• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Looking for some help... something has gone wrong!

02 Cummins, 103k, FASS150, EJWA CTS2

I installed the EJWA about a month ago... did everything myself, install went great, truck ran great. The only problem I had was I didn't think I was getting the full power of the chip from levels 3-5. There was no big difference between the two, and I had read enough and spoken to several people to know that shouldn't be the case.

This lead me to buy a BD Stealth plate, which I installed Friday night. Here is where the troubles began... install went great, only problem was the gasket set I bought did not have the two Gaskets for the intake manifold. Therefore I had to reuse the ones that were already on the truck (I had just replaced these about a month ago when I installed the EJWA originally, so they weren't in terrible condition). It was 11pm and I had to move the truck from where it sat. 

Immediately when I started the truck, I knew it sounded differently. Check engine light came on, and code P1690 appeared. I have a rough idea of this code (Fuel Injection Pump CKP Sensor Does Not Agree With ECM CKP Sensor). Truck had NO throttle response, and sounded awful.

Saturday, I picked up the gaskets and installed. Truck ran perfect, check engine light went away, and I finally saw the big power gains from EJWA levels 3-5! The BD Stealth Plate did it's job, and I considered problem gone...figured the truck was sucking air through the used gaskets.

This morning, problem came back. Code P1690 present, check engine light back on, and running terrible (rough idle, smells like it's running rich, extra puffs of smoke at idle, no throttle response, etc.). Almost seems as if turbo is not present... just a loud diesel engine.

Any suggestions?? 

Thank you in advance!!

Morgan

Update... truck now has P0216 showing up.

I saw the article you referenced earlier MoparMan. I was crossing my fingers that this specific situation (involving the gaskets/too much air) could be handled differently.

Now I have this second code to worry about. 

Again this all started when I went in and did the Stealth Plate install... there have been zero issues with the truck prior, so I am trying to think what I could have done.

There was a FASS DRP on the truck for about 2 yrs before I owned the truck, and then I bought the truck and put the 150 on back in February. Fuel pressure has been monitored by both me and the previous owner. 

Pressure sits around 16psi idle and it jumps around while driving. The Juice will show numbers raging from 13psi-24psi. Before I went electronic, the pressure never went below 10 on the manual guage with the DRP. 

I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but I feel strongly that this whole situation was caused by something I did during my stealth plate install. Everything was fine until I did the install. Everything went back to fine momentarily until this morning...The only things electrical I did during the install was unplug my throttle position sensor and the harness on my VP44

I am just confused on why everything went back to normal... and then back to crap!

Going to try trouble shooting guide this week but welcome to all suggestions.

Anytime I work on my truck and when done something else malfunctions I usually suspect that I have don something. It is possible that you your cam sensor just crapped out or maybe has a bad connection. You will have to trouble shoot it. They can and will go out intermittently until completely crapping out, work good one minute and not the next.

Did you disconnect the batteries while you were working on the install of the Edge? If so did you reset the TPS after re-connecting every thing? This can contribute to the rough running.

I dont believe the gaskets had anything to do with. Mine are the oe and have been re used several times. I am do a set but the old ones are holding fine. The only time mine has run bad or been undrive able was when the VP crapped out at 75k, the lift pump crapped out around 150k, and when the ECM went at 220k.

I would work on the cam sensor and see if that does not clear up the rough running and keep my fingers crossed that the 1690 and the 216 codes are related and one clears the other.

I would also consider running 2 stroke oil in your fuel since this is the only thing that lubricates the VP. Today's ULSD is not what the VP was designed to run on. There is a lot of good info one this subject here on the site.

It is to late to type anymore, let us know what happens with your trouble shooting. 

Did you disconnect the batteries while you were working on the install of the Edge? If so did you reset the TPS after re-connecting every thing? This can contribute to the rough running.

I would work on the cam sensor and see if that does not clear up the rough running and keep my fingers crossed that the 1690 and the 216 codes are related and one clears the other.

I would also consider running 2 stroke oil in your fuel since this is the only thing that lubricates the VP. Today's ULSD is not what the VP was designed to run on. There is a lot of good info one this subject here on the site.

I did disconnect the batteries... and did not reset the TPS either time I did this, or take any special steps. Do you have more info? I will begin looking around right now.

I am definitely going to start looking into the cam sensor and see if something went wrong there.

2 Stroke oil was something I have been thinkin about, and I am getting reafy to start running in the truck. I have only driven the truck about 1500 miles in 6 months. I am fixing to wear it out with fall coming up and want it ready to hit the road!

Edited by NormaNator08

Remember P0216 is a wear code from poor lubricity or a pressure code from poor fuel pressure. 24 PSI is a bit to high shouldn't cause any issues but it can. Lack of lubricity can play hell on the timing piston.

Yes sir it can! I am double checking all fuel supply for the VP to see if something went wrong along the way. I have read on here about using a needle valve? Next task at hand for sure.

• Owner

Thanks Mike i was too burnt out last night to look up anything.

I did disconnect the batteries... and did not reset the TPS either time I did this, or take any special steps. Do you have more info? I will begin looking around right now.

I am definitely going to start looking into the cam sensor and see if something went wrong there.

2 Stroke oil was something I have been thinkin about, and I am getting reafy to start running in the truck. I have only driven the truck about 1500 miles in 6 months. I am fixing to wear it out with fall coming up and want it ready to hit the road!

Al you have to do for the TPS is disconnect the batteries for about 30 minutes, reconnect then turn the switch to on, no start, then slowly depress and release the throttle. Then turn the truck off and you are done.

Thank you guys both for the info on the APPS reset... just did it and it didn't work... truck is actually puffing more blue/black smoke, and now it is jumping around at idle.

Next is lighting a can of diesel fuel underneath and watching it burn!! haha

So frustrating because this truck ran PERFECT for one afternoon, and now shes sick.

On to the next troubleshooting attempt... 

• Owner

I'm going to say more than likely its a injection pump problem but run the diagnostic articles and see where it leads you. It still possible the cam sensor is the problem but with the p0126 code I would say the Vp44 is getting tired. 

Next is lighting a can of diesel fuel underneath and watching it burn!! haha

I'll take it off your hands first before you burn it.

I hoping the cam sensor will get it running right for you but have to agree with Mike on the VP being tired. The juice might have been the last straw for it. I just put a comp on mine and I hope it does not happen to me. This VP has had a steady diet of 2 stroke and good fuel pressure for the past 130k miles. We will see soon enough. 

I'll take it off your hands first before you burn it.

haha I could NEVER... even though I am mad right now, I do love these trucks.

I hoping the cam sensor will get it running right for you but have to agree with Mike on the VP being tired. The juice might have been the last straw for it. I just put a comp on mine and I hope it does not happen to me. This VP has had a steady diet of 2 stroke and good fuel pressure for the past 130k miles. We will see soon enough. 

Are you suggesting to just replace the cam sensor? I have looked online and they are relatively inexpensive. I will be honest the article on how to troubleshoot the P1690 code has me scratching my head a little... would replacing the cam sensor avoid a lot of those steps?

You could troubleshoot the 1690 code by putting a new sensor in.  You could also save a bit of money if you trouble shoot with the article.  either way works fine.  

However you p0216 code is almost always a vp44 that is getting tired.  

• Owner

You could troubleshoot the 1690 code by putting a new sensor in.  You could also save a bit of money if you trouble shoot with the article.  either way works fine.  

However you p0216 code is almost always a vp44 that is getting tired.  

psi9x.jpg

Here is the timing piston out the VP44. That piston is harden steel I know it takes a lot to scar it up like that. Which would create the p0216 code.

haha I could NEVER... even though I am mad right now, I do love these trucks.

Are you suggesting to just replace the cam sensor? I have looked online and they are relatively inexpensive. I will be honest the article on how to troubleshoot the P1690 code has me scratching my head a little... would replacing the cam sensor avoid a lot of those steps?

I scratch my head on some of that also. If the sensor is cheap, it is a way to bypass the trouble shooting. I have done it before and have some spares to prove it. It is up to you on the route you take.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's been crazy on this end have not had any time to work on truck until this past weekend... and the good news is... I think she's fixed!!! :hyper:

So, I replaced the cam sensor, did not fix the problem. Leaving the new one in due to the fact that it was a little tedious to replace and hopefully will never have to do it again.

One thing that I don't think I brought up was that when I originally installed the EJWA wire tap on the wire backside of VP44 closest to the block, the sheathing that covered the wires crumbled apart (due to heat/age I guess). I wrapped the wires in electrical tape and moved on. Remember, she ran fine after the install, just didn't seem to have the extra juice on higher levels.

When I installed the stealth plate cover, I replaced the electrical tape with Liquid Electrical Tape. What appears to have been the problem is that the wires started touching and without actual electrical tape they were causing some kind of short or something...basically all the stuff that we already discussed.

We put all new electrical tape on, reinstalled the stealth plate cover, and she is running strong! Check engine light and all codes are gone.

MY ADVICE FOR ANYONE WOULD BE TO GET A STEALTH PLATE COVER FROM THE BEGINNING AND YOU COULD AVOID EVERYTHING I JUST WENT THROUGH!!!

• Like 1