• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Radio trouble

Mine actually just died.  It started with cutting out on one side then a few days later it just wouldn't turn on.  

It is on my desk to pull apart and look, but I am not sure when I will get to it.  

I would however look first at wiring.  Pull the radio out and use a paper clip to jump the pos and neg speaker wires one at a time.  Then just a multimeter at each speaker to check for continuity while opening and closing the doors.  

I had the same problem with this 95. Only passenger front door worked when I got it and then all but the driver rear speaker outdoor work at times. Pulled the 1994 pioneer out and put a new pioneer in and all speakers work. You can get a pioneer radio from Walmart for about $130 that does nearly everything you could ever want, including Bluetooth. You can hook your smart phone to it and listen to music or the music can play via Bluetooth. Really a great radio for the money!

I had the same problem with this 95. Only passenger front door worked when I got it and then all but the driver rear speaker outdoor work at times. Pulled the 1994 pioneer out and put a new pioneer in and all speakers work. You can get a pioneer radio from Walmart for about $130 that does nearly everything you could ever want, including Bluetooth. You can hook your smart phone to it and listen to music or the music can play via Bluetooth. Really a great radio for the money!

Sounds like a good place to start.

Does it come with a wiring harness to fit our trucks? What about face plate to make it look decent?

If you order from http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X4700BT/Pioneer-DEH-X4700BT.html?tp=5684 , they will have everything you need for plug and play. I have last years model of this radio and it's great! They used to send free instal gear but looks like they are charging $15 now. They have excellent customer service and support if you need it too.

I have been through a few radios also.  The last one is a reman I picked up off ebay for a $170 and you can send in your old one for a $20 core so it only costs $150.  It has a 1/8" stereo jack in it.  I plug in my Ipod or phone and rarely use CD's anymore.  Although I feel the CD player in it is not as good.  It would skip sometimes on rough roads.  Overall it has been a good unit so far.

post-1146-0-34820100-1435741679_thumb.jp

Edited by ABennin

I have been through a few radios also. The last one is a reman I picked up off ebay for a $170 and you can send in your old one for a $20 core so it only costs $150. It has a 1/8" stereo jack in it. I plug in my Ipod or phone and rarely use CD's anymore. Although I feel the CD player in it is not as good. It would skip sometimes on rough roads. Overall it has been a good unit so far.

116_2066.JPG

I have 2 pkps, a 98 and a 2000. 98 has stock radio, 2000 has a pioneer. The radio reception is really bad on the pioneer, not much radio around here to choose from to begin with. Any idea why factory reception is better? Thanks for ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

If you go with a new head unit make sure to check your ground. I swapped a new one into my 01 and it started blowing the fuse that holds all instrument lights and marker light out side the truck. Super fun to find out when I got off work and the sun wasn't up.