• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Batteries 12v or 6v

• Owner

Typically two 6V batteries have more amp/hours of power than two 12V batteries. If there wasn't a weight issue I would say go for six 2V batteries they have even more stored energy. The problem is the more amp/hour storage the longer recharge time will be.

@lrhull I hid your other post for you.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff

I run with 2 six volt batteries and they'll power my rig for a weekend with the heater going on and off the whole time.  They would probably have lasted longer if I had LED lights, put on more clothing and it wasn't 17° out side.  When it was colder in my rig than it was in my refrigerator I got a generator.  It was overcast and snowing on and off all week end so I don't think solar panels would have helped. 

• Owner
8 hours ago, IBMobile said:

It was overcast and snowing on and off all week end so I don't think solar panels would have helped. 

It does help but very slow to charge. It's been overcast and rainy here for the last few days and RV is stand out with the solar panels. I was doing sanitizing of the water system and doing long runs of the water pump and running some of the lights. Just the recovery time is longer.

As pointed out already, two 6 volt batteries will offer better amp hours over time when compared to two equivalent amp hour 12 volt batteries simply because 6 volt batteries have more lead in them.

But one item which will make your camping experiences better when running off battery power is having a smart converter when the RV/trailer is connected to shore power.  Smart converters like Progressive Dynamics 9200 series will run in four modes to keep the batteries in their best and highest charge for maximum time when unplugged.  Other cheap converters wont do that and can even destroy batteries by overcharging them.  I have the PD unit with the Wizard attachment and it works great.  I also recently bought a pair of US batteries

• Like 1

• Owner

:iagree:

The only thing I can add is when you do put your RV away for winter storage make sure to change the "Charge Wizard" over to storage mode. This is the lowest charge voltage it will give and will keep the batteries charged but less likely of becoming gassy and venting water over long winter time storage.

• Like 1

i too have two 6 volt batteries. they last longer on low amp draw, but if you are watching TV and a bunch of light the 12V have a higher output. just not for long. so i have a hybrid system. 2 6V and a 12 volt deep cycle. they seem to work great together.

i also have a 150 watt solar panel, it'll almost keep up. pending how much we are in the trailer. we have a built in generator that we rarely use, trailer is an 01 and it has 190 hours on it.

• Like 2

The Wizard plays two parts..... This particular converter automatically maintains storage voltage at 13.2, but every 21 hours for a period of 15 minutes it will bump the voltage up to 14.4 to prevent battery stratification & sulfation.  The remote pendant attachment allows you to manually select what mode the converter is in for times like running the generator where you want to force boost mode.  Pretty cool little device.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Killer223 said:

i too have two 6 volt batteries. they last longer on low amp draw, but if you are watching TV and a bunch of light the 12V have a higher output. just not for long. so i have a hybrid system. 2 6V and a 12 volt deep cycle. they seem to work great together.

i also have a 150 watt solar panel, it'll almost keep up. pending how much we are in the trailer. we have a built in generator that we rarely use, trailer is an 01 and it has 190 hours on it.

I'm glad to read this because I've been toying with the idea of getting a portable 200 watt solar panel.  Idea being that I could still park in the shaded areas but still have my panels facing in the sun and potentially help offset my night time battery usage.  I'm still wavering on what, how, or how many watts I'd need or want though.....or even if its worth it. :think:

I have the 9260C. Had for 4 years or more. The one that came with the rv went whacky and cooked my battery. I only run 1 12v deep cycle since mine is plugged in all the time. I seem to remember the pendant thingy but did not get one. I was not so concerned ant the time of what is was doing. I guess I am trusting the automatic feature. It has maintained the battery extremely well. Not sure that I have even added any water to it in all this time.

• Owner

I'm working with even smaller 45 watts worth of panels or 3.25 amps @ 13.8 VDC.

Something to consider my entire 2 story house is powered by only 400 watts worth of panels. I will be investing in a upgrade for the house soon this year and going up to 1,100 watts worth of panels. It's not that the 400 watts don't work it that the winter sun angle is so short you need more amps to get caught up in the winter time. Summer time typically I'm selling power back because I can't use it all.

hs7242.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I'm working with even smaller 45 watts worth of panels or 3.25 amps @ 13.8 VDC.

Something to consider my entire 2 story house is powered by only 400 watts worth of panels.

WHAT?????  I'd certainly like to hear more about this since I'm currently in the beginning stages of equipping my home with solar.  I've been researching for a few months and was going to do the typical ground mount panel system tied into the grid but the more I get into this rabbit hole the more I'm wondering if going completely off the grid would be better.  Not sure.....  But I can tell ya that 400 watt doesnt seem to be near enough since my current usage is going to require a 10k - 12k system just to zero my utility bill.