• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

98-99 HD steering upgrade

So I'm planning to upgrade to the 98-99 HD steering in the near future and was wondering about the current quality of Moog parts. I've heard that Moog's quality has really gone down the crapper in the last few years but I don't have any first hand experience to confirm or deny it. I don't want to spend the time and money installing new parts if they're not going to last. 

I replace all of mine with MOOG about 90k miles ago. The track bar is shot, I am starting get a little play in the drivers side ball joint. The rest is of it is still holding well. With the oe joints lasting about 230k I am a bit disappointed . 

Seems that what I've heard is true then. I'll either try to find the Raybestos Pro parts or cough up the money for the DOR HD steering kit. I've already upgraded my track bar to an adjustable  DOR piece, it's seriously heavy duty to say the least. 

In case anyone was wondering what the difference is between the LD and HD factory steering on these trucks:

Tie-Rods.jpg

Edited by The_Hammer
  • Like 1

The reason I was thinking about going with DOR is that the build quality of the track bar I got form them is outstanding. Also, I may go to 37" tires in the future. I've also heard about the lead times, best bet is to call and check before ordering. 

I'll more than likely do the factory HD upgrade and see how that goes. I'm all about saving money if I can but also believe in "buy once cry once". 

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-non-powertrain/829241-company-dodge-off-road-ripped-me-off.html

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-non-powertrain/1489010-whats-deal-dodge-off-road.html

More

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=dodge+offroad+site:www.cumminsforum.com

I am sure this is just a few of the people that he has served, I am sure the majority is happy, but still hard to go down that road with my own money.

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1

I checked out those threads, guess I got lucky ordering an "in stock" part. I got my track bar in 3 days, ordered late September of this year. I can weld and fabricate pretty good so I think I'm going to just build the rest of the parts that I was going to order from him myself. I want a shackle flip and longer control arms. 

These are all Raybestos Professional Grade part numbers, NOT rebranded Moog parts. This will convert a light duty inverted "Y" steering to the heavy duty 98'-99' "T" steering. Total cost from Amazon is around $340.

410-1073 - Outer Tie Rod End - Right - 1-1/8" x 18 - Length 46.9"

5655303aa00cb_21tYTjWPxzL._SY400_(1).jpg

425-1058 - Tie Rod End Adjusting Sleeve - 1-1/8" x 18

31LmWQ0IgvL._SY400_.jpg.2d64af124b9e4b60

401-1871 - Outer Tie Rod End - Left -  1-1/8" x 18 - 10" Length

311LpO-icoL._SY400_.jpg.7bbdcaf3bb604635

410-1074 - Other Tie Rod End - Right - 1" x 18 - 28.0" Length

565534e99d14f_21AXzqSuVL._SY400_.jpg.75e

425-1011 - Tie Rod End Adjusting Sleeve - 1" x 18

41QsbuP2z4L._SY400_.jpg.f7176853ad7baf3e

401-1811 - Other Tie Rod End - Left - 1" x 18 - Length 6.50"

31oBcvgz9UL._SY400_.jpg.60a2198d124b1749