• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Misfortune with the wind

• Owner

I had a misfortune get me today. I was asked by the fire chief to help him with fire trucks and to meet him at Station #3 at 11:30am. I did just that. I showed up at the fire station backed into my usual spot. Sitting there I decided to get some stuff out of the back of the truck and when I opened my drivers door the wind caught pulled so hard I couldn't hang on. Blam! It slung the door so hard the the forward lip of the door made contact with the hinges and tweaked the upper hinge. Now the top of the door is out another 1/4". I'm hoping I can adjust the door again for now and be close. I'll get photos in the morning in the daylight.

You are going to be looking for a door. Once they get tweaked like that it is almost impossible to straighten out and get it back to normal. I know that is not what you wanteed to read, but..........

They were bent pretty good so we had to remove both before reinstalling the new ones. We tried supporting the door and replacing one at a time but quickly realized we were just fighting ourselves. What we did to save all the work of disconnecting the electrical (power doors, locks, windows, stereo) was roll the window down and hang it from our overhead crane with just enough tension to support the door. You could do this with a chain fall or come a long from the rafters of your garage too. Then removed both hinges and bolted the new ones in. We also marked the straight edges of the hinges that weren't bent with a fine paint marker so we could put the new ones back in the same. Luckily nothing else was bent so it was all pretty straight forward.

• Like 1

• Owner

They were bent pretty good so we had to remove both before reinstalling the new ones. We tried supporting the door and replacing one at a time but quickly realized we were just fighting ourselves. What we did to save all the work of disconnecting the electrical (power doors, locks, windows, stereo) was roll the window down and hang it from our overhead crane with just enough tension to support the door. You could do this with a chain fall or come a long from the rafters of your garage too. Then removed both hinges and bolted the new ones in. We also marked the straight edges of the hinges that weren't bent with a fine paint marker so we could put the new ones back in the same. Luckily nothing else was bent so it was all pretty straight forward.

I've got a engine hoist that might just do the trick.

You can use a floor jack with a block of wood between the jack and door to support it when adjusting with the hings loose.

Yeah... I'll give that a shot in the morning.

Sorry to hear the incident if quad cab hinges work I got a set off the cab that is going to scrap Monday there is nothing wrong just got a complete assembled cab with doors so I didn't bother trying to swap over the old hinges name a price and they are yours got driver and passenger side for all I care pay to have them shipped and they are yours.

P.S. that is only surface rust easy clean up

Cheers to a new year and better fortune  :thumb1:

post-252-0-72009400-1420269791_thumb.jpg

Edited by MoparFreak1988

This exact same thing happened to my toyota last year. hinges were sprung, and the front door edge hit the fender when you opened and closed the door.

I took a block of wood, and put it in the front jamb. manually pulled back on the door, and sprung the hinges almost to where they were originally. Gap is now almost perfect again I think some of the sprungness was the pillar itself was distorted.

Except for the 'contact' area of chipped paint and the 2 dents where the front door edge contacted the hinges.. It's good as new. (almost) :)

I can't remember, are'nt the hinges spot welded on? You might also want to check that when it got yanked the body did not get out whack too. That part could be the worst to fix.

It is mind boggling how at work how many time this happens on all kinds of equipment, no common sense in most cases along with complacency. Folks born and raised in our wind and this still happens way to often. :doh:

I've opened my door one time in a pretty strong wind storm and held on as hard as I could and it still got whipped open. It was not as severe, but with the amount of surface area the door makes as you open it, its like a friggin' wind sail! You could probably coast the truck down the road with both doors open!

Edited by hex0rz