a metallic look to it or if the oil looks and smells burnt. Might be time for a tear down and rebearing before it does fail and takes out a shaft and gears with it if it is a bearing dying.

Would be a good time to check all u-joints and rear driveline carrier bearing and rear end and t-case oil as well for the same issues, sound can does and will transfer.

I will do that tomorrow, looked at dipstick and did not find any metal flakes. Oil was changed 2100 miles ago and did not notice anything then (smell and color looked normal for 7500 mile change).

Did a quick run around again, inside rear driver side wheel is coated oil like substance that of course has crud mixed with it. Seal for that hub? 

Did a quick run around again, inside rear driver side wheel is coated oil like substance that of course has crud mixed with it. Seal for that hub? 

Certainly sounds like a seal. Make sure you check the bearings and races out good too.

smell that  leak...   and  make sure it's  what you think it is..   brake fluid or  axle  lube.   Does the leak appear  from the   flange (outside the rim)  or  is it  coming  out from the inside drum?

Is your  rear axle  REALLY hot after  a   20-30 mile  trip?    as in,    you  would really not want to  hold your hand  too long..    Hotter than  the  hottest  bath water you would take.    Feel the  axle hubs too.

There is  a  chance the noise is  coming from your rear axle..    Wild and  free    is  right on  'sound travels'!   have  a  bud   drive  while you sit in the box.. and  downshift  to  replicate your   symptoms.

sometimes  by putting your ear  right on top of the shift handle...   trans in N,   and   rap the throttle a little.        Instead of  a   nice  even  'whirling' noise...    a  bad  bearing  can sound    'chirpy'  gravely,   or  just plain ol  not smooth.

Edited by rancherman

I will do that tomorrow, looked at dipstick and did not find any metal flakes. Oil was changed 2100 miles ago and did not notice anything then (smell and color looked normal for 7500 mile change).

Dipstick???????????

I was talking about the tranny and other drivetrain components not the engine.

bottom bolt in the PTO cover is the drain, the fill is the plug on the side of the case although when I fill my trans I take the shifter out and fill through the top since its a whole lot easier that way. There are only a couple lubes out there for the NV4500 5speed that our trucks have, when I changed the fluid in my trans I used the amsoil MTG that is made specifically for the NV4500.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The trans fluid did not have a metallic look to it but did seem burnt(dark brown). the sound that was mentioned in the first post has gotten worse in 5th gear but not 4th.

Another issue, where the tcase and rear driveshaft is there is red fluid on the bottom of the bed so i know it is being slung, the tcase is still full of fluid from when i changed it about 6 months ago. I assume that is a seal

I know its a lot of different info