• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

How can I tell if I have an in tank pump or not?

I am not the original owner.  I didn't install the FASS HD.  The pickup looks stock, and I can't see a draw straw.  I am thinking of putting one in as I need to replace my fuel level sending unit anyway. 

Is there any way to tell?  After looking through google images and on Rockauto for pictures, I really couldn't tell any big difference.  All the photos I see have a 4 prong plug.  The only big difference is that some of the in tank pumps have a squat hockey puck looking filter on the top of the pickup. 

post-10340-138698183186_thumb.jpgIs the block mounted pump still there and plugged into the wiring harness?  When mine was installed there was a relay on the firewall that was added for the pump on the driver's side and the oe pump was gone. Here is a picture of mine. I think ME posted a picture of his that is a little different than mine. Another way to tell is bump the starter and listen for it. 

No block pump.  Just a relay up there for the FASS... Not OEM wiring either.  

Here is what mine looks like.  Similar, but not the same.  Hard to see, but I don't have the big thing on the left that you have, and the plug is not parallel with the fuel line fittings like in your picture.  The right side is mostly the same.  

20151115_134422.jpg

I am trying to decide what draw straw to order.  It seems like different kits for the in tank vs standard pump types.  I am just going to order the cheaper old school one.  I like simple. 

Edited by CSM

I need to change the fuel sender anyway.  I ordered a draw straw from Vulcan.  $35 shipped.  not bad.  

I am making a list of "To Do" items to get the truck "done" for the next year and the move back to Colorado.  I have gotten quite a bit done, but I am not 100% satisfied.  I was planning on tackling most of this this week, but I have been stricken with some form of Arkansas head cold.  The list has doubled, which is what happens when I have physical downtime... I catch up on my planning.  Last time I had a cold I read up on alternators and determined what my problem was, hence that article.  

Long story short, this truck getting cheaper to maintain, as I am finally getting back to "normal maintenance items" and less immediate or performance modifications. 

To Do: (will happen)

• New one piece driveshaft
  • Fuel tank sending unit & draw straw
  • Install new steering shaft & check preload on steering box. 
  • Remove leveling kit, adjust alignment as required
  • Install centramatics, rotate tires
  • Install clearance lights & replace broken overhead console switch
    • Remove suicidal bug from behind console screen. <- most important item on list!
  • Fix A pillar mount
  • Change PS fluid
  • Change Diff oil
  • Change transfer case fluid & new xcase extension seal
  • Change shifter seal on transmission, adjust linkage.
  • Find electrical short in power mirrors
  • Fix cigarette lighter plug
  • Replace foglight bulbs
  • Install ARP studs
  • Adjust E brake
  • Fix block heater

Parts on order:

• Driveshaft
  • Sending unit
  • Draw straw
  • Switches for overhead console

Wants: (sometime between now and forever, aka: BVR)

• Paint
  • Dynamat the hell out of the cab
  • Reseal oil pan, possibly pull head to check valve guides and seats
  • Hamilton Cam
  • Momentary switch to fass relay, to give extra boost to fuel pump on really cold day starts
  • re tint windows
  • new windshield
  • new radio
  • Redo ALL aftermarket wiring with better clips and solder joints.  
  • Replace plastic air line (fuel px gauge etc) with copper line.
  • Put new foam in drivers seat
  • Get craigslist factory heated seats to work
  • Find correct accessory belt for smaller mechman alternator pulley
  • Buy uncracked dash bezel or fiberglass mine.
  • Extra fuel tank... I would like an extra 150 gal.
Edited by CSM