• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Notes from the wilderness!!!

MoparMom

• Owner
55 minutes ago, Hawkez said:

I can sit out there for hours watching the animals that I have and I am amazed at their personalities and abilities.  To me, it is all proof of a loving God and I thank Him each day for His creations.

I've got a similar effect with all the dogs we've had and even Diesel. It seem when it comes to play time he looks towards me for the fun and excitement. Then when they get sick it's not MoparMom he goes but me. For some reason, they know how will take care of their particular needs. Animals in general are strange but if you pay attention you can friends with even wild animals. Every winter I've got flocks of small birds that winter here now knowing there is a supply of food and water through the winter time.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I hate keep posting pictures of my silly birds.  All 9 eggs that were under Mother Goose in the barn hatched.  I am still amazed that that many made it.  In my wife's incubator in her classroom so far she has 4 of the 9 that have hatched. Her kids in her classroom have had a ball with it.

20160420_150240.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hawkez said:

I hate keep posting pictures of my silly birds.  All 9 eggs that were under Mother Goose in the barn hatched.  I am still amazed that that many made it.  In my wife's incubator in her classroom so far she has 4 of the 9 that have hatched. Her kids in her classroom have had a ball with it.

20160420_150240.jpg

:thumb1:  Thumbs up to sharing this in the classroom. Alway great education. 

26 minutes ago, CSM said:

I see hissing!  You got two birds that don't look happy.

2 Birds?  Nope, there were 5 there that weren't happy.  The females have always been pretty calm and stand-offish, but yesterday was the first time that they have actually bit me.  They are definitely a gregarious animal.  Those chicks are protected by the flock and not just momma.  It has been so fun to watch.

8 minutes ago, CSM said:

I want geese now.

I'd be happy to hook you up with some of these.  I have an incubator in the house with 11 eggs that should hatch in 2 weeks.  I should be starting another incubator full this weekend as the one is becoming available.

I bought mine last year from Metzer Farms in southern California.  They just put them in the mail.  I barely feed them as they eat weeds and LOVE dandelions.   I keep water available for them all day.  They are very little work.

5 minutes ago, Hawkez said:

I'd be happy to hook you up with some of these.  I have an incubator in the house with 11 eggs that should hatch in 2 weeks.  I should be starting another incubator full this weekend as the one is becoming available.

I bought mine last year from Metzer Farms in southern California.  They just put them in the mail.  I barely feed them as they eat weeds and LOVE dandelions.   I keep water available for them all day.  They are very little work.

Thanks!  

Unfortunately they aren't allowed where I live at the moment.  (Military base)

This was my day.  My son and I processed about 18 chickens.  We ended up with about 90 lbs of meat that we put in the freezer.  My wife and I figured that between the cost of the birds and feed this harvest cost us about $1.45 a pound. Not too bad for a days work. 

On a side note, I am a proud dad.  My 12 year old son was in charge of the killing, scalding, plucking, and chopping off the legs.  I was impressed at how capable he was and never needed my help, in fact, I struggled to keep up with him.

20160423_160110.jpg

• Like 2

mmmm... I love fried chicken. 1.45 a lbs. in those birds isn't bad, the quality is so much better than store bought and at least you know whats in them

I cant butcher mine though. They are just egg layers. 3 years and still producing. I was thinking of picking up a batch of butcher chickens for the summer,

• 1 month later...

Greenhouse is doing it's work.  We harvested our first veggies this year.  2 split peas, some spinach and a boat load of rhubarb.   Within a week we should have some squash starting to show.  

IMG_20160612_202046.jpg

The garlic is doing great also.   ( on the right, tall)

IMG_20160612_202041.jpg

Our short list

- garlic

- beans

-peas

-tomato ( various)

- green / yellow / Patty pan squash

- cucumber

-strawberries

-raspberries

- asparagus 

- lettuces

- spinach

- small onion (whatever they are called)

- Brussel sprouts

Anyone else growing stuff?

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawkez said:

We have Potatoes, Onions, Tomatoes and lots of corn.  One of these years I'd like to plant garlic.

i'd highly recommend it.  It is SOOO easy to do and it leaves you with a nice area to plant mid july once you harvest the garlic.

1 minute ago, Me78569 said:

i'd highly recommend it.  It is SOOO easy to do and it leaves you with a nice area to plant mid july once you harvest the garlic.

Do you plant your garlic in the fall or early spring?