• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Went to install a j-hook tonight and noticed my HY35 has a fair amount of shaft play and some oil residue starting to form inside the turbo. I read awhile back and again tonight that an HX35 will bolt right in, and help with egt's and give up a few more psi in the boost department. It just so happens I have a buddy with an HX35 sitting on a shelf in his garage that he said I could pretty much have, but he said it could probably use a rebuild. He thinks its off a 12v but isnt quite sure, from what I've read the only difference is the number of fins on the impeller, 8 for a 12v 7 for 24? As far as rebuilds go is it worth buying a rebuild kit and doing it yourself or sending it out and having it rebuilt?

Download the rebuild manual from Holset & decide honestly if you can do it.

Ed

Glanced over the rebuild procedures and would rather send it out than try and rebuild it myself. Any suggestions for a place to send it?

Also would it be worth the extra effort to have it changed to an HX35/40 hybrid?

Industrial Injection has them for $800-900, but for that price I'd upgrade to a new turbo for $1,100.

Looked at their site and they had HX's for 910 bucks. Did some more reading about HX swaps and some say to upgrade to an s300g. From what I saw the price difference isnt that much, would stock injectors support the s300g?

Anyone have or know where I can get the part numbers for the gasket between the exhaust manifold and turbo, and for around the oil line? Also is there any other gaskets or parts I should replace with a turbo swap?

Cummins in Duluth.

rockauto has a gasket set VICTOR REINZ Part # GS33582  not sure on quality $12.23

also have a rebuild kit ROTOMASTER Part # H1350310N $36.79

I'm curious what makes a turbo rebuild hard?  I've never put one together, but I took one apart  :ashamed:

Yes genuine holset parts are zero balanced so, compressor wheel is balanced by itself and turbine wheel and shaft are balanced together. its perfectly safe to take the compressor wheel off and put it back on and not have to worry about balancing.