• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Alright I've searched and searched the forums and for the life of me can't figure this out!

Where do you actually drain your power steering fluid!!??

I want to do a flush because my fluid is bad/low. I would just do the turkey baster idea for now if I knew for sure it was power steering fluid that was used last but I don't so that's why I want to do the full flush.

So whatcha got?! Pics would be great too!

• Staff

You can do a flush by taking the return line off the PS pump and letting it drain in it a bucket.  with the front wheel up in the air turn the steering wheel lock to lock several times, put hose back on refill and repeat until clean. You could plug up the port on the PS pump for the return line and run a hose into the top of the PS reservoir and keep pouring fluid in while the system is running.  Do not let the pump run dry.   

• Like 1

last time I did mine, I pulled the return line off at the hydro boost (easy to get to) because I couldn't get it off at the pump without cutting it off. I pulled it at the hydro boost and just added a few feet of hose to get it in a container. mine was pretty contaminated it took about 4 quarts to clean it up.

Hydro boost is the big unit on firewall that brake resivour is connected to. Just follow lines from PS pump to the hydroboost. The return lines are fastened with a hose clamp and high pressure line with a fitting. Just disconnect return line from either end and follow flushing procedure

So if I take off the return line from the steering box, I'll probably need to put a different hose on there to be able to put into my flush bucket correct? That way I'd have the original return hose off into my bucket, and the new hose added to the steering box to help with the flush?