• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Purchasing my first Travel Trailer need advice

Michael make great point.  I have that very problem with my trailer.  With the slide pushed in it meets up with the counter and I either have to climb over or push out the slide.

Also, do yourself a favor and get a good look at the roof.

• Staff

One of the most important thing to make living in an RV is storage.  Think of all the things you need to take with you and where you're going to put them.  Make a list for each room and you'll see how fast a trailer fills up.  Kitchen items IE: pots pans, flat ware, plates bowels, paper cups, mugs, paper towels, dish towels, etc., etc.,  and food supplies  take the bulk of the storage.  Next is clothing.  Winter camping uses the most storage for this due to the type of clothing.  The jackets are bigger than a sweater, long under wear hats, gloves, etc.  It gets annoying when you have to keep moving thing out of your way when you don't have a place to put them.

• Like 1

• Owner

Because of where we live typically food items are never left in the RV because extreme temperature cycles.

Now as for clothing, gear and other stuff. All the bedding is in the RV. Typically all we need to do is pack our clothes, bathroom stuff and electroincs (laptop, tablet, cameras). Food typically we travel to a larger town and buy food at lower price. As for cookware and plates and such. If you boondocking make sure to consider paper plates and plastic silverware more so. Water is very precious when not hooked up.

Now after a year goes by of using the Rv take note of things not used. Remove them from the RV there is no sense in hauling items that don't get used. There are some things that are required for emergencies like tools, first aid and so forth so don't over board on clearing out unused stuff.

Also make it a point to scale your RV once a year full loaded. This includes a full tank of water and all cargo. Then you know if your over weight or out of balance.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

You don't understand how helpful this is so thank you!!!! So I will check all that I may see if the wife and I can check it out tomorrow. Now if I pull the trigger will the rv place offer a warranty? Should I get it?Aslo Wild n Free said I shouldn't pay more than 75% of the sticker price so I can negotiate a brand new trailer if need be? Do any of you use a spare tank to fill your fresh water up? 

• Owner

I carry two square 5-gallon water containers for spare drinking water. So no matter what I can tow the RV into a city and fill with city water. The thing is for use we've been living off of well-water for over 25 years now and city water makes us very sick. So as long as we got drinking water in the 5-gallon containers we can fill in a city source or RV park. Few times we've camped in Emmett, ID RV park to do our shopping then load up again with water and go boondocking for few more days. Typically I fill the two 5 gallon water containers at home before I leave.

• Owner

The biggest and most important thing. Buy an RV that fits your family.

Make sure the beds are big enough for everyone. Like the jack knife sofa in my RV is nice to sit on to watch TV but its too small of a bed for me to sleep on.  The queen size bed is fine for me but the other two beds are too small. MoparMom loves that jack knife sofa just right for her.

Make sure the bathroom has enough room to use. I've seen some small bathrooms in RV's. I've seen some are really tight and difficult to even get a good shower without banging elbows.

Living area or common area make sure there is enough seating for the family. What good is it to have enough beds but not enough seating for the family in the common area.

Kitchen, make sure to find a kitchen with some counter space. Like my last RV there was no counter space and you had to do all food prep at the dining table.

• Like 1

• Staff

As for a warranty most aren't worth the power to blow them to hell.  I wouldn't get one that's my experience with them.  The dealer has a big profit margin with add on things like the warranties or that "protective treatment" they do to the interior.  They will push it for their profit only.

The best time to buy a vehicle is the end of the month.  Dealer managers want to move the units out of inventory to show strong sales figures to the owner for the month.  Also if they are flooring the inventory, this is where a bank owns the inventory, the dealer doesn't want to pay the interest on the unit for the next month and will sell it for a skinny, not make much, deal.  So take your time and you do the 'grinding' on them when you're in the booth.  Get the deal you want and don't be afraid to walk if it doesn't feel right for you.  And anything you want or they promise GET IT IN WRIGHTING!!!

Go over the trailer with a fine tooth comb.  open every draw and door.  Turn on every switch no mater what it's hooked up to, stove, heater, fridge, water pump, you get the idea.  You might want to make up a check list of thing you want to inspect before you go. 

Remember this; they have a trailer you may or may not want but you have the money they definitely want.          

I have never bought used so dont know if they will offer a warranty. Ask them and see. They might even have a last year model or 2 that you could negotiate even better terms on. Mine stays in parks all the time, more of a second house for me, so 40 gallon tank is all I ever need and then I only keep maybe 10 gallons in it for emergency's. it is a nice unit for sure, just be sure that 35' is not to much hanging off the rear for where you plan to take it. With my 5th wheel at 35' I only have 30' off the back of the truck and the pivot point is 4' inside the bed. Much easier to maneuver in my opinion.56d89d9e3d648_DSCN0238(1).jpg.8057638d4f

It still takes up alot of real estate.

10 hours ago, IBMobile said:

As for a warranty most aren't worth the power to blow them to hell.  I wouldn't get one that's my experience with them.  The dealer has a big profit margin with add on things like the warranties or that "protective treatment" they do to the interior.  They will push it for their profit only.

The best time to buy a vehicle is the end of the month.  Dealer managers want to move the units out of inventory to show strong sales figures to the owner for the month.  Also if they are flooring the inventory, this is where a bank owns the inventory, the dealer doesn't want to pay the interest on the unit for the next month and will sell it for a skinny, not make much, deal.  So take your time and you do the 'grinding' on them when you're in the booth.  Get the deal you want and don't be afraid to walk if it doesn't feel right for you.  And anything you want or they promise GET IT IN WRIGHTING!!!

Go over the trailer with a fine tooth comb.  open every draw and door.  Turn on every switch no mater what it's hooked up to, stove, heater, fridge, water pump, you get the idea.  You might want to make up a check list of thing you want to inspect before you go. 

Remember this; they have a trailer you may or may not want but you have the money they definitely want.          

Ok. I actually asked this sales men at johnnie walker rv and he said not really worth it plus he said a 2012 is fairly new and no need for one.

10 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

The biggest and most important thing. Buy an RV that fits your family.

Make sure the beds are big enough for everyone. Like the jack knife sofa in my RV is nice to sit on to watch TV but its too small of a bed for me to sleep on.  The queen size bed is fine for me but the other two beds are too small. MoparMom loves that jack knife sofa just right for her.

Make sure the bathroom has enough room to use. I've seen some small bathrooms in RV's. I've seen some are really tight and difficult to even get a good shower without banging elbows.

Living area or common area make sure there is enough seating for the family. What good is it to have enough beds but not enough seating for the family in the common area.

Kitchen, make sure to find a kitchen with some counter space. Like my last RV there was no counter space and you had to do all food prep at the dining table.

Yes I agree I like some models with a "u" dinet only but if it rains I do not know where my family of 5 would hang out. It would be tight.

9 hours ago, dripley said:

I have never bought used so dont know if they will offer a warranty. Ask them and see. They might even have a last year model or 2 that you could negotiate even better terms on. Mine stays in parks all the time, more of a second house for me, so 40 gallon tank is all I ever need and then I only keep maybe 10 gallons in it for emergency's. it is a nice unit for sure, just be sure that 35' is not to much hanging off the rear for where you plan to take it. With my 5th wheel at 35' I only have 30' off the back of the truck and the pivot point is 4' inside the bed. Much easier to maneuver in my opinion.56d89d9e3d648_DSCN0238(1).jpg.8057638d4f

It still takes up alot of real estate.

That denali is like 36ft :ahhh: so I am concerned because some of the campsites I want to go to max is 30 there are only to with a max of 45. Plus a rookie behind the wheel. Lol.

I noticed that most of the trailers have plastic toilets isn't procelain toilets better? I know most of the jaycos have them is it hard to have one put in or put in?

Ok yea some of the models I have been looking at have plastic so I was concerned. I did read however that the porcelain doesn't stain. So I was thinking about putting one in what ever one we bought but 230 plus an 1 hour of labor seemed a little pricy to me.

30 minutes ago, ADawg said:

Ok yea some of the models I have been looking at have plastic so I was concerned. I did read however that the porcelain doesn't stain. So I was thinking about putting one in what ever one we bought but 230 plus an 1 hour of labor seemed a little pricy to me.

Its like buying things for a boat. It always cost more. $230 buck will be a really nice toilet for you house

Edited by dripley

• Owner

Personally for as little as you'll use that toilet I really doubt it will every stain in the life of that RV. I might spend one month of living in my RV total for the entire year. The rest of the time it sits in the yard doing absolutely nothing and not being used. Think about it I've got a 15 year old RV and the toilet is like new yet. The only thing that looked well used in the old sticker on the toilet lid explaining care of the toilet which is unreadable now.

I say leave the stock toilet in and just enjoy the RV.