• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Where to get an ECU?

Prom, EEprom, RAM and as AH64ID said a few threads ago

"LMNOP",  What ever the correct terminology my 02 ECM died during Flash #2 with my new Smarty. No matter what the cycle rating is there are always exceptions............................just saying, lucky for me I had Marco and Bob W to help in finding this out.

This may not help, but here is my experience with ecm's .Last feb. I was having a problem with my ecm not powering the lift pump once the the engine temp got to 180 degrees.I had the dodge retrofit in tank pump with a relay, so I could jumper relay and get the lift pump to run. I messed around diagnosing it for about a month and finally determined that the ecm was failing when it got warm. I searched around the web and found all kinds of companies that would check my ecm out for 100 bucks, or rebuild it, or sell me a rebuilt one.I sent it to a place in Florida got a call back in a couple of days saying there was nothing wrong with it,got it back ,same as before. So I took it to a diesel shop here in Tucson .I for got to mention that it had codes po1693 po370 p0230 .the shop told me that they determined that the ecm was bad and the vp44 was bad and they'd be glad to fix it for 5000 bucks,and would refund the $200 diagnostic charge if I had the work done there. I talked to the service manager at the Dodge dealership that I knew and trusted and he told m that ecm's were not being made any more and the only ones they could get were rebuilt blank s and that the reprogramed them, he said they were out of them,but cummins had some for $1400. I decided to send my ecm to AES

in JAcksonville FL. .They kept it for 3 weeks ,finally sent it back saying the reason for the delay was the programs for these ecms were hard to get. When I got It back it wouldn't power up (no wait to start light)I sent it back with a threat to dispute the charges on my credit car. When I got it back it did start and seem to run ok, but I didn't have the ecm reflashed,I figured if

it aint broke don't fix it, I did go ahead and replace my VP44 and put in a fass 95 ,drop straw andbig line kit. Thanks to Mike and all the members on this site I was able to do this myself. Sorry about being so long winded.I hope this post helps someone so

they don't go thru what I went Thru.

Edited by hodag56
  • Like 1

The company that claimed it was hard to get the programs flat out lied. In 2 hours, I downloaded every single software revision for our generation of trucks for $35. When I worked auto salvage, we sold every ECM/PCM/module in every car the moment they came in. The companies flat out admitted that they just resell them & hope they work.

Ed

After that post I would be willing to let Ed try and rebuild it.

I have not heard good reviews about the place in Florida. I am stuck between Innovei In Texas and Klein Bottle Computer in New York. Klein has good PayPal ratings and I could probably get my money back if need be. That may tip the scales in that direction. I should look at the BBB ratings for each place. I would like to talk to someone on the phone before I pay or send off my ECU.

For as many ECU's as these people say the rebuild there are not many with experience on the forums.

After that post I would be willing to let Ed try and rebuild it.

I have not heard good reviews about the place in Florida. I am stuck between Innovei In Texas and Klein Bottle Computer in New York. Klein has good PayPal ratings and I could probably get my money back if need be. That may tip the scales in that direction. I should look at the BBB ratings for each place. I would like to talk to someone on the phone before I pay or send off my ECU.

For as many ECU's as these people say the rebuild there are not many with experience on the forums.

I called a bunch of them before I finally picked the one I used. They all tell you that they are the best and that they can fix any auto computer. My knowledge of computers is very limited, so most of the stuff I'm  hearing goes over my head.If I had it to do over again I wouid spend the extra money and get one from cummin,and maybe save some head aches

I called a bunch of them before I finally picked the one I used. They all tell you that they are the best and that they can fix any auto computer. My knowledge of computers is very limited, so most of the stuff I'm  hearing goes over my head.If I had it to do over again I wouid spend the extra money and get one from cummin,and maybe save some head aches.If Ed would rebuild it I would sure let him do it. He knows more about our trucks than  anybody.

Edited by hodag56

I called a bunch of them before I finally picked the one I used. They all tell you that they are the best and that they can fix any auto computer. My knowledge of computers is very limited, so most of the stuff I'm  hearing goes over my head.If I had it to do over again I wouid spend the extra money and get one from cummin,and maybe save some head aches

Who did you use? Any issues after they rebuilt it?

I would like to get a new one but they can't be found. Dodge says they just sell re-man ECU's and Cummins tells me it's a Dodge part.

My ECU has been giving me issues for the last 4-5 months now and finally took the truck to a shop to let them confirm what was the problem. After they did I had them replace the ECU and they said that they would only use original Dodge electrics as they were the only ones that had a guarantee on them. They said it came from the local dealer. 

I have about a week on the truck now with the new ECU and no codes and it runs fine but sure was not a cheap fix!  

• 2 weeks later...

I really doubt the dealership has a computer shop in the back. I would also wager someone other than Dodge rebuilds the ECU's they are selling. I may be delusional. I also find it interesting that Dodge sells you a non-programmed ECU and wants to charge you 300 something to program it. I had a guy at Cummins tell me they would sell one programmed out the door for 1260. There is about a 400 dollar discrepancy between Dodge and Cummins for the same part.