• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

VP44 P0253 Code

• 9 months later...

Instead of starting a new post on the P0253 code I'll ask here.

I noticed this morning on my way to work check engine light on, pulled codes I have a P0253. Does this for sure mean VP44 is dying (Blue chip web site and others seem to say yep)? If so any wild guess as to how long in might last, this truck is my only source of transportation. Fuel pressure at idle 18, wot 15.

In conjunction with the P0253 code the following symptoms have been happening for some time with no code(s) generated until today

1) Intermittent rough idle, but odd thing is happens only when running for a bit with ac on, when turn ac off idles ruff, turn ac back on or turn engine off restart idle is fine, odd

2) I notice this summer I'm not generating the boost I use to and loosing power on the high end, I notice this pulling RV uphill this summer, I'm not getting past 30 boost (with edge on 4, I keep on 4 all time, 5 seems to just fuel to much). Lost speed going up a hill, normally I can gain or maintain with no issues. I thought this a boost leak, could this be another sign VP44 dying.

As final note the VP44 has about 170k miles on it, was replaced under warranty around 60k. I am using the BD Diesel Stealth Cover for VP44 Injector Pump, could that cause an issue (i'm thinking no).

Also in this post there was mention of an alternator, causing P0253, did I understand that correctly? Alternator was replaced 2-3 years ago, should I have alternator tested?

Thanks in advance.

It is always a good idea to get your alternator tested from time to time as they are VERY prone to AC noise.  

As for the code,  I would start by cleaning and using dielecttric grease on EVERY plug under the hood.  Clean all your grounds and just do a once over.   However it is very likely the VP is dying, how long?  No one can know.  

• Like 2

So VP44 dying, my budget dying also now.

I plan to keep this truck for very long time, who would this group recommend for replacement VP44?

I have been looking at the Blue Chip stuff they are $$$, and I've seen VP44 on rock auto amazon. 

One other question injectors are still stock and have about 240k on them, thoughts on replacing them cause they are old and might fail soon as well?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by tonyjsan
forgot question

Skip blue chip.  

I would guess that 580 of the vp's come from the same 5 or 6 builders in the country.  

I would recommend @dieselautopower for the VP44.  They tend to be the cheapest out there and offer a good warranty.  

'

http://dieselautopower.com/bosch-027-vp44-fuel-injection-pump-standard-output-235hp-wire-tap-voids-2-year-warranty-vp44027/

2 year warranty

Yes it is

DAP also offers a Wiretap warranty pump that is for 1 year.  

My suggestion would be to buy the the cheapest VP44 with a warranty from either of them, leave the stealth cover off for at least a month and drive the truck HARD in that time period.  Typically issues with rebuilt vp44's will show themselves in that time.  If it lasts that first month of two then tap the pump again if you want the power back.  

I don't really believe tapping the pump really shortens the lifespan of the vp44, but it is an easy out for the builders. Typical failures are from lead free soldier and bad fuel pressure.

Edited by Me78569

I changed my VP44 out in February and got one from DAP.  Pay attention to the pump that you have and the pump that you buy.  If you buy an HO IP and have a SO on your truck you may not get your core charge refunded.  To get that core charge you need to turn in the same flavor that you ordered. 

I have yet to put my stealth cover back on, to be honest it does make me a little nervous to void that warranty.  I bought the IP with the 2 year warranty and I may not put it back on until after my warranty is up. 

• Like 1

• Owner
21 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

Typical failures are from lead free soldier and bad fuel pressure.

... also excessive AC noise, poor lubricity from excessive use if injector cleaners and cetane boosters, poor quality filters letting water and debris in the system, home brew biodiesel issues, etc. The list goes on...

2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

... also excessive AC noise, poor lubricity from excessive use if injector cleaners and cetane boosters, poor quality filters letting water and debris in the system, home brew biodiesel issues, etc. The list goes on...

Point being that wiretap is not something I see as a pump killer.    would you agree mike?

If a newly rebuilt pump is going to have issues it will typically happen sooner than later.  

Edited by Me78569

I wasn't/am worried about the wire tap messing up the VP, just voiding the warranty.  If I put the stealth plate on it would be easy for the rebuilder to tell that the IP's cover had been off and they could deduce that it had been tapped.  If someone taps the wire harness going to the VP44 how could a rebuilder tell that it had been tapped?  Can they tell?

• Owner
2 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

Point being that wiretap is not something I see as a pump killer.    would you agree mike?

Maybe in the early years when modules when being developed and the technology was new. Yeah there was several buggy units that could do damaged because we were nothing more than beta testers back then. Technology and information has been vastly expanded and failure rate of wire tapping is nearly zero percent. Today there is better designs of modules now. If wire tapping creates stress and failures boy there would be a entire performance crowd today spend large amounts of money on replacements. Rather strange I'm on my way to 300k miles on this pump with it being tapped for 10 years with a Edge Comp and now Quadzilla... 

Nope... I do NOT see wire tapping as a pump killer... But excellent way for pump builder to get out of warranty or sell a wire tap warranty for much more.

1 minute ago, Hawkez said:

If someone taps the wire harness going to the VP44 how could a rebuilder tell that it had been tapped?

There is a notch in the insulation of the fuel solenoid. As for the stealth plate there will be a hole in the PSG where the screw tapped the wire.

• Like 2