• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Front passenger brake problem

When I bought my truck previous owner installed new calipers to hopefully fix a problem with the front passenger side wearing down quicker.I have since replaced all the hard brake lines and installed new pads. It seems there is still a problem with the right side. Symptoms are twice the amount of brake dust on that side.. the warmer the brakes get it starts to squeal. . There is is an ever so slight pull to that side at times.. and the brakes seem to become more grabby the warmer they get. Im also starting to feel a slight pulsation like the rotor is slightly warped. The only thing I can think of would be to change the soft lines.. right? Anything else I should look at/for? Thanks... 

It sounds like you have a bad brake hose (soft line) in the front. Basically the hose will swell up on the inside and hold pressure inside the caliper causing the brake to drag. Or a bad hose won't allow pressure to a caliper making the other one do all the work. 

So replace both front hoses and you might as well rebuild the calipers while your at it. I know you said they're new but that doesn't mean much. I think Mike has an article on the rebuild process. 

• Like 1

I had issues with my front brakes also awhile back I bought 2 rotors 2 calipers and 2new hoses from Napa haven't had a problem since I tried doing this and that to fix it and a great mech told me just change it all your stopping 6700 plus pounds of steel I think I got almost 30 k on these pads now I'll be checking them soon 

Edited by ebbtide357

• 3 weeks later...

Replaced the front soft brake hoses today and tried adjusting the rear brakes. Drove a few miles and the truck started shuddering so badly without even applying the brakes.. I thought the wheels were falling off it was shaking so badly. Pulled over and the rear drums were HOT. Went and bought some new drums and shoes. Other than still needing a slight adjustment.. all seems well. I think my mileage will increase as I believe there has always been drag back there.. hope so any way! Fronts seem to be a better too... I didn't feel the slight pull to the right that I was feeling before.

Edited by dodgedieselnewbie

Need HELP...

Shudder is back.. This morning I went out and made a slight adjustment to the rear brakes because when I got home yesterday (when all was well) the driver's side drum was cool to the touch versus the other side that was warm. Adjusted it til I could feel it make slight contact with the drum. Took it for a spin and it started shuddering again. Came home and backed it off a little.. no help. The drums were getting hot enough to discolor them. Getting frustrated.. I walked away for awhile. 

Had a friend come over and inspect with me.. They seem to be sticking but not sure why. We tried engaging the parking brake while holding the release handle.. It actuated the brakes but when you release the pedal.. the driver's side shoes won't go back in place. Maybe the cable is binding/sticking? 

So.. I cleaned the crapolla out of the brakes with 4 can of Brake Kleen.. and lubed any pivot points and the ebrake cable where I could. I adjusted the brakes so they were backed off a bit. Put the drums and wheels back. Drove it for about 4-5 miles down the road and back applying the brakes a half dozen times. Shudder is a third of what it was and both sides were about equal in warmth to where I could touch the drum for a second or two without burning my fingers.

Another thing we tried was disconnecting ABS (2 wheel) and no change. I'm not really sure ABS is working correctly.. because before and after doing this work... The rears would lock up quite easily with no pulsation in the brake pedal. 

FYI... Modifications to the rear are GM 1 ton cylinders and proportioning valve delete/bypass. Also... had parking brake pedal assembly replaced last year. It has never quite felt right... pushes easily to the floor.

Any help/insight/advice/whatever you can provide would be extremely! appreciated!!! Please...............

Edit... Another thing on this last road test was.. when I put it in reverse and pressed the brake pedal firmly.. I could here a slight clunk noise from back there.. seemed to me like the brake assembly shifting? Maybe from being too loose?

Edit 2... Here's what I've found so far from researching rear drum problems. Something with the backing plate binding and needing grinding down? And... maybe 1 ton cylinders are maybe too much for the 2500's?

DDN,

Check the backing plates!!  There are 3 or 4 points per pad, where the backing plate supports the Shoe.  (If you think about it, this is what resists the springs that hold the shoe to the plate.)

These get grooves in them over time. (most people never lubricate these points.)  They need to be smooth without grooving.  I usually hold the shoe against the backing plate and make sure it can move easily.

Take a peek at the FSM page.

HTH

Hag

2001 FSM Ram 5-27.pdf

Edited by Haggar
said pad meant shoe
  • Like 1

• Owner

Also take a look a the springs too! Springs over time will degrade in pulling strength so it might not be strong enough to pull the shoes back in. Most parts stores set hardware kits for drum brakes that typically replaces everything spring wise.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/BHH0/H2314/01271.oap?year=2000&make=Dodge&model=Ram%2B3500%2BVan&vi=1434797&ck=Search_01271_1434797_-1&pt=01271&ppt=C0064

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Got drums cut, new spring kit and adjusters.. lubed everything.. and all seems fine. Smoothest braking since ownership. Hoping there will be less brake dust (especially pass side) up front with the installation of the new soft lines.. time will tell. Thanks everyone!!