• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

NV4500 Questions

Gentlemen, I'm not sure how much anyone knows about this subject, so I'll throw it out there and let those who know more about it that me try and educate me.

As you know, my 4500 grenaded, but my dad still has one in his 96 CTD. He's having a bit of trouble with 4th gear now and then. It feels like the detent ball in the top of the cover is getting "stuck." Like it's a little bit harder to push in, and there's no noticeable "clunk" when it drops into gear. Just slightly harder until the shifter is all the way down. Does this sound like an issue in the top cover? If it is, we'd like to swap the top cover with the one out of my 4500 and drop my old clutch in the truck while it's out. This leads me to the next question... are the top covers the same between a 96 and 02? I know that his is round, and mine is square, but if it'll still bolt up and shift properly we'd like to give it a shot. Thanks!

Top covers will swap right over just probably have to swap shifters aswell, The problem could also be caused by the synchro keys under the sliding clutch for 3rd/4th. about 2 years ago I had trouble with my nv4500 where it would stick in reverse and I found that my problem was the 5th/reverse synchro keys.

• Staff

I have an issue like you describe, on my NV5600, at a stop light. I always assumed it was the clutch as it started about the time the clutch went in. 

Does his do it when moving too? Mine shifts like a hot knife thru butter with a little wheel speed. 

• Like 1

• Owner
18 hours ago, TFaoro said:

As you know, my 4500 grenaded, but my dad still has one in his 96 CTD. He's having a bit of trouble with 4th gear now and then.

Also could be the same thing I've got a problem with. 4th gear syncro. Later today I get some photos. Like I've learned already the syncro more so of the detent action that the top cover is. Take quit a bit to push with your fingers a shift ring over the syncro on a good syncro.

Hey if either of you are still looking for a transmission I know a guy in Ohio that ships the price for a nv4500 is $1200 for the trans $250 for shipping and $500 for the core charge http://www.tantrumdrivetrain.com/ is the place the man stands behind his work for sure and one of his trans is going into my truck this Thursday.

Edited by thatmn2ndgen

10 hours ago, thatmn2ndgen said:

Hey if either of you are still looking for a transmission I know a guy in Ohio that ships the price for a nv4500 is $1200 for the trans $250 for shipping and $500 for the core charge http://www.tantrumdrivetrain.com/ is the place the man stands behind his work for sure and one of his trans is going into my truck this Thursday.

PJ is a good guy to deal with, I got a trans from him when mine had a washer go through the 5th gears. It was cheaper for me to get one from him than for me to buy just the parts to fix mine, plus since I'm local he dropped it off to me that night and picked up my core.

On 4/23/2016 at 3:17 PM, AH64ID said:

I have an issue like you describe, on my NV5600, at a stop light. I always assumed it was the clutch as it started about the time the clutch went in. 

Does his do it when moving too? Mine shifts like a hot knife thru butter with a little wheel speed. 

I think I know exactly what you're talking about, but this is 4th gear when going down the road at any speed. It really is weird how it's only now and then. @Mopar1973Man might be right that is has something to do with the syncro.

Thanks for the tips guys. If his ends up grenading he and I will probably rebuild it 

• Like 1

On 4/26/2016 at 6:53 PM, bjytech said:

PJ is a good guy to deal with, I got a trans from him when mine had a washer go through the 5th gears. It was cheaper for me to get one from him than for me to buy just the parts to fix mine, plus since I'm local he dropped it off to me that night and picked up my core.

Sweet I thought some people on here would know Paul one of his trans will be showing up around mid week i hope

On 4/26/2016 at 6:53 PM, bjytech said:

Sweet I thought some people on here would know Paul one of his trans will be showing up around mid week i hope