• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Alternator Diode

• Owner

Well... you say that but I wonder what real world data would say? Mike, which one do you have? How many miles? Mine is original at 188k and goin strong.

My OEM gave up the ghost at about 180k miles and the diode were still passing but the bearings failed. I think I had a Bosch the case was larger and the new one in ND which appears smaller size case.

Hey guys,

I pulled my alternator apart the other day and saw that the slip rings were horriable and were starting to really eat into the brush pack. So today I shot a video of my alternator AC voltage, pulled the alternator and then polished the slip rings and then the brush pack.

Initial testing was somewhat promising as the tc lock up didn't return. The ac voltage was more stable, very stable infact. However, the AC voltage was still higher then desired.

• 4 weeks later...

So after 3 weeks the tc lock up issues came back.

I pulled the alternator to swap in Larry b' s diode pack only to find out the brush was garbage.

So I pulled out another Napa alternator and cleaned up the brush pack and slip rings. I then installed Larry's diode pack in.

I'm installing it tonight into the dodge. I will keep everyone updated.

This thread might help, page 3 is where are some parts for Bosch which is outdated and I was told get a denso. Whatever you do don't trade yours for the one at auto parts store. Rebuilt what you got.

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/index.php?/topic/5903-no-codes-but-will-surge-a-little-on-steady-hwy-speeds-or-up-hills-please-help/?hl=diode

So far after fixing my alternator I had no problems surging, but 60 hp injectors from dap defiantly have less power then my old ones that were 75 to 100 hp 8 x something and mp went down hill.