• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

automatic transmission late shift

6 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Yes you can replace it. Just like Nick said just pull the transfer case then pull the seal and drive a new one in. Also there is no need for the gasket in between the transfer case and the transmission there is a drain hole in the tail of the transmission.

Thanks. where exactly is that drain hole?

OK people I got a new ISSUE and need your help again.

I drain trany unhook all line and clean them with air, clean the trany cooler with KOOLER CLEANER spry, installed new filter and drain valve on pan, adjust both band, fill it with Valvoline synthetic ATF+4. I measured amount of drain fluid was 3 gallon which is 12 quarts. after I add 11th quart start leaking right from panel or whatever is called under the flywheel. I had to open it till drain it so. is drained trany supposed to take 17 quarts? is not only this my real issue is: after all of this things I'm done trany start acting weird!!! between 46 to 52 MPH got confuse on 3rd and 4th. shifts from 3rd to 4th and back to 3rd right a way and again 4th and keep do in it till I let go of pedal and drop the speed to 45 or less then stays on 3rd OR keep pushing it and raise the speed to 55 MPH then stays on 4th what is the matter of this? in the other hand do we supposed to have 3 shift when O/D is off (light ON) and 4 shift when O/D is on (light OFF)? why I've 4 shift on both positions?

Appreciate for help.  

If I'm understanding you correctly, it sounds like your trans is going from 3rd to 4th then back to 3rd pretty quickly? Mine will do the same if I hover around a certain speed. It's like it's just not quite fast enough for 4th but a little faster then it's like in 3rd so the trans doesn't exactly know what gear to pick. With a little more throttle/speed it'll shift to 4th or 4th O/D depending on how much throttle/speed I pickup. 

Seems normal to to me but I could be wrong or just misunderstood your issue.

9 hours ago, notlimah said:

more throttle/speed it'll shift to 4th or 4th O/D depending on how much throttle/speed I pickup. 

Appreciate for respond. I must be under 45 or over 55 mph other vise it keep do in it, 10 mph differences  it don't make since to me. in fact why not the other shifts or speeds? something is not right. how abut if I just want to stay @ 50 mph from point A to B which is 25 miles a part, then what should I do? ignore the up & down shifting or speed limit? is yours does the same? any advise,

Thank You 

10 hours ago, banzaitoyota said:

I use an Ashcroft snubber,  good enough for naval nuclear reactors,  good enough for me 

What do you mine?

under 50 mph= OD off, or 3rd. Over 50 consistently, OD or 4th. Sometimes I'll run at 2200 rpm in 3rd just to keep from lugging the engine or shifting back and fourth between 3rd and 4th. Lately I've been dropping the selector into 2nd when going through the center of town because there's so much gas-brake, the transmission unlocks every time you take your foot off the gas. Manual transmission is the best option. These auto dodges aren't made for daily driving. My truck shifts differently when there's a load behind the truck or in the bed.

13 hours ago, notlimah said:

flip flop between gears.

Thank You that's what exactly I mine. today I try to get the video, it's so weird cause just the 3rd shift acting like that. on up hill ( not much grad ) trany act flip flop between 2nd &3rd, at stop and go on highway traffic between 3rd & 4th.  she's not staying on 3rd wile O/D is ON, but when O/D is OFF (light ON) she has no problem at all and working properly. it must be something realy wrong with it and that's the reason I start this topic from the beginning.

I'll be appreciate for any suggestion / advise / anything I can fix this problem. if the is no way to solve it by myself then my best choice would be travel to @Dynamic shop.   

Yea that doesn't sound right.

Has this been verified over different sections of road? I tend to forget most of my diagnosis happens on the way to work, on the same stretch of road so things like this I have to go for a drive somewhere else to see if the problem really exists or it just happens to be the way my truck drives that piece of road.

It still seems like somethings funky with yours though. Mine has a small window, maybe 1-3mph, where the trans doesn't like it and cant decide what gear, it basically ends up being a quick shift to 4th then back to 3rd where it'll stay until I speed up or go down a hill.

Trans are hard to diagnose though, that's for sure, that's what makes having Dynamic around so awesome!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CTcummins24V said:

under 50 mph= OD off, or 3rd. Over 50 consistently, OD or 4th.

thank You. when I've O/D @ ON (light OFF) or I call it 4th shift. she won't stay on 3rd properly and change to 4th quickly regardless of speed. even flip flop between 2nd & 3rd.

10 minutes ago, notlimah said:

Dynamic around so awesome!

EXACTLY.

• Owner

I've got a funny though its something wrong with the valve body. There is 2 sets of springs for 1-2 shift and then 2-3 shift I wonder if one set of springs is damaged and its up-shifting too early against a damaged spring and the down-shifting because the pressure fell sharply. Educated guess...

• Like 1

Thank You,  Is it possible APPS cause all of this weird acting and high idling? 

I test it today on the same road and same speeds with cruise control, guess what? NOTHING just the smooth ride. as Mopar man mentioned on my high idling problem I think this one is caused by APPS too and it's maybe acceleration failure not the poor transmission, what you expert friends think? please let me know.

Appreciate    

Hi there, today any was more confuse than other days. it was acting like wont stay on any speed lower than 25mph or over 55mph otherwise flip flop if I want to stay on any speed rather than those. I've to accelerate or let go of pedal. when I got back home,loosen up TV cable a little bit and test drive it. I could count shifting 1 through 4 even stays a bit more on each specially 3rd that I was complain abut it, but here ago again same o same. as Mopar man suggested, unplugged APPS sensor and start the engine she fire up normal only thing no accelerate. shot it down plug the APPS and start it again engine light came on, do the key things shows 2 code: P0122 & P1693.  now what I have to do? any idea or suggestions would be Appreciate.

SORRY I don't no how to hot wire VP44.                          

Well it looks like your APPS is having issues (obviously) but doesn't seem like you need to hot wire the VP since you unplugged the APPS and the truck started, that rules out it being a VP problem.

Follow Mike's run down of your p0122 code in the following...

You don't need to worry about the 1693 code, it's a 'companion code' meaning that you have another code from a different computer, in your case the 0122 code.

If you still want to do it just to try another form of troubleshooting here's the LINK to blue chips procedures on hot wiring the VP44, although I don't think this is really necessary for you to do at this point.