• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Why is my right tire wearing on the outside?

Pass. side tire is wearing on the outside. Actually both are but pass. side much worse. Wheel is centered and truck goes down the road straight. Didn't notice any worn or loose parts. Before I spend a day in the alignment shop I wanted to try myself but not sure which way to go?

Chances are you either have to much toe in or a ball joint problem. Ball joints are easy to check just jack the truck up and pull the top and bottom of the tire in and out and watch to see if the ball joints move. To much toe in could either be bad adjustment or more likely bad end joints on the crossover linkage. but then again I would think if its was a toe problem both tires would be wearing. Toe in spec is around 3/16-1/8 of and inch.

Edited by bjytech
  • Like 1

• Owner

Too many left turns just like Nascar!!!!! :duh:

:lmao::lmao2:

Ummm... Sometimes that isn't all true. Like my truck it now starting to show the feathering on the inside of the tires so I know I've got a mild alignment issues happening. I'll have to look it over and see what's going as well. I'm going to bet is going to be toe related.

I  put about  1/8th toe  yesterday..  all new parts though.         Handles  very nicely!  

I posted on my thread yesterday,  but it's  buried  pretty deep in the  site by now..      Can  someone confirm or   condemn my idea of the steering stabilizer's job of   not only  absorbing the shock  in the steering..  but  the gas filled  shock also keeps  pressure on the  link in front of the   diff cover? ( and   rotated away from said  diff cover?)

Once that tires'  started to wear,  it's gonna go  quickly,  even if  you  'fix' the  problem.  (throw it on the rear axle)   I usually put  4 new tires  on the  dually, and  put the  old fronts  on the outside duals.

i was told wear on the outside was toe out. because the caster... it's that way on our race cars... inside was toe in and outside wear was toe out.

You are right, scrolling through this thread again I got thinking about just that.

I was wrong in my first post about to much toe in, it would be toe out that would cause wear on the outside of the tire.

• Like 1

You are right, scrolling through this thread again I got thinking about just that.

I was wrong in my first post about to much toe in, it would be toe out that would cause wear on the outside of the tire.

Good to know. I was unsure about that.

• Owner

Ok. I want to jump in here too. I'm also with the feathering of the inside of the tires. Now I did the beer can alignment and roughly measured about 1/8" toe in. Basically I jacked up the front axle and using 2 short drywall screws I barely start them in a thick lug of the tread. So now at a straight forward you measure. Then you rotate the screw to point straight back and measure. I get the 1/8" more. That doesn't seem bad. But the feather seems stronger on the driver side.

• Like 1

Ok. I want to jump in here too. I'm also with the feathering of the inside of the tires. Now I did the beer can alignment and roughly measured about 1/8" toe in. Basically I jacked up the front axle and using 2 short drywall screws I barely start them in a thick lug of the tread. So now at a straight forward you measure. Then you rotate the screw to point straight back and measure. I get the 1/8" more. That doesn't seem bad. But the feather seems stronger on the driver side.

Thanks, I'll try that. I also have a feather to the inside, but outside pass. tire pretty near worn out.

When my 02 was doing this it ended up being the control arm bushings, the right side would rock back just a little and caused same issue, I replaced them with eBay control arms and all was better.

This is an issue a lot do not catch especially on the older rigs now. Anything with rubber mounts are prone to this. I am a big fan of replacing any rubber bushings and mounts with Poly Urethane bushings rather than replacing good hard parts just because of worn out dry rotted rubber.http://www.genosgarage.com/ENERGY-SUSPENSION-FRONT-CONTROL-ARM-BUSHINGS-94-02-4WD/productinfo/ES_53120G/#.VOFI8rB0yUk

http://www.genosgarage.com/ENERGY-SUSPENSION-MOTOR-MOUNT-INSERTS-985-02-24V/productinfo/ES_51116G/#.VOFJTbB0yUk

This is an issue a lot do not catch especially on the older rigs now. Anything with rubber mounts are prone to this. I am a big fan of replacing any rubber bushings and mounts with Poly Urethane bushings rather than replacing good hard parts just because of worn out dry rotted rubber.http://www.genosgarage.com/ENERGY-SUSPENSION-FRONT-CONTROL-ARM-BUSHINGS-94-02-4WD/productinfo/ES_53120G/#.VOFI8rB0yUk

http://www.genosgarage.com/ENERGY-SUSPENSION-MOTOR-MOUNT-INSERTS-985-02-24V/productinfo/ES_51116G/#.VOFJTbB0yUk

When I do my front end I'll defenetely be getting a set of these.

• Owner

Yeah common on 2WD truck but exempt on 4WD trucks.