• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Purchasing my first Travel Trailer need advice

Alright guys I am looking to purchase my first ever travel trailer :hyper:. So I have looked at Jayco's which I like but then I looked at a Keystone Springdale 240 and I really like this setup. easy to tow I didnt want anything to long since it is my first TT.  http://www.johnniewalkerrv.com/rv/las+vegas+nv/keystone+traveltrailer/7650/keystone+springdale+240bh

the price is 24,000 and now there is a sale pending. So I did a little more research and found a Coleman CTS244BHWE on sale for 17,995

http://www.lasvegasrv.com/new-travel-trailer-rvs/2016-coleman-coleman-cts244bhwe-1243015

I like both models but the coleman is more in my price range right now not to say I couldnt get the springdale its just I do not know how often I would take it out to get my monies worth per say. The other issue is the coleman trailers are offered at camping world which do not have very good reviews. The other Rv center does not know when they will get another Springdale in. So after all that does anyone have any thoughts on the coleman trailers? Any advice or guidance at buying any trailer will be much appreciated.  

Edited by CSM

I can't speak to those specific units.  But I have owned a few and each time I have bought one I have insisted on having an outside shower and an awning.  We use our outside shower quite a bit, especially with kids. 

do you have atv's? or toys?

bumber pull or 5er?

i'm a fan of Artic Fox. they have toy haulers with built in generators. very nice feature. ive seen a few Tangos that were ok. 

don't be afraid to buy used. wife n i got our current 5er for 5K. the genny had 120 hours. two new 6V batteries, all i did was buy 4 Hercules tires, and repack the bearings, replaced the roof vent covers. it's a great trailer. and very spaciouse. for us with 2 kids. and it'll fit our Commander MAX inside. i've added solar panels as well.

our awning is 18' on the side and we can lower the rear door and have a bug screen down for another kinda outdoor patio type thing.

our first was small. 12' so we learned by the 3rd one 33' (current one) to buy more then you think you'll need. it's worth it. we only boon dock. never been in a "camp ground" per say yet.

try and get the biggest fridge you can. try an get one with flipped axles if you plan on off road travel, get the 7 gallon propane tanks. look for the 16" wheels.

we like the weekend warrior line.

when you were looking at bumper pulls. we wanted a forward bedroom, was well worth that feature alone. the added storage under the bed was awesome to have. something our 5er does not have.

i have more thoughts depending how this advise is received.

just clicked your links.

http://www.johnniewalkerrv.com/rv/las+vegas+nv/keystone+traveltrailer/7650/keystone+springdale+240bh

i would stay away from. it has a special matress that you can only get from them. not a standard queen.

that alone would shy me away from it. and i don't like slid outs they are HEAVY!!.

of the two you posted i'd take the Colman. layout is better bed access is better.

i also like the fiberglass siding. that none of those had.

personal preference.

here's one i'd consider.

http://www.lasvegasrv.com/used-travel-trailer-rvs/2004-thor-wanderer-260rk-1273267

here's a really nice one. i would give this one some serious thought. the layout is excellent.

http://www.lasvegasrv.com/used-travel-trailer-rvs/2005-thor-tahoe-30-ms-1266362

• Owner

Another suggestion is to look at the frame design closely. That was one of the selling factors on my Jayco with the double square tube frame. Very strong compared to most ultra lites that tend to flex.

@Killer223 mention the 7 gallon propane bottles. They are typically listed as 30# propane bottles. Very nice to have the larger bottles.

I'm also more so a boondocker than a campground or RV park person. I love the idea of finding a turnout, wide spot, flat piece of ground and set up. Like Killer223 I'm also powered up with solar too so no generator needed, no fuel to drag around, no noise either.

@Killer223 mentions the queen bed. I'm lucky there to I've got a true queen in my Jayco. Very comfortable. I was picky about the bed. There is no way I would buy an RV with a bed that I can't sleep in. So that left me look for a "True Queen" and not a "RV Queen".

Slides are heavy. Not doubt about that. I've got a fairly large slide but being the Cummis is pulling it no problem. I cross the scale typically between 7,800 to 8,000 pounds depending on how much cargo is in the RV. This weight is with full tank of water and empty holding tanks.

I also bought used too. Mine was a purchased back in Nov. 2010 but the RV was a 2000 Jayco Eagle 296 FBS. The only repairs I've done is a set of brakes on the forward axle, bearing packing, fixed a few minor things, and recoated the roof.

@Hawkez mentions the outside shower. Mine is really handy for waste dumps. I keep a bar of soap out there and the shower is right near the dump outlet so I can wash up or even rinse my hose if there is no water available at the dump site. That has happened a few times.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

yeah until we get more info what he's  lookin for it's hard to say. i know mine loaded is 13200 last time across the CAT scales. but i have toy hauler 5er though and 140 gallons of water, 50 gallons gas, food and beverages to last a family of 4 a week or more. and firewood in the bed of the truck. a Commander Max, lawn chairs, it adds up fast. but i gotta say it's WELL worth it.

IMG_3910.JPG

IMG_3912.JPG

• Like 1

i am not sure where you will be camping but if it is in any sub freezing weather you will want an enclosed under belly and possibly heated. Mine has this though i have barely used the tank heaters, but I have never frozen up except in my first 5th wheel. An exposed under belly and single digit weather do go together well and  thawing out brown icicles is no fun.

• Staff

I've towed travel trailers and 5th wheels and I like the ride the 5th wheel gives, you don't get that up and down see-saw motion.  If I need extra stuff I hook up a trailer behind the 5er and fill that up.  A queen size bed is nice if you're big, if you're my size you can rent out the extra space.

56d6709baaf1f_BridgeportOct2009277.jpg.4

42 minutes ago, dripley said:

sub freezing weather you will want an enclosed under belly and possibly heated.

It makes RVing that much better in cold weather.  Who want to spend their camping time dealing with problems if they can be avoided.56d677a8da24e_Bridgeport10-2008048.jpg.9

• Owner

The argument between 5th wheel and travel trailer is choice. Like myself, I like to be able to toss the ATV in the bed of the truck on camping trips so 5th wheel is not an option. But some will say yet just buy a toy hauler. Again, the floor plans are not friendly to some people. So its comes down to personal choice. Performance wise towing a properly setup travel trailer will pull just as good as a 5th wheel. There are subtle differences but overall I can get to the spot that a 5th wheel can.

There are many many options for rear carrier options that mount to the frame of 5ers designed to haul most anything now days like atvs sop that is not an excuse. I guarantee I can squeeze the same size 5er or 5th wheel through spots one would never try a bumper pull. I wish I could have filmed the look on my wife faces when I have told her it will make it in there when positioning our 30 foot flatbed or 20 foot stock trailer in some tight spots I would have never thought of trying with a bumper pull with out unhooking it a couple times to reposition it with the pickup.

I personally after owning nothing but bumper pulls for 20+ years and having pulled goosenecks and 5ers and have now converted my whole trailer fleet other than my 72 Avion and pontoon trailer over to gooseneck will never in my life ever own another bumper pull trailer again. I have spent many days playing with boat and axle position of the toon trailer to get it to pull half decent though.

Edited by Wild and Free

After watching so many bumper pulls swaying down the highway I opted for a 5th wheel. One for overall length and the other for stability. I know a lot of those I saw swaying were probably not loaded right or what ever, but that is what made me go with the fifth wheel. I also dont need much in the bed for how I travel. I have 35 footer now that is much to big for just me, but since it is all but paid off I will live with it a couple more years and then down size maybe.

Thanks guys for the input! I can not afford a 5th wheel plus I to like having the bed of my truck. I have no toys so I do not have a need for a toyhauler. I do like the coleman because its manufactured by Dutchman which I have read is a pretty good company. The fresh water tank is enclosed not sure of the rest. I have not made the trip to see it yet. The Springdale is full enclosed and has an outside cooking like stove and fridge area.

My biggest thing about buying used is this is my first time so I would not even know where to begin to start. Plus I have this fear of not knowing how it was taken care of and used sofa/beds.

Since I have never towed a travel trailer I am just trying to stay below 30 feet so I can get use to then maybe in a few years I can upgrade.

Edited by ADawg

Go with what you are comfortable with.  If you are set on buying new I would suggest walking through lots of trailers just to get a feel of different floor plans.  This may help you decide on what you like and dislike.  Post pictures of what you buy to make the rest of us jealous.

2 hours ago, ADawg said:

Thanks guys for the input! I can not afford a 5th wheel plus I to like having the bed of my truck. I have no toys so I do not have a need for a toyhauler. I do like the coleman because its manufactured by Dutchman which I have read is a pretty good company. The fresh water tank is enclosed not sure of the rest. I have not made the trip to see it yet. The Springdale is full enclosed and has an outside cooking like stove and fridge area.

My biggest thing about buying used is this is my first time so I would not even know where to begin to start. Plus I have this fear of not knowing how it was taken care of and used sofa/beds.

Since I have never towed a travel trailer I am just trying to stay below 30 feet so I can get use to then maybe in a few years I can upgrade.

My first 5th wheel was a Dutchman. It was a good unit. Me and the wife lived in it for near 7 years. The only problem it gave me was the fridge went out after 5 years or so. This one was completely open underneath and would stand temps in mid 20's ok. The water tank we never really had to use since we stayed RV parks all the time, but as i remember it was not exposed like the gray and black water tanks.

It does sound like you know what you can afford and want. So you have to go where your heart tells to go. Do look at several as suggested and never think about paying more than 75% of the sticker.  

I read something a week ago or so, can't remember where now that RV's are the number 1 item of all time that are defaulted on and repossessed the most.

Which goes along with dripleys comment of not paying more than 75% of sticker price, from my observations these things have the worst value retention of anything, Buy new pull it off the lot and it drops 30-40+-% of value in 20 feet of ownership.:doh:

Edited by Wild and Free

remember, 80% of them just sit. and are used 4-5 times. then once or twice a year. nothing wrong with used. always replace teh bed with a pillow top. the couch is not big deal.

Whats the intended use for the RV? hunting? back woods camping? trailer park queen?

• Like 1

My Cardinal listed for $54k new. I paid somewhere around 41 or 42k for it. After living in it for the past 10 years I would be lucky to sell it for 5 grand. I could probably get a decent trade in if I bought a new again but that aint happening. I would probably just sell it for whatever and search out someone who did the same and did not use theirs as much as I did mine and find a good deal. While W&F is right about the depreciation of them, Killer is also right that most of them just sit. So used is not a bad way to go. 

I will be camping in southern Utah for sure at least once a year but I would like to go other places and if the need arises go where it gets cold. I have started looking at used like many of you have suggested and found this 2012 Dutchmen Denali 311BH

http://www.johnniewalkerrv.com/rv/las+vegas+nv/dutchmen+traveltrailer/8160/dutchmen+denali+311bh

It only hold 52gal fresh and its like 35ft long but they are going for around 24,000.

denali.jpg

dont_copy (1).jpg

dont_copy (2).jpg

dont_copy (3).jpg

dont_copy (4).jpg

dont_copy (5).jpg

dont_copy.jpg

The campsites I plan on going to do not have hookups but only a dump station.