• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

And he said, Let there be Light!

The projector kit is $270 .,

You can piece it together using "B" stock items for $200ish or less, but honestly I would just pony up. 

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/complete-retrofit-kits/universal-kits/bi-xenon-morimoto-mini-stage-3-kit-h1.html#.Vk0YzvmrSHs select the 9004 kit and it is plug and play in regards to electronics.

Well I did a little more aiming tonight, got it good enough. You can see on the left light, upper cut off how it tapers off before it hits the other cutoff, that is due tothe fluted lenses.  The Left side of the left light has a nice flat cutoff which is where the hole is that I cut out of the oem lenses.  So some more light is to be had with fully clear lenses, but eh,....

20151118_175245_zpsmljretlf.jpg

Keep in mind the ground isn't level where the truck is sitting, but it is close enough to give you an idea of output.  

I can prob go up another couple inches, but I like to error on the side of not blinding people.  I will get some new housings sometime in the future that aren't worn out and get them dialed in better, but for now they are 10x better than the stock bulbs.

Edited by Me78569

Not knocking the product but for $75 I got all i need. The weird thing is the only time I think my head lights are not bright enough is when I am am on a well lit road. Out in the country side the dims are fine and the brights reach out 200 yards or so, More than enough for me.

If you are going to all this work, there is also the option of buying a set of Sport housings and wiring up the relays for your own "brite box."  Cost would be a bit more but the light wouldn't be as intense.  

I try not to try new things.  I might want new things.  So, I just tell myself that I should accept and cherish old technology... Yes, Sir!  Back from the age when men were men and women were glad of it!  

That setup works great for where you live but it doesnt fit he needs of the city/ semi rural colorado.  To many people to much traffic.

You couldn't drive around with those light on and expect to not get pulled over.  Even in the country here there is enough traffic that you couldn't really use them, and once again you are left with the oem lights.

At least they look like flood style light without cut offs or a good wah to aim them.

• Owner

Works awesome in city use and never been pulled over. The lo beam are adjusted so they do not blind. Hi beams are like "Beam me up Scotty". Seriously though I've never had a single issue with people flashing there hi beams or been pulled over for either truck.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Oh Lord, that lens hack is... just... wow, man.

light3.jpg

light4.jpg

Oh, and I found my first set of Morimoto mini-D2S projectors on eBay complete with bulbs and ballasts for $150, so between watching there and the outlet section of TRS' site, you can come in well under budget.

Edited by ronman
  • Like 1

That is difficult to do where I am. Next time I am out in a place where I can show distance without street lights I will do that.  

I agree Ronman,  Wow just wow on the lenses, I am on the hunt for new housings currently,  It's hard to find housing that aren't gawdy.  

Well I figured I might as well get some clear housings to fix my ghetto fix for the article build......so

Sport lights ordered, 

The right morimoto harness ordered,

9004/7 plugs ordered.....

Let there be light is gonna be more true than ever.

The good thing about projectors is the width and output for low beams, HOWEVER the throw can be lacking compared to halogens is a good housing, the halogens can "fill in" the areas where the projectors fall short.  

The Morimoto's on their own are fine for most, but I like good lights :)  and I like to tinker.  Pretty excited.  The nice thing since I robbed the lights out of my project car ( parked waiting for time to fix stuff) I now have %50 of the stuff needed for 2 sets :)

HID's are technically Xenons ( very likely at least if they have ballasts, Xenon just means the gas in he bulb.)

Difference is the OEM housings are designed for halogen bulbs with a filament that sits in a certain location in relation to the reflector.  The thing with HID's is the focus point for the light sits closer or further away from the reflector than a halogen 9004/9007 bulb.  This will scatter light in a manner that cuts down light output and can blind people. 

The morimoto projectors are designed for the xenon bulb and hte focus point of the bulb.  That plus the projector cutoff shield allows you to focus the light in a manner that is wide bright, and doesn't blind people.

I should taken a picture of the light with the fluted lenses so you could compare, but it very much scatters light.  

Edited by Me78569