• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Alternator Diode

Report:

Took My alternator off and to a local Alt/Starter rebuild shop. To double check it for bad diodes. My alternator bench tested OK . He then took the back off and to check the diodes individually with a meter, and I had "1" bad diode

I was charging Volts:  D.C. 14.30 and My A.C. was .055+/-

Moparmans video, he checked Volts at:  DC 14.25,  AC .005-.015   IIRC

The Alternator Shop (Jason) Ordered a new Rectifier/diode pack about $25 and Im putting in new brushes $9.00 as long as I had it apart.

The above numbers are a reference to go by .

My Alternating Voltage Test A.C. .055+/- I thought was ok , But I did actually have 1 bad diode. There are 8 diodes on the diode pack

I will recheck my AC volt reading with 'New/Good Diode Reference' when reinstalled the Alt. with its new diode pack

Rick

Edited by GSP7
  • Like 1

I have a Denso alt. I'll get a part #.

I saw LarryB has rectifiers/Diode pack, But $75 is way, way over priced, Pretty sure they are cheap chinese too.   Even searching on line I found them for $35

After seeing what the Alternator shop guy work on mine and what he did and checked. I can check my diodes at home next time with my fluke multi tester

If your original 'quality' diodes are good, I wouldn't replace them unless they go bad

Edited by GSP7

Found this:

http://www.aspwholesale.com/index.php?_a=category&cat_id=108

Select, make, model, year and you can find part #'s for all alternator parts and starter parts

for my '99--- Rectifier - Nippondenso 120-136A ER/IF Alternators w/ 130mm OD Stator

Product Code: INR734P

Rick

Edited by GSP7

My GOOD Alternator just installed with New Diode Pack, New Brushes Tested with a Fluke meter- Volts DC 14.2 / AC .019-.027+/-

AC is down from .055+/-

Jason that owns the Alternator shop says the AC wave numbers test he doesnt use, and dont mean anything to him, He removes the Rectifier/Diodes and checks them each diode on a meter.

It looks like checking the AC volt wave does show a reference for a bad diode or diodes though

He also told my NO rectifiers or other parts are made in USA anymore. All available parts are made in china/korea.

Denso japan doesnt even sell replacement Diode packs etc either, just the whole alternator

Edited by GSP7
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hey guys,I just wanted to let you guys know that I'm hot on the trail with the rectifier, I spoke to Larry B and picked one up for testing on a Napa alternator, and I will see how it goes.

I also am looking into finding them and making them reasonable as well. We will see. I shall keep you informed.

• Like 3

• Owner

Like my conversation with Pepsi over the phone the big problem is who is re-manufacturing alternators. Like NAPA might have several places scattered around the US who knows if they hold the same quality standards from place to place. As for diode failure its from heat created by high current flow lke during extended  grid heater use.

• Like 1

• Staff

I will be pulling both of the alternators apart to compare them. And I hope that the rectifier will work in both.

I will also make an article out of it as well.

This so good that you are going to do this. I will bet the Denso is better built than the Bosch.

There is a big deal about Balmar Alternators in the marine industry. Very expensive, I hear sailors rely on them to help survive at sea, but, sheesh! $5-700 bucks each.... that's going overboard. Problem too is you don't really know if they are that much better and when you realize the disadvantage they place on their units by painting them. That's not right as it won't dissipate heat with the heavy powder coat on them.

This so good that you are going to do this. I will bet the Denso is better built than the Bosch.

There is a big deal about Balmar Alternators in the marine industry. Very expensive, I hear sailors rely on them to help survive at sea, but, sheesh! $5-700 bucks each.... that's going overboard. Problem too is you don't really know if they are that much better and when you realize the disadvantage they place on their units by painting them. That's not right as it won't dissipate heat with the heavy powder coat on them.

Well... you say that but I wonder what real world data would say? Mike, which one do you have? How many miles? Mine is original at 188k and goin strong.

• Staff

I had my denso go for 240k on my first gen Dodge, so I switched from Bosch to a Denso on my second gen truck when the AC noise level was a bit too high. The mileage was around 50/60 k when I switched it out.