• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

April 25, 1976

dorkweed

14 minutes ago, notlimah said:

I had not seen that before. Thanks for sharing!

With that being said...

GO GIANTS!! :popcorn:

That said;  if I may ask, how old are you???

I was 2 days short of my 12th birthday, and I remember this like it was yesterday.

It was weird then..................we'd been disgraced in Vietnam (due to politics) just a few years prior, had the Watergate thing, Nixon resigning the Presidency,  President Ford had an assassination attempt on his life,  and we were coming up on the bicentennial of our country.  Mixed up all around.................

• Staff

Yes thank you for sharing that. My Dad was killed in Vietnam while on rescue duty sleeping in a helicopter. It was blown up with him inside and left 7 of us kids paying the price for no father while growing up. We experienced some of the price of freedom.

Sorry for you and your families loss Jag.

But on a side note the last time we fought for our freedom was WWII and our gov knew of the pearl harbor attacks well in advance and could have prevented all the loss of life in Hawaii but let it happen because it was the only way to get involved in the war at the time. All "conflicts" since have been totally and purely politically and financially driven and had nothing to do with our freedoms except to help in eroding them away slowly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Yes thank you for sharing that. My Dad was killed in Vietnam while on rescue duty sleeping in a helicopter. It was blown up with him inside and left 7 of us kids paying the price for no father while growing up. We experienced some of the price of freedom.

JAG1, that really must have sucked. I doubt I can fully understand.  The families of vets sometimes pay just as high of a price as the actual military member.  

2 hours ago, Wild and Free said:

Sorry for you and your families loss Jag.

But on a side note the last time we fought for our freedom was WWII and our gov knew of the pearl harbor attacks well in advance and could have prevented all the loss of life in Hawaii but let it happen because it was the only way to get involved in the war at the time. All "conflicts" since have been totally and purely politically and financially driven and had nothing to do with our freedoms except to help in eroding them away slowly.

On your side note, Bill...  

I don't advocate for our politicians or the horrible way the wars have been run.  However, if you are advocating isolationism, I disagree completely.  Isolationism is one of the causal factors of world war 2.  Isolationism wasn't even a viable option during the Revolutionary War.  If anything, I would argue for more of a presence along with a properly operating Department of State, but we seem to miss that mark these days. 

War is, and has always been, politics by other means.  Our duly elected civilian leadership has not done a good job with their end.  To that, I blame the leaders the american people have duly elected, and the people aren't devoid of that culpability completely. I do not under any circumstances, blame the service members who do the job they are given.  

• Staff

Thank you for the nice notes about my family going thru that. I appreciate it.

You know some of these controversial conflicts we got into, I try to stay positive by realizing that at least we exercised our military might,  showing some of the bad leaders of this world that they better think twice before messing with us. I think we have made the world a safer place as a result.

I too extend my condolences on the loss of your father. I cant imagine growing up with out mine.

WWII was the last war that we fought with total victory as the objective and let our military go at it. The military was sent to do what it new how to do with much less political interference than seen since. Carpet bombing was part of the strategy. Ted Cruz aint got a clue of what that means. This was all out total war to get it over with. If we had fought WWII like we do today, we would have sat down at the table with Hitler and Hirohito to negotiate. What would the world be like today? This day and time we send our military somewhere and tie one their hands behind there back and expect them to accomplish the same thing. Aint going to happen. War is dirty, nasty, ugly business. They longer it takes the uglier it is. Think of the casualties that would have happened had we invaded Japan.

By late 1944 the American people were pretty well sick of the war. It took over 6,000 dead Marines and flag raising on Iwo to re inspire them to the finish. Dont get me wrong I am not faulting the war weary at all. We as a people detest war. but if it has to be fought, fight and get it over with. One of the books that I read on the battle for Iwo was stating how appalled the American people were with the human cost to which one of the vets replied, You think if we could stand the dying the people could stand the reading about it.

The wars being fought today in the middle east will never end until the people over there get fed up with the dying and put a stop to it themselves. I feel the peaceful Muslims truly enjoy our protection, but really dont want what we have to offer in the long run. When they are not killing each other they like their way of life.

There way to much more to be said but I think I will have stop here. Not enough time in the day to express it. These are also just some my personal feelings.

• Like 2