• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

After about 30 years of towing trailers and beating up tail gates and a couple of back windows and side mirrors knocked out over the years from rocks bouncing off the trailers on gravel roads I broke down this morning and bought a nice set of Rock tamer adjustable rock guards off amazon.

I thought when I was pulling my dump trailer to the farm was going to lose another back window, had a couple hard hits and they made my wife jump a bit when she heard it too lol.

A bit late in the game after having had a couple tail gates repainted over the years too but better late than never.

I also noticed a couple dings on the front side of my pontoons too, looks to be from rocks while in tow which makes me really sad, that's my baby and I don't like to see her get hurt.:ahhh:

Just a pic I swiped from the net to show what they are and what they would look like on a true tow beast lol. "Not my rig in the pic".

IMG_0002.jpg

Edited by Wild and Free

I've had them for a few years and they are great.  It is nice to have them custom fit to your truck.  I did bust one side as I was backing up a trailer last year.  I was backing a trailer into a tight spot and while I didn't hit the trailer with my bumper I did bend the flap clamp on my rock tamer.  It only cost me $11 to replace that part.

• Like 1

• Owner
23 hours ago, Wild and Free said:

I thought when I was pulling my dump trailer to the farm was going to lose another back window, had a couple hard hits and they made my wife jump a bit when she heard it too lol.

:think: I'm also out here in the back country dirt roads towing trailers but never had this issue of rocks flying forward at the rear window or tailgate. Are you running without fenders or tires hang out of the fenders or something?

• Staff

I have a set and like them as well. 

Rocks can bounce off the trailer. 

I've broken one back window on a 4Runner years ago from a rock bouncing off the trailer. 

I see rocks fly by the windows as they pass me, but I haven't noticed any contact with the truck. 

Edited by AH64ID

Not dirt roads, "Gravel" roads basically sand to mostly pea to dime sized pebbles that the tires kick up and bounce off the front of the trailer and back at the pickup. Especially more pronounces when towing due to a bit more slippage. All roads here are gravel with basically wind rows of rocks.

Windshield rock chips are a way of life here, tons and tons of window companies here.

Edited by Wild and Free

• Owner
Just now, Wild and Free said:

Not dirt roads, "Gravel" roads basically sand to mostly pea to dime sized pebbles that the tires kick up and bounce off the front of the trailer and back at the pickup. Especially more pronounces when towing due to a bit more slippage. All roads here are gravel with basically wind rows of rocks.

Same here. Most of the city streets of McCall are graveled roads then most of New Meadows is too.

Plus the fact that we are wide open straight line roads where even the gravel road speed limits are in a lot of places 50 mph but everyone drives 60+ mph on them too. Hard to find a trailer with any paint on the front of them after they are a couple years old if they see any gravel.

Edited by Wild and Free

• Owner

Ok. That would be like my road from Whitebird grade across Lake Rd to north side of Grangeville. Is posted 45 MPH I'm typically running 55 MPH is a dirt road cut off that saves the time and mileage of driving into Grangeville and back out again...

My choice of roads that day was a bad idea but it gives an idea of the throw...

s4onza.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

Looks exactly like my 22 mile one way gravel road this last week and again this week as it is raining right now again.

Got the Hemi on the hoist servicing the drivetrain oils and found one rear bilstein shock with oil literally running out of it with a puddle on the ground and my air bags came loose from the upper mounts as the mounting bolts broke off and 3 of the 4 small plates are gone so now to build or buy more of those so the air bags came off until I get parts now.

Service and maintenance never ends when one rattles down rough azz country roads 200+ miles every week.:doh:

Update, I called the company about my air bags and they sent me a heavier air bag mounting kit for free as warranty, said they had all sorts of issues and quickly realized the easy road testing they did in Cali didn't take into account the driving and environmental conditions of the real world so they redesigned the mounting system to something that will definitely hold up better.:thumb1:

Edited by Wild and Free

• 3 months later...

Well having used these for a couple months now I love them so much I decided to buy a second set I found locally, brand new and assembled but never used for 175. It is a pain to switch them over from one rig to the other every other day, dang things are heavy and awkward so I bought a second set. I am glad they are already assembles as that was a bit time consuming so that added to the deal as well.