• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Rail Pressure Troubleshooting

2500ctd

Not yet. Had to rebuild the forks on bike. Easier then the truck now. I pulled the tank and drained it. So hopefully no fuel issue. Which of course after I drain the tank.

Easiest way to go about testing the sensor? I'll have to back probe the harness. Least intrusive is a sewing needle. Worked for me before. 

Can someone double check me. I found the pressure relief valve for $265, the pressure sensor for $217 and a fuel rail for $299 which includes the relief valve and the pressure sensor. It would be cheaper to buy the rail and take the sensors off the new rail. I am reading that right, right? :think:

http://hoeslidiesel.com/store/page13.html

I was going to stop the local Cummins and have them order a pressure sensor, Might be getting a whole rail now instead.

Edited by 2500ctd

What pressure does the relief lift at? I thought I saw it here but cant find it now. My relief valve with the as shown 26112 psi isn't leaking

oops found it well top post on this page. I missed the post about calling T&C diesel  :doh:

Edited by 2500ctd

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 11:32 AM, 2500ctd said:

Ordered the rail.  Debating on switching the whole thing out or just pirating what I need off of it. 

Part number is 4929618

Genos lists the rail as well for 299.00. 

Looking at some of the corrosion your seeing, I think I would swap the whole rail out.. Just me.

New rail is in. Anyone know the torque specs for the fuel lines? Says refer to torque specs.  Can't find them in the manual. Running out now to get a crows foot for the torque wrench. Didn't have a 19 mm but I had a 3/4 tube wrench. Also what size is the connector tube nut? 21mm ish?

Rail is surprisingly heavy. Well it is a high pressure vessel.  

Couldn't use the crows foot. No room so I used the calibrated elbow. New filter setup is mounted as well. Gonna run the bf7633 since I have it. And my bf1212's showed up today.  So hopefully I can get a ride to get some diesel.  Don't think I want to strap 5 gal diesel can to my back on the bike. 

Pocs of filter setup:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Nogo. Same as before.  Rail pressure maxes after starting. So its a new rail with pressure valve and pressure sensor. Maybe try another fca? 

At a loss now.  Only code is low voltage to grid heater which I know about that issue.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by 2500ctd

The higher voltage might be cause the batteries were a tad weak however the truck always seemsbto charge high.  According to the gage.  I haven't thrown a dvm on it yet.

Top picture shows the actual rp vs rpd. ThAT is something else I don't understand. It is obviously higher then desired yet no codes.  

Edited by 2500ctd

It does sound like crap.  Same as if the fca was unplugged. 

Checked the battery voltage with it running. 14.99. Within .25v of the smarty display when I actually compared them. 

So so it seems to be fixed.  As a last ditch measure, picked up one more fca.  4 total.  ?  At first the pressure has trouble stabilizing.  Was jumping +/- 1000psi at least.  Engaged the high idle let it run and it finally settled down.  At first even revving it would hang.  However seems fixed now. 

My idea: the other fca's were ran with the old tank of diesel.  As I posted I dropped the tank cleaned it out and ordered a fuel rail.  The fuel in the tank I used to drain it initially is still very cloudy. Like the pics in the beginning of this thread.  

So wth the new rail and just under 5 gal it started, rail pressure maxed. Then I heard it settle. Watch the smarty as the rail pressure dropped to normal…and continued to drop till it quit.  Hoping 4 gal isn't enough.  Gauge didn't even register. Add 5 more gal.  Started and max pressure but it ran.  6-6.5 psi at the cp3 with my new filter setup.  Got the new fca today and all good. After it 'learned'.  

So I am back to thinking I had a bad tank of diesel that killed the fca.  I more then likely didn't need the rail. Which I will keep the old one. However since one of the banjos showed corrosion, not a bad idea to install clean parts.  Anyone want to test my old fca? I would put it back in to see but I'm paranoid now and it's nice to have it running again.  Boy is it slow.  I got used to riding my bike. Lol.