• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New BHAF options!

Air Filter Poll  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What would you use?

• BHAF
    • New airbox for new filter
    • Full air box kit and filter

Ok gents I have some heat soak data.

Ambient temp ranged from 88-90 degrees with roughly 40% humidity during testing.

The truck idled for 1.5 hours in the sun.

The truck was idled and the only temp that the Quadzilla does not show is the probe I have in the intake manifold(air horn) that temperature stabilized at 130 degrees and stayed there after 1.5 hours. What I expected actually happened the temperature in the intake remained constant but the heat soak mostly occurs within the intake plenum.

After a 400 yard drive the temperature fluctuation was only 5 degrees less for a brief period. No boost was applied in this test. Also during the 400 yard drive the IAT dropped to 143 degrees this also included a brief 3 min idle.

I would like to post the photos of the Peak Parameter values from the Quadzilla so please coach me through.

I will try to upload them Via cell phone.

Edited by Vais01

Make sure you use the "more reply opitions" button when trying to upload and image.  

then use the attachement button at the bottom of the page to upload the image.  

When creating and article we will get you a full image manager that you can directly link to.  

I missed it even... :doh:

The problem we are all missing is not a donated member. The option is disabled. :duh:

Thing is it was a BoD group decision when the site rules and options where made back in Feb. 

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/mopar1973man-com-site-information/471-donations-membership

Well craptastic :stuned:  ....unfortunately as much as I would like to donate, my pocket book only coughs up dust.

From Vais01

Picture 1 is 1.5 hours of idle time only.

Picture 2 is 1.5 hours of idle time plus 400 yards of driving  (200 yards 3 min of idle and then an additional 200 yards)

Picture 3 was a heat soaked WOT run after driving in traffic for 20 min. A second EGT probe on the rear 3 cylinders shows approximately 50 degrees greater temperature.

So far all of this is equal to the factory air box with the exception of a few things such as IAT temperature on picture 2. This is the only elevated peak. As I mentioned earlier this temp then suddenly dropped down to 143 degrees so the BHAF is not retaining heat.

post-2285-0-51432200-1441806799_thumb.jppost-2285-0-79405900-1441806812_thumb.jppost-2285-0-61751800-1441806807_thumb.jp

So gents another quick update.

From driving a particular route in similar conditions last week (light rain, temperature in the mid 80's and humidity up near 80%) my cruising temp at 60 MPH was floating around 600-650. Using the new BHAF I have seen a slight drop in cruising EGT of roughly 25 degrees. I was again driving 60 MPH and the EGT's were I'm the 575-625 range. The biggest overall difference is in transient turbo boost speed when passing. So the trucks overall responsiveness has been better than using the factory airbox. Then again these are only marginal differences but it seems to be an overall improvement. A MPG test may commence tomorrow with a 40 mile loop.

Edited by Vais01

With rolling hills and some flats here in Idaho I typically see 550-600*F at 55 MPH and about 1.5 to 3 PSI of boost. Today temperature max'ed out at 79*F and about 25% humidity.

I see 575 to 625 now at 60 MPH, under the conditions I mentioned earlier. This is an improvement over the stock airbox. I'm sure the 1300 CFM of flow capability is helping. I normally see 0-1 PSI of boost at 60 MPH. Also the intake(air horn) temp is lower between 5 and 10 degrees.

If I had the time and money I would like to install another temp probe it the hot pipe (prior to the intercooler) to really see the difference in air temp the turbo produces.

According to a Borg Warner software to size turbos the temperature of compressed air as it exits the turbo will be near 415 degrees while pushing 35 PSI of boost. If this is accurate the BD aftercooler is doing a great job knocking that down to 100 degrees within the intake manifold at 90 degrees ambient air temp.

Also before the new BHAF that temperature would be up 10 degrees under the same conditions which is leading me to believe the turbo is operating more efficiently.

So gents last night I made a little video of the BHAF.   :drool:

Yes, the results are that good. Now if I can work with the vendor to build a box to house this (mostly for sound and also moisture ingestion) we will be in great shape. I hope to speak with the guys tomorrow and give all of you a heads up of what we can expect tomorrow.

You have to tell how you are turning so low an rpm at 70 mph. How much bigger are you tires than mine? I have the same gears on 265 75r 16's and turn 2k at 70 mph.

I do believe I mentioned it on the video but maybe I did not. 70 MPH is actually 65 MPH.

I have yet to head to the dealership to fix it but it's great for those who like driving 5 MPH over the posted limit all the time. Prevents speeding haha.