• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Oil pressure gauge

My gauge tracks as a pressure gauge ( pressure is at the top of the operating range when cold ,drops as it warms up and goes up and down in its range with the RPM although it doesn't have any graduations that are usable other then operating range) My last dodge v10 did what yours does except mine would drop to the bottom of the operating range when going down the road for no reason. I installed a tee at the oil pressure sender and put a mechanical gauge on it .I was pleasantly surprised it had 60 psi when cold and 35 when hot at 250k miles. I had changed the sender twice with no change. I never did change the dash and it was still doing it when I sold it 7 years later with the oil pressure gauge in the A pillar   

29 minutes ago, Vais01 said:

3rd generation trucks have the dummy gauge. I've yet to see a second gen gauge not move up or down with changes in RPM

What is yours doing?

Using the high idle kit, I can switch the coolant temp and watch the oil pressure go up and down with that temp... Kinda makes me lose all faith in the gauge.  

3 minutes ago, CSM said:

Using the high idle kit, I can switch the coolant temp and watch the oil pressure go up and down with that temp... Kinda makes me lose all faith in the gauge.  

Odd...I wonder if they use a common ground and if one could back feed the next. What's your low idle oil pressure?

Edited by Vais01

Mine has always worked. Higher pressure when cold and gradually dropping as the oil warms up. Lower at idle than at speed. Works pretty typical to any I have had. Reading the actual pressure is a little difficult beings the gauge is graduated a little weird.

5 minutes ago, dripley said:

Mine has always worked. Higher pressure when cold and gradually dropping as the oil warms up. Lower at idle than at speed. Works pretty typical to any I have had. Reading the actual pressure is a little difficult beings the gauge is graduated a little weird.

I bet you a dollar it acts like the video I linked.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CSM said:

I bet you a dollar it acts like the video I linked.

I will take the bet. i have no fooler on my truck. Warmed up at idle my gauge reads just about right where Mikes does. Upon acceleration it will climb up past the 40# mark a little further than it sits below it at idle. On cold start up it goes near the next to last mark depending on how cold it is. It will slowly lower as the coolant temp rises. Never seen it doing anything different that that.

Just now, CSM said:

Frankly, I don't care what it is.   

It's a old school cummins, not a rare race engine.  I just keep it full and run it. 

It rubs against the grain with me. My dad taught me to keep an eye on my gauges, especially oil pressure. 

Guys, it's a dummy gauge. Proven fact from Mike's video. There is nothing to dispute about that.

The gauge is not 100% controlled through the sensor. Yes the gauge goes up when you rev it up, and yes the gauge reads higher when it's cold but all of that is programmed into the truck. There was a long discussion about this over on CF and many agree it was likely done to prevent people from thinking they have low oil pressure just because the gauge is on the lower side of the pressure sweep.

It is not a dummy gauge but the dash assy. is not high quality gauge set. What you see in mopar1973mans video is the voltage regulator on the back of the dash assy that has gone bad or a high resistance ground to the dash. The biggest problem with our dash is it takes a analog signal from the sensor and converts it to digital in the ECM and or PCM and then decodes it back to a analog value for the gauge set and if  tolerances are not kept very small (meaning more expensive ) you get just what we see. This is the biggest reason for the aftermarket gauge industry is that mfgs. put gauges that barely qualify as a useful gauge. Why do you think that you cannot find any accuracy specs for there stuff and they don't put but very few markings other "operating range". Many years ago I found the accuracy spec for speedometers ( I wish I could remember where ) from the D.O.T. and they only need to be within +or - 10 percent.