• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

my 04.5 & me..smarty jr..lite pedal/smoke

ok bill, you suggested i 'fire up' a thread, so here i go! [popcorn ready? :popcorn:] Since i 'applied' your 'old' smartyJR , i have noticed lite black smoke under [easy] throttle; enough to notice when i watch for it . Heavy throttle  = a 'nice' cloud of black & thats ok, i will not  be there long! :burnout:  Only changes i made of late  are i swapped my old trucks flo-pro exh. & made it a CAT back, 4'' w/ 24'' straight through muffler. The exit pipe is at a better place for me to watch now so maybe its always been blowing black?. Truck starts great & idles clean. Smarty smoke?, or sloppy injectors? I did the 'rev. to 3000rpms for 10 sec. & let off test' & it comes down notchy but steadily. sw2, torque @ 2 or 1= no difference. Once im up to speed i dont see smoke anymore, prob. good to be watching the road! :)  The intake air filter is dirty [not bad], but should be replaced.  My next :drool:  project is to made a air box for the intake, 'i know i can buy one!!', but i HAVE a new 2nd  gen. S&B filter that came w/ the cold air intake sooooo i'll make a box that fits this truck! The S&B is a 'left over' from my old truck & will fit the 04.5 stock piping with the help of a 4'' s.s. pipe. Be intristing to see if the s&b does more then make more noise.   thoughts?  [  Hows the popcorn? ]

• Owner

Be aware of washable media filters. A lot of people jump on that bandwagon and then fall prey to the dusted engines. Washable filter are pricey but there is no way of knowing how many times you can wash the filter and reuse it before it starting to fail and pass dust into your engine. This is why I will suggest staying to normal paper element if possible. At least you know when the filter is dirty you throw the entire filter and dirt in the trash. Another trick is spray the mouth of the air box with WD40 with light film. If a filter is failing to seal it will leave a dust in the film of WD40.

• Staff

Set the PoD to 90, get a clean air filter and try again. If that doesn't work try timing on 3.

As far as air filters you cannot, and will not, get better performance than an OEM box with an OEM filter and a Home Depot cold air intake at that power level. Anything else is going to compromise filtration and/or intake air temp.

BHAFs are not the best idea on HPCRs, and if it wasn't for the fact the OEM boxes are prone to sealing issues on a 2nd gen I would say the same thing for them. HOT engine bay air is NOT what you want to feed your turbo with.

hmmmmmm, i'll keep an eye on my filter, Michael. After i bought this intake for my 98, i read an article about K&N filters being too open , but i hoped S&B had better filter media... thanks!        Got my son to watch to tailpipe for me & he thought the smoke was very light...[ hows that for an 11 year old  :) ] hope to get running boards [home made of coarse :stirthepot:  :thumb1: ] on my truck this sat. & maybe next sat. i'll see what i can do about the filter box.  '' corn planting might interfere! sure is chilly for mid. May! ''      I'll see what i can do about intake temps. w/ filter box design . guess my mind is made up to make a FILTER box & use the S&B! :wink:    thanks fellows!

The new POD REVO software was a HUGE improvement on smoke overall, the old original smarty tuning was horrible for black smoke and a constant haze at normal driving even, the new tune which is the latest on your JR POD is super clean in comparison. Look into the extra deep pleated filter for the OEM filter box and do the cold air intake mod PSM sells a premade kit or look up home depot intake mod to the stock box, much better way to go on a stock to slightly modded 3rd gen like AH64ID pointed out.

• Staff

My foam insulation between the OEM box and the fender deteriorated and I removed it. It fills about a 1/2" gap between the box and fender and the fender is open. Even with the CAI mod I have noticed that the pre-turbo temps, when towing up a grade, are 15-20° high with that being gone. I would hate to see the pre-turbo temps with a box that isn't sealed. I am trying to decide how to fix it but I am leaning towards a small piece of foam with the proper cutout. 

My point is that underhood temps are high on these trucks and underhood air is not what you want to feed your turbo with. 

thanks for sharing! i can learn from others  :thumb1:    '[ BILL, i checked & i have the latest updates.' [smarty jr]      i agree that under hood hot air  is not a good idea, interesting how many pics of builds show open filters....  i should be receiving my 'cool hose' soon , i like this much better then the metal piping used on some ''cold air'' intakes. also smoother flow path then a gutted intake muffler that i have now. i'm going to see if i can somehow mod. the s&b air box that i have , adding a home depot type drop tube & sealing to the fender hole.  thanks fellows, this is what makes these forums so valuable! 

ok,ok,...you win  :doh:   :ashamed:    i ordered a deep pleat drop in air filter.....[does that mean that i'm like OTHER people now??!! :duh:    :doh:    :stuned:    :sick:     :)  ]..  i came to my senses.... i just wanted to mod. the s& b filter/air box that i had!!!!!!!   :rolleyes:     cool hose, deep filter, & then work on the cold air hose mod. it'll do!  thanks for the input!  :thumb1:  

John,.my box dosnt have the foam at the fender , i would like to see what you find that works!

Edited by organicfarmer

My foam has evaporated from the fender as well.   I've just been leaving the "gap".  I don't have an IAT gauge to monitor the intake air temp.  My mileage is, in fact, going up with the warmer weather now.  Last 2 tanks have averaged over 21mpg....................hand calculated.

• Like 1

some more fun!010_zpshyu7jkp0.jpg

011_zpsl9ssqfs7.jpg

009_zpsfx2ofvkt.jpg

waiting on some of my shop customers to bring  their stuff so i dug into the ''TIGHTWAD INTAKE''  :clap:  it should work well! thanks for the ideas!

new deep filter, 4'' pvc down pipe, weather stripping at the fender.

i tilted the pvc pipe where it slipped into the flange, [added 2 bolts so it dosnt fall out] & angled the 4'' pipe in the rubber coupler to get the proper angle, that way the flange is flat against the bottom of the air box.

lots of silicone to seal the bugger!

now, on monday i should be receiving my COOL HOSE , them my intake will be ready to effortlessly 'suck' for a long time!   :wink:  lots of clean cool air = happy engine/happy driver!

Edited by organicfarmer
  • Like 1

did i say toilet?????  :duh:  :stuned:   :sofa:   surely not!   :nono:  i'm SURE i purposed to say CUMMINS COLD AIR ADAPTER FLANGE. thank you very much!, bill.

wax ring!? oh my........................................ :duh:   :cookoo:

[this forum is great!]  :thumb1:

[[i did'nt say TOILET flange!!!!!]]   :poke:

Edited by organicfarmer
  • Like 1