• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Trans miss shift?

Alright guys so wanted to start a new thread about my transmission on the 02. I'm not even sure this is an actual issue, but being that the trucks new to me, I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth worrying over or not. So if it seems like I'm chasing nothing, I'm not trying too, just want to verify it's nothing before I ignore it and move on and it turns out to be a bigger issue I could've prevented.

So, what's happening is when driving with O/D on, the truck will engage 3rd gear lock up around 38-40mph, then as speed gets up to 45ish, the trans seems to shift into 4th and attempt to lockup all within like a 1/2 second (and a slight jerky feeling) and then resume back to normal unlocked 4th gear pulling, then around 50ish it'll lock up 4th and everything's good.

I drive like a gramps (if I haven't already made that clear in the past haha) so I'm not sure if I'm just not accelerating fast enough and I'm just confusing the trans. I don't know if it's the bigger tires. It seems to only happen when I'm going up an incline accelerating fairly slowly, or on flat ground accelerating the same. It also seems to be far less noticeable if I'm accelerating quicker, or going down hill. It's almost like the truck gets confused about which gear to be in and whether or not to lock up or not but only during the conditions stated before. 

Is this anything to worry about? Is it really just my driving style and certain conditions that are causing this or should I look into something further?

Thanks in advance guys!

Try more tps input.  If you are low on rs when it goes to 4th it can get confused and it will jump out of lockup until rpms are high enough.

I am guessing the 47re is programmed to shift into 4th and lockup right after unless rpms and tps are too low, then it goes to plan b.

Alright, well that's good to hear then. I guess I just need to adjust my driving a little bit, which is no big deal. I literally just get on the pedal just enough to get the truck moving forward. People behind me must hate me! But I'm just trying to milk to gas mileage. Anyways, I'll definitely just get on it a little more when it comes around those speeds. Around town I usually drive around with O/D off anyways so it's not that big a deal.

I'm in the same boat.  I end up doing the same thing.  If it really bothers you you might have a small amount of adjustment in the tv cable.  

If you want it to shift earlier under less load, lenghten the cable, vice versa for later shifts.  However, I reset mine to full travel at WOT and it cleared up most of the shuttling at that 30mph range.

Edited by CSM

I'm actually working on a fix for this right now...

What you're feeling is the transmission upshift to 3rd gear, lock the converter, then briefly unlock the converter for the shift to 4th, then relock the converter...all in rapid succession. This becomes much more exaggerated with a "built" transmission or valve body because with elevated line pressure, the 3-4 shift will generally occur before the converter fully unlocks. So, you'll feel the shift, then the converter unlock briefly, then re-lock. It gives a really weird feel to the 3-4 shift, but in reality, the transmission is just doing what it's programmed to do.

I have a working prototype of the "fix" on my personal truck right now, and it works great. Really cleans up this 3-4 shift weirdness. It just keeps the converter from unlocking for the 3-4 shift (assuming that it was locked prior to the shift). I just need to find time to have more of them made...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dynamic said:
12 hours ago, notlimah said:

I'm actually working on a fix for this right now...

What you're feeling is the transmission upshift to 3rd gear, lock the converter, then briefly unlock the converter for the shift to 4th, then relock the converter...all in rapid succession. This becomes much more exaggerated with a "built" transmission or valve body because with elevated line pressure, the 3-4 shift will generally occur before the converter fully unlocks. So, you'll feel the shift, then the converter unlock briefly, then re-lock. It gives a really weird feel to the 3-4 shift, but in reality, the transmission is just doing what it's programmed to do.

I have a working prototype of the "fix" on my personal truck right now, and it works great. Really cleans up this 3-4 shift weirdness. It just keeps the converter from unlocking for the 3-4 shift (assuming that it was locked prior to the shift). I just need to find time to have more of them made...

My '01 felt like it would shift locked sometimes.  I'm guessing this is what you are talking about or something really similar.  When I mentioned it to Tony he said sometimes it is not able to time it correctly so it actually does shift locked.

On 2/22/2016 at 8:11 AM, notlimah said:

That's awesome Dynamic! If you end up producing some more of your 'fix' please let me know! I'm glad to hear there's not anything wrong with the trans, but if I could clean up that shift point it'd be great!

I'll keep you posted... It's the beginning of our busy season now that people are recovering from Christmas, so I haven't had as much time to devote to R&D as I'd like. I have a bunch of valve body stuff that I'm finishing up, too, so finding time to source manufacturers for all this stuff has been tough!

oh I forgot about that,

There is a section in your profile for website....maybe you fill that out and we hammer the details out later.

I think you might have already hahaha.  

Wow I would have loved to throw you money when I did my trans

http://dynamictransparts.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62_76&product_id=61  That's a good price for all of that. 

A DPC triple disc and I would be setup pretty good.

If I post your website it doesn't count :shifty:

Edited by Me78569