• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Frantz Filter being removed.

Not an amsoil thing at all, its a way of thinking thing, old school way of wasting money or modern way of conserving. :smart: You preach conservation and wanting to save money every place but then turn a blind eye here.

I really don't give a crap what one uses they just offer high quality stuff in a kit at one place is the only reason I posted that.

People are and will always be stuck on the old wasteful ways of thinking period. They think because the price of X is half of Z they are saving money without making the other changes that need to go along with it.

• Like 1

That's the hard part for me...knowing how much of the oil is being filtered and what's passing by the frantz system. I'm getting tired of loosing oil all over my fender well each paper change too.

How many miles can you get out of an amsoil cartridge? Are there any cheaper alternatives to the amsoil cartridges that filter to the same level.

Are there any cheaper alternatives to the amsoil cartridges that filter to the same level.

To make a long story short,no. The FS2500 is the only other system out there that I am aware of that filters down to the 2-3 micron range but it is more than the Amsoil kit. Edited by diesel4life

The only way to get better pricing is to become a member, but then there is the membership fee that has to be figured into the overall cost. If one was to buy 2 or 3 filters the membership may be worth it, otherwise probably not if that is the only thing you plan on buying.

• Owner

Kind of like the 3 micron Donaldson Fuel filter I got that still passes debris to my stock 10 micron fuel filter that seem to catch it.

2zeymj4.jpg

The way I look at things a second filter just that extra chance of catching debris in fuel or oil. Like most say I should have it the other way around stock at 3 micron and AirDog at 10 micron. But as you can see it does do something for the fuel. As for longevity the VP44 is still going. Now why wouldn't a 8 micron bypass filter work? When most full flow are more like 20-30 microns. Just another change at picking up some of the debris. I'm still going to change oil at 7.5k to 10k miles.

Does the length of the paper really matter? Fit it tight into the cover and make sure the hole fits snug and go. Only adaption I can see is the hole and reel enough off to fit the cover. I just checked mine and its flow is like an old man...slow and weak. That tells me that the filter is getting plugged and working. I just need to figure out some kind of bib system to catch the spillage when changing paper.

You can order the factory paper for $3 a roll or less. Seems like a good solution compared to cost of the spin on's.

Current stock of TP under the bathroom sink Scott is 4.2", pleanty of diameter and 1.6" tube diameter. Sounds about right for the one supplied tube sleeve.

The toilet paper dimension change is no different than any of the food changes in product size. Perceived value compares to what we're used to. Price doesn't go up but less product for the same price. Ergo potato chips, coffee, ice cream. Everything is smaller than it used to be. How much money is saved on .10" increase in tube size? A few bucks with millions of units sold.

• Owner

I just spent some serious reading time over on "Bob's the oil guy" and the Common answer to Cummins bypass oil filter is either Baldwin B50 (Wix 51050) or Frantz Bypass (TP filters). Very few people seem to favor the AMSOil bypass because of the cost. Most go with the spin on filter because it much cleaner to deal with a spin on filter than opening a can pulling oil soaked TP roll out. Spin on filters are more commonly available to get without mail ordering. But there is always a argument on how the AMSOil bypass is so much better rating. Like most that do go this route are looking at cost of operation and maintenance TP filters are the cheapest to use, the Wix 51050 is next in line.

Like myself I'm not really into the whole super long extended drain intervals just want to give some extra protection on filtering the oil. Like most use the blood cell measurement at 6-8 microns. Most full flow filters are at 20-30 microns. Now lets convert this...

30 microns = 0.001181102 Inch (1.1 Thousandths)

20 Microns = 0.000787402 Inch (0.7 Thousandths)

8 Microns = 0.000314961 Inch (0.3 Thousandths)

6 Microns = 0.00023622 Inch (0.2 Thousandths)

3 Microns = 0.00011811 Inch (0.1 Thousandths)

I just spent some serious reading time over on "Bob's the oil guy" and the Common answer to Cummins bypass oil filter is either Baldwin B50 (Wix 51050) or Frantz Bypass (TP filters). Very few people seem to favor the AMSOil bypass because of the cost. Most go with the spin on filter because it much cleaner to deal with a spin on filter than opening a can pulling oil soaked TP roll out. Spin on filters are more commonly available to get without mail ordering. But there is always a argument on how the AMSOil bypass is so much better rating. Like most that do go this route are looking at cost of operation and maintenance TP filters are the cheapest to use, the Wix 51050 is next in line.

Like myself I'm not really into the whole super long extended drain intervals just want to give some extra protection on filtering the oil. Like most use the blood cell measurement at 6-8 microns. Most full flow filters are at 20-30 microns. Now lets convert this...

30 microns = 0.001181102 Inch (1.1 Thousandths)

20 Microns = 0.000787402 Inch (0.7 Thousandths)

8 Microns = 0.000314961 Inch (0.3 Thousandths)

6 Microns = 0.00023622 Inch (0.2 Thousandths)

3 Microns = 0.00011811 Inch (0.1 Thousandths)

Mike think of it this way, the big particle will embed in the bearing and or get caught in the filter the finer the particles like soot have the most and fastest wear properties, imagine 800 grit sand paper working over your bearings all day versus a single large particle. We see cam failures in brand new Cat engines on a regular basis from high soot levels which is what very good bypass filters will help out with, even better than bypass filters are spinner centrifuges.

• Owner

Trust me Wild & Free I really do understand.

That's why I'm looking for a economic solution to this. I could do the redesign my current Frantz Filter and fix its flaws. Or consider a spin on bypass filter that I can get locally. I got to admit the spinner is a nice idea but once again has a few flaws. Initial cost can be rather high for them and also now back to a messy job of cleaning it up again a possibly a leaking o-ring later like my Frantz filter was doing when I pulled it off. The bonus to the spinner is technically there is nothing to buy for the spinner other than o-rings as they wear out.

That's why like with the fuel system even stacking two average fuel filters in line is better protection than just the stock filter. So even with stock full flow filter the bypass filter will pick up the other stuff the full flow will not. Of course down to a limit as specified by the design of filter. But even over on Bob the oil guy they are saying as the filter start to fill with debris the filtering ability will improve. Bypass filter don't have a bypass valve like full flows do so they just plug up and quit flowing. I know soot is smaller than 8um but again I'm not going the long haul super extended oil changes.

But even over on Bob the oil guy they are saying as the filter start to fill with debris the filtering ability will improve.

That is a very dangerous statement and is totally dependant on the filter media and style and type of filter...................WAAAAAY too many variables there to make a blanket statement like that, this is where people get into trouble.

• Owner

I understand that too. Because the fact again I'm not planing on super long extended oil changes. But also I do understand the function differences of bypass filter vs. full flow that include a bypass valve. I would never want to run a filter to full plugged state either.