• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

speed alert error on Edge Juice, then no fuel

Hi, new to this forum.

I have a 2001 Dodge 2500 cummins HO 6 spd with Air Dog, Edge Juice with Attitude, 100 hp injectors and other intake and exhaust mods, about 367,000 miles.

I've had the Edge, Air Dog etc for over 5 years, can't remember when I put it all in, with no problems.

Recently I started getting "speed alert" alarms on the Edge display. I gave crazy numbers like 134 mph when I was only going say 40. Sometimes sitting still. After this happened a few times, it would stop sending fuel until the error was gone. sometimes it would go on and off several times, so you're driving along, and fuel is cutting on and off. The speedometor always gave the correct speed and never acted erratically when this happened.

I replaced the speed sensor in the rear end twice and it still kept happening. (my truck does not have speed sensors on the front) If I disconnected the sensor, I didn't have the fuel problem.

I also replaced the Cam Sensor for good measure while I had the power steering pump off to rebuild the vacuum pump.

I replaced the APPS and that fixed it. Then the problem came back. I'm currently driving with the speed sensor disconnected. I'm going to try disconnecting the Edge and reconnect the spd sensor and see if fuel cuts out.

Edge support says it gets the speed alert from the computor. I got a couple speed alerts even without the speed sensor connected.

Could my computor be bad? Could I have a short or something in the wiring?

Has anyone else heard of this?

Thanks.

Is the edge set to display alert for speed?  Can you disable it? 

Where does the edge read speed from ( question for edge) I would guess that the issue has to do with the edge though.  If the speedo reads right then I wouldn't think there is an issue.

I am unaware of any "alert" the trucks computer sends out.  top speed limiter?

Edge people say they get the speed from the computor.

You can't disable the speed alert on the Edge but you can increase the speed that will give you an alert. I increased it to 200 mph and didn't get the alert but the problem is that the fuel cuts out and in as you're driving so you lose power and people get mad cause they think you're slowing down and speeding up on purpose. I guess its a governor or something in the dodge system when you're going too fast. But I'm not going 125 mph or whatever it thinks I am at the time.

I suppose I could try another APPS (that's what fixed it a few months back) but I'm not getting any codes to indicate that it's bad.

When the problem came back about 2 weeks ago, it was raining. I don't know if that was a coincidence or if there's a short when it's wet. When I originally had the problem, it happened wet or dry. It's weird because sometimes you can go a long time, sometimes days before it will happen, then all of a sudden it won't stop happening. Its driving me nuts. I don't really know if the things I did that I thought fixed it really fixed it or not. But it didn't happen for about 4-5 months since I replaced the APPS.

I've read where people said their speedo wasn't working because of dirt on the ring gear where the speed sensor hits a mark. Before all this happened, I changed my rearend gear oil and when I filled it up, I had the rearend still jacked up. I guess its possible that I have too much oil in it. I can try taking out the plug while its sitting level.

got ya. 

Yea sounds like your truck is defueling for a top speed limiter.  Have you replaced the tranny speed sensor?  

I would also check the wire junction near the drivers front tire.  It tends to get a ton of abuse and that can cause shorting issues.  

It's a 6 spd manual so it doesn't have a tranny spd sensor.

When you say wire junction near driver's front tire, is it a connector or just a spot where two bundles of wire join? At one point in trying to fix this I disconnected and cleaned a connector mounted on the bottom of the driver's wheel well.

I was also thinking that before I rebuilt the vacuum pump (on the Pwr Steering pump) and put in a kit to divert the blow-by oil on the crank breather, I had a lot of oil leaking on the front and driver's side of the engine. I've seen some other forums talking about posible bad alternator, ecm, ground connections, etc. They had similar symptoms as mine, but weren't getting speed alert. They might not have had an Edge so if that's the case they wouldn't get the speed alert.

I'm going to check those things out. I've since cleaned the engine and don't have any oil dripping at all but at one time, I had oil all over the place. It leaked out of the stock crank breather bottle and the fan blew it all over the front. It could have gotten into the alt. Also the vacuum pump sent oil all over the driver's side of  the engine where the ecm is so it's connector may need to be cleaned along with grounds.

That's what is weird about the whole thing. The speed on the actual speedometer never goes erratic. Just get a speed alert on the Edge display. And it was the APPS that fixed it for 4-5 months until it came back. I replaced the speed sensor twice before the APPS and nothing changed. The two are tied together to make cruise control work. But even though the speedometer is giving a correct reading the computor is sending a bogus speed reading to the Edge.

Yea, replaced speed sensor on rearend twice, don't have them on the front.

The real problem is fuel cuts out sometimes when driving. I could care less if there's an ABS/Brake light on, or that the Edge display shows "speed alerts".

Would any of this have anything to do with the problem? Maybe bad wiring from speed sensor to ABS module causing bogus speed alerts that are causing fuel to stop intermittently?

• 3 months later...

It was dirty battery connections.

A few days after the last post, back in May, I replaced the alternator. At the same time, I cleaned the battery terminals because they had a lot of acid buildup. The problem was fixed.

Then, a few months later, it came back. Not gradually, just one day on my way home from work, it started again and happened every few seconds. When I got home, the battery connections were built up with acid buildup again, I cleaned them and it went away.

When I get some spare $$, I'll probably replace the battery cables and batteries. The batteries are still "good" but I think they leak and probably causing so much white cakey acid buildup. Some of the connectors on the cables are cracked, I don't like cutting them off and  using the generic ends because the cable slips out sometimes. But the original cables are so expensive.

What irritates me is the few times I've taken it somewhere to be worked on, the "mechanic" doesn't have enough sense to stop tightning the cable when can't be moved on the terminal. The metal is soft and the battery bolt can be tightened to hell and back and it isn't going to make the connection any tighter, it just ruins a $100 battery cable and probably causes the battery to leak. One of the negative terminals on one battery is oval shaped because they tightened it up so hard.

I do most of my own work but occasionally take it somewhere. When I get new cables, from here on out, I'm going to explain how much they cost and tell them they'll have to buy me new ones if they bust em. Hell, its a 15 year old truck with close to 400.000 miles on it so maybe its time to get some new cables.