• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

High idle installed

Just got my new high idle switch installed and everything seems to work great. Question is if I start it in 6cyl mode and get in the truck to leave should I hit the brake to stop high idle before turning the switch to off?

• Like 1

Doesn't matter,  the brake will only restart the high idle ramp up process.  The disable of the high idle is built into the ECM programming so you really dont have to worry.

The only way to truly disable the high idle is to reach operating temp or to turn the truck off for 30 seconds.

think of it this way, the switch really only flips the switch for high idle on, it can't flip the switch off.  

Also post some pictures!!!

Edited by Me78569

Ok that's what I was thinking. I was just concerned about forgeting to turn it off for the next key cycle in case I didn't need it. I will put some pics up tomorrow, it's dark here in my part of the world!

If you're like me and forget to turn the switch to off before you start every morning it may throw a code (forget what number) that basically says it's not seeing any temp difference in you IAT temps but from my experience it didn't effect anything and it also went away by just starting the truck making sure the switch is off.

• Owner

Best to set the mode of high idle before starting. Then after its starting ramping up you may change mode to MPG or OFF. The only mode you can leave for extended time is 6 CYL this mode will not cancel by coolant temperature. This will keep it from canceling for times like jumping starting another vehicle. But if you start with 6 CYL and then flip to OFF after ramping occurs it will cancel normally with coolant temperature.