• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Toyo Open County dry rot, cracking

Anybody running a set of Toyos? Mine are about a year old and got maybe 4k on them. Today I noticed a crak between lugs. Bought them with good reviews and made in USA and now this. Just got a set of these last week for my dad and they say made in Japan so not sure what's going on.

post-1102-0-37925700-1443485839_thumb.jp

Edited by Dieselfuture

They crack from age. Check the date code and see when they were made. Most tire sellers can decode it for you. I have unknowingly purchased tires that had sat in the warehouse for years and they started to crack within 1 year and when I had them replaced them I mention it to them so they decoded it and they were 6 years old.

I don't have a problem with Japan stuff if anything them guys usually have quality product but china not so sure there. Had few trailer tires one blew in many pieces on highway and the other almost came apart. So no more trailer tires for me I just run truck tires that are 10 ply, so far no problems other then kumho tires not sure where they made but junk in my opinion.

I have the same tires on my 2005 Tacoma and they do crack between the tread blocks it's superficial. So don't be too concerned. If you are worried give your tire shop or Toyo a call and email them or show them what you are seeing. Toyo AT 2 tires have a 45,000 mile warranty on the E load range tires if memory serves me right.

• Owner

Yeah Japan is good but I won't run China tires on the truck and was very cautious with the China tires on the trailer.

China on both trailers zero issues.

Even resolving some of that issue with proper inflation math and understand the speed limitations.

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/rv-trailers-towables/486-inflating-st-trailer-tires-properly

Still to this day I've never experienced a explosive tire blow out.

Called Tread Depot today and they said that it's normal for these and michelins to crack early, ( wtf?) Than had me email them pictures of cracks but said more likely Toyo won't cover it as a crack has to be at least 3mm wide ( wtf again? ) for them to do something about it. Makes me want to buy a horse with all these great deals I've been getting.

Called Tread Depot today and they said that it's normal for these and michelins to crack early, ( wtf?) Than had me email them pictures of cracks but said more likely Toyo won't cover it as a crack has to be at least 3mm wide ( wtf again? ) for them to do something about it. Makes me want to buy a horse with all these great deals I've been getting.

I've seen cracks all over mine like I said it's superficial. I have seen substantially worse and they are sill ok.

I've seen cracks all over mine like I said it's superficial. I have seen substantially worse and they are sill ok.

I'm just a bit confused, I bought these thinking they were one of the best according to reviews. And sure never seen tires do that after a year, maybe 10. But maybe it's new standard in tire industry (use them or lose them) Toyo's new slogan.

Just a FYI trailer tires ( ST ) are only speed rated at 65 MPH per a goodyear rep that I got to talk to. I was wondering why I was loosing a tire at least once a year on my trip to Ca. that I could do in 2.5 days from Wi.

Since I have slowed down from 70MPH to about 62 MPH I have not lost a tire in 3 years. When I was running car tires on my trailer (tire shops have refused to install car tires on my trailer but if I just brought the rims in there it was on problem )I have run at more then 90 MPH for hours and never lost tire except from age. For the last 8 years I have towed a trailer that is load rated at 3000lbs and never loaded it more then 2000lbs and always inflated then to the max pressure And I think that I might be able to actually wear out a set now.

• Staff

Correct a true ST tire doesn't have a load index or speed rating on the sidewall, but rather a max weight @ max pressure and nothing about the 65 mph limit.

Goodyear Marathons may be ran between 66-75 if the pressure is increased 10 psi, and 10 psi above sidewall max pressure is permissible.

I did several trips above 70 mph on my marathons with added pressure and never lost one on a paved road, only rock punctures on back roads.

Just a FYI trailer tires ( ST ) are only speed rated at 65 MPH per a goodyear rep that I got to talk to. I was wondering why I was loosing a tire at least once a year on my trip to Ca. that I could do in 2.5 days from Wi.Since I have slowed down from 70MPH to about 62 MPH I have not lost a tire in 3 years. When I was running car tires on my trailer (tire shops have refused to install car tires on my trailer but if I just brought the rims in there it was on problem )I have run at more then 90 MPH for hours and never lost tire except from age. For the last 8 years I have towed a trailer that is load rated at 3000lbs and never loaded it more then 2000lbs and always inflated then to the max pressure And I think that I might be able to actually wear out a set now.

That's why I switched to truck tires too, I usually tow at least couple of hours a way and 65-70 is the speed I tow most of time. Our boat still has ST tires and I don't go over 65 even down hill.