• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

overflowing power steering fluid

Im a new guy on this forum, This is my first post and hope to exchange a lot of infro on this site, Any way I have been tyring to figure out an annoying leak comming from ps pump out the cap for months, The pump seems to Be genarating fluid and overflowing out cap. I can drain pump down a bit and it wont leak for awhile, then about a few hundres miles later it gains a few ounces and pukes it out cap, and of course makes a mess everywhere. I have already changed fluid (put ps fluid back in) and bled system, so I know those ideas wont help, I rebuilt vacuum pump about 150,00 miles ago, and there is no external leakage. The oil comming out of pump is real black, Is it possable for engine oil to seep in there internaly. There is no external leakage around hydroboost, but my brakes dont seem to have the poiwer assist they used to, and my steering seems fine. So any ideas would be helpfull before I start replacing parts that I dont have to.

• Owner

Apparently the oil is getting push past the seal into the pump if the power steering fluid is black with engine oil. I've never really paid attention to the seal placement is it riding on the input shaft or what... But some how your getting oil into the power steering. Unless the power steering system is that contaminated.

Still scratching my head. :think:

I just changed out ps pump. and I'm glad I decided to do vac pump seals, because the seal on the vac pump was butchered, I have no idea why it wasn't leaking externally, but got it back together, and bled out, no signs of overflow so far, and I poured about 2.5 quarts of ps fluid through before it started to clear up.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just went outside and my power steering is overflowing again. The pattern I'm seeing the same as last time is the truck has sat for days with no use and a warming up temperature change outside from the last few days of cold.

I just got back from a 1000 mile trip to Roosevelt lake in central Arizona, I double towed my 10,000 lb fifth wheel and bass boat, and with all the steep grades Colorado and Arizona has to offer my baby didn't miss a beat. and my power steering issue is gone. I am 100% sure it was sucking in engine oil form the seal in the vac pump and the ps pump. As for filling it I just jacked front wheels off ground, disconnected line at hydroboost and ran it into a container. As my kid worked steering back and forth I kept pouring in until fluid cam out clean. I just wanted to make sure I got all the old crap completely out of system.

• Like 1