• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Aftermarket wheels

angus

I have been looking around at aftermarket aluminum rims, and it looks like 5" backspacing is the only common option available in 17X9 w8X6.5 lug??

My steel OEMs have a 6 1/4" backspace.  This would look great with my free spin hubs, but I`m just curious what the wider stance looks like.

Anybody have some good pics??

Edited by angus

• Staff

I am about 2" wider with my 19.5's than the OEM wheels and I like the look of the increased stance.

What size tires do you plan to run? Chains may be an issue with decreased backspacing.

Here is what I came up with for widths.

OEM steel/Alum 17x8 6.25" BS. Outer rim is 1.75" from WMS

Aftermarket 17x9 with 5" BS. Outer rim is 4" from WMS, or 2.25" wider.

Unless your tires are brand new and worth keeping I wouldn't spend a penny on aftermarket 17's. 17's are the bastard child of LT tires, with 3195lbs quickly becoming the highest rating you can have. Tires that were 3970 a couple years ago are now stamped 3195lbs. 17's are rated lower than 16's, 18's, and many 20's.

The #1 reason I ended up with 19.5's was the lack of options with 17's and I was able to get into 19.5's for barely more than 18's and a LOT higher load rating and service life.

If 6380lbs on the rear axle is enough for you then disregard :-) Just wanted to throw it out there.

Here is a pic of my 19.5's. They are 19.5x7.5" with a 0 offset, or 3.75" of BS. The outer rim width is 3.75" from the WMS, or 0.25" narrower than the Aftermarket 17's you listed. There will be approx 1.5" more rim to the inside on 17x9's, and tire depends on the size.

I have Yukon hubs which are wider than the Spyntec's, but my lockouts are narrower.

bbfa38204362c633235faeab1f1255b1.jpg

• Like 1

What wheels and tires are you running there, AH64?  

Nevermind.  

245/70R19.5 M608z LRG on Black Vision Type 81 Heavy Haulers with Counteract Balance Beads

Edited by CSM
  • Like 1

I am about 2" wider with my 19.5's than the OEM wheels and I like the look of the increased stance.

What size tires do you plan to run? Chains may be an issue with decreased backspacing.

Here is what I came up with for widths.

OEM steel/Alum 17x8 6.25" BS. Outer rim is 1.75" from WMS

Aftermarket 17x9 with 5" BS. Outer rim is 4" from WMS, or 2.25" wider.

Unless your tires are brand new and worth keeping I wouldn't spend a penny on aftermarket 17's. 17's are the bastard child of LT tires, with 3195lbs quickly becoming the highest rating you can have. Tires that were 3970 a couple years ago are now stamped 3195lbs. 17's are rated lower than 16's, 18's, and many 20's.

The #1 reason I ended up with 19.5's was the lack of options with 17's and I was able to get into 19.5's for barely more than 18's and a LOT higher load rating and service life.

If 6380lbs on the rear axle is enough for you then disregard :-) Just wanted to throw it out there.

Here is a pic of my 19.5's. They are 19.5x7.5" with a 0 offset, or 3.75" of BS. The outer rim width is 3.75" from the WMS, or 0.25" narrower than the Aftermarket 17's you listed. There will be approx 1.5" more rim to the inside on 17x9's, and tire depends on the size.

I have Yukon hubs which are wider than the Spyntec's, but my lockouts are narrower.

bbfa38204362c633235faeab1f1255b1.jpg

I`m running 265/70 17  Cooper S/T maxx.  They only have about 12k on them.

Ironically I rarely tow anything with this truck,, its my old GMC that gets the workouts.

I notice you have fender flares on your truck.. I have seen some that look really good, and some others that are down right hideous looking!

http://www.autoanything.com/fender-flares/61A2948A0A0.aspx

These EGRs might be a nice addition??

I`m wondering if the 2nd gen Dana axles are a tad bit narrower than the AAG axles?? I have a set of 2nd gen 16" wheels and caps and they seem to have a deeper dish.. or less backspacing than my 3rd gen.