• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Dodged the bullet???

Started truck getting ready to go to work. Backed out of garage Turned onto highway went about 100 yards lost all power started missing. Got turned around and started back to house noticed DTC and no fuel pressure. The code was p0216. No time to check anything, jump into the wife car get to work. All day thinking 1500.00 for new vp 44. Remembered no fuel pressure, checked when I got home' put key in turn to on lift pump runs. Bump engine lift pump runs for 20 seconds. Thinking one time thing. Pull onto road lose all power. So start checking wires. Found one rubbing, no break in insulation but taped it and put cover over it. Also changed the relay for the fuel heater/diesel. Took truck out for test run, it is running great, went about 6 miles. Tomorrow drive to work. Keeping fingers crossed..   

Update

Well today truck started doing same thing. Fuel pressure goes to zero then I get the p0216 code, if I shut down for a couple of minutes then restart and go till it happens again.  going to read up on wire the lift pump away from the ECM and see what happens.

You could wire into a key on circuit and see what happens or check the voltage to the pump when the pressure drops out. If you are getting 12v to the pump when you see 0 pressure I would say the pump is toast. What fuel pressure are you seeing normally?

19 hours ago, dripley said:

You could wire into a key on circuit and see what happens or check the voltage to the pump when the pressure drops out. If you are getting 12v to the pump when you see 0 pressure I would say the pump is toast. What fuel pressure are you seeing normally?

Normal is 20 idle 15 hwy speed 5 wot. The voltage to pump is zero when problem occurs. If I shut down for a minute or two pump starts working again until next time. So far have cleaned any connection I can find. On firewall there are two multi wire connections one of them have a plastic "bale" that holds it together. The bale was not closed all the way. While I had the fuel filter housing out to change leaky drain I also put a Big line kit on, This brought pressure up at wot to 10#. Took truck out and drove to town shopping no problem in the 2-3 hours today. 

Could be that part of the ECM that controls the lift pump is failing. Not an unheard of failure by any means. That is assuming you are getting the power for FRRP from oe pump connection. If my memory is right that connection come straight out of the ECM to the lift pump. Not sure what the ECM does to to protect itself it the pump tries to pull to many amps if it is starting to fail.

Getting that pump off of the ECM is a good idea.  Most of the after mark stuff does that thru a relay using the oe circuit for the relay trigger. This takes the load off of the ECM. You can connect up to key on hot circuit to run the pump, but if you wreck and rupture a fuel line the pump will keep pumping fuel until the key is turned off.

A good many years back I ran a booster pump in conjunction with an in tank pump. The power went thru an oil pressure switch. No oil pressue and the pump did not run. 

Enough of my rambling. Hopefully it was just a loose or dirty connection and you got. Time will tell.

Getting that pump off of the ECM is a good idea.  Most of the after mark stuff does that thru a relay using the oe circuit for the relay trigger. This takes the load off of the ECM

That is assuming you are getting the power for FRRP from oe pump connection. 

Yes that is where the power comes from.

I like this idea. Was wonder if you could use a relay to take off load.

A good many years back I ran a booster pump in conjunction with an in tank pump. The power went thru an oil pressure switch. No oil pressue and the pump did not run.

Do you remember where you put the oil pressure switch? That would make it like the safety oe way.

Please keep rambling, you have good ideas. Thank you.

Edited by klcammie
add comment.

from my experience,(aside from the safety factor) running the lift pump continuously is not the best option, because your vp does not like constant pressure during start up, and you may experience longer cranking times especially when engine is warmed up.

I would run a temporary power source just to determine if problem is with the pump or power source, If it is the ecm, and you need a different circuit, Ive heard of people wiring in a toggle switch in cab just to kill the power to lift pump during start up.

when I first installed the raptor years ago I used the fuel canister heater plug, it plugged right in to the raptor harness.It was continuous key on power, I have since went back to the oe ecm connection and my long cranking issues went away

01 is right about the possible hard start with a circuit hot with key on but there some circuits, such as the power windows that are hot key on but off while starting. Probably not the only one. That would eliminate the pump running while starting. This way or installing a switch still leaves the pump running unless the power is turned off

I installed the oil pressure switch in a port near the center of the block just above the oil pan on the drivers side. Not sure what its for but I did run that 2 pump set up for 3 years or more with no hard starting or other issues. The switch is still there serving as a plug. I could probably get picture of it tomorrow if needed.

The relay set up will only work if the ECM is working right. If it is losing power it wont trigger the relay.

Edited by dripley

Thank you. Still considering the different options. Have found a coupling of more connections that were a little dirty or slightly loose. Since finding the connector on the firewall with the white plastic "bale" loose the problem has not occurred. If that was the problem I will most likely wire in a relay to take load off the ECM. Fingers crossed going for a longer drive today.