• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

OEM Injectors

OK;  to kinda go along with the couple posts in the 2nd gen forum about the VP and auto tranny, I'm asking how many miles y'all have on your OEM Common Rail injectors.  Mighty Whitey has 223,2xx miles on them as of today.

I bought my 3rd gen used with 80K + miles so I don't 'really' know the truthful answer to your question.

However, I am suspecting that when I got the truck it was still on the original injectors.

The truck seemed to run fine but my complaint was that under reasonable acceleration I was getting smoke and if I did a hard acceleration then I got even more smoke.  But the truck ran fine and I was getting reasonable mpgs (19-20 on trips).

However, at about 120k miles I put the Smarty S06-Pod on the truck and it would really smoke even just using SW3 or SW5.

So I put a set of new BMS injectors with 50hp DDP nozzles and the smoke went away (that is unless I am using the higher SW levels with torque numbers cranked in). 

Now the truck is much cleaner and with the S06 and new injectors my mpgs are up (21-22 on trips hand calculated).  :hyper:

I replaced my old injectors in my 2000 at 130k and my 2002 at 149k. Both times I was quite impressed with the improvement.

I plan on replacing these again around 300k and pop testing in the interim.

• Staff

The chance of HPCR injectors passing enough tests with over 200K miles on them is slim. The tests compare them to new standards and even injectors that are working great at 223K won't pass the OE standards tests. It's not like pop testing older injectors as the testing machine is looking at 17 (IIRC) standards from reaction time, to quantity, to return flow at different open times and pressures.

You have  gotten your moneys worth and any more money should be put into new injectors.

• Like 1

• Owner

The chance of HPCR injectors passing enough tests with over 200K miles on them is slim. The tests compare them to new standards and even injectors that are working great at 223K won't pass the OE standards tests. It's not like pop testing older injectors as the testing machine is looking at 17 (IIRC) standards from reaction time, to quantity, to return flow at different open times and pressures.

You have  gotten your moneys worth and any more money should be put into new injectors.

I tend to agree. Out here its common practise to see people drive it till the injectors fail. Then the owner gets the bad news the engine is ruined and needs at least a short block and new injectors. I don't know of many that have made it past 200k miles without issues starting to sneak in. If you not willing to test the injectors I would test the oil looking for fuel in the oil.

I tend to agree. Out here its common practise to see people drive it till the injectors fail. Then the owner gets the bad news the engine is ruined and needs at least a short block and new injectors. I don't know of many that have made it past 200k miles without issues starting to sneak in. If you not willing to test the injectors I would test the oil looking for fuel in the oil.

Yeah, I know what your saying guys.  It's just hard to pull them when the truck is running good and there are no signs of impending doom...........no hard starts, no white smoke on start up, not making oil, still real good mileage.  Kinda like;  "If it ain't broke fix it until it is!"

• Like 1