• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

NV4500 and 50 SAE GL-4 Synthetic Trans Fluid

When I ran 50wt in the NV4500, I never did any real testing, but I do believe the 50wt ran considerably cooler than the syntorq that's currently in it.

I'm sure you know this, but there are two parts to a NV4500, the gears, and the synchronizers.  A good fluid will keep them both happy.  

I'm curious what your experiences will be, so keep us updated!

Edited by Cowboy
  • Like 1

• Owner

Today was a different run of a day. I had to book to McCall to pick up a lift pump for a local gent to get his truck running again. So I left fairly early this morning the outside temperature was 40*F going out across New Meadows flats. The transmission only barely rose to 120*F on Goose Creek grade then once I was on open road again I kicked up my speed and watch the temperature fade back to below 100*F. Then once I got into town again it rose up to barely 120*F again. Hovered like that for all my travel through town at 25 MPH. Now got what I needed and head back to home for a quick stop to drop off some stuff. The whole way back the temperature would fall back below 100*F again still cold out barely 45*F heading home. Stopped at home drop off the stuff and got moving on to the job in Riggins. Now heading down canyon the temperature started to rise outside to 60*F. Now the transmission temperature inch up off the 100*F to 105*F that's it. I've still been running cruise control at posted speed limits. So the only time I seen it rise again was hitting the city limits of Riggins at 25 MPH it climbed to 120*F. So I worked on my job about 45 minutes or so. Then packed up and got fuel in town and headed home. By this time the wind was picking up and temperature was maxed out at 65*F out side. So the climb back home the transmission temperature barely made 110*F. I traveled a total of 100 miles and never seen much for transmission temperature just a max of 120*F. I will say that so far I'm not even thinking of fast coolers because of how low the temperature are staying for just the truck.

Also I took note of my average loads at 65 MPH... Flat ground running at 65 MPH I'm only producing 40-50 HP and 110-150 Ft/Lbs of torque at the flywheel to keep me going at 65 MPH on flat ground very low drag I would say. Yes the MPG fooler was on this morning.

Screenshot_2016-05-22-11-23-51.png

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Cowboy said:

When I ran 50wt in the NV4500, I never did any real testing, but I do believe the 50wt ran considerably cooler than the syntorq that's currently in it.

No disrespect Cowboy but I'm not sure what you mean.  How did you come to the conclusion that it was running any cooler?

Moparman, for perspective purposes.....  Today it was around 70* outside and driving around the tranny never crested 100*.  Sound similar?

If you have tranny temperature issues in 40*-60* weather then I'm sure you'd be very concerned, as I would be for you too.  As I've mentioned before, I'm looking forward to your summer time towing data..... :thumbup2:

• Owner
1 hour ago, KATOOM said:

I'm looking forward to your summer time towing data..... :thumbup2:

Might get some more towing data very soon. :think:

1 hour ago, KATOOM said:

Today it was around 70* outside and driving around the tranny never crested 100*.  Sound similar?

But what kind of distance did you travel?

9 hours ago, KATOOM said:

No disrespect Cowboy but I'm not sure what you mean.  How did you come to the conclusion that it was running any cooler?

Just feeling the case on restroom stops and such.  Hardly scientific in any way.

16 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Might get some more towing data very soon. :think:

But what kind of distance did you travel?

Around 45 miles or so.  A mix of freeway and around town.

7 hours ago, Cowboy said:

Just feeling the case on restroom stops and such.  Hardly scientific in any way.

7 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

But it will validate what you gauge is showing. Without a gauge yeah not very scientific. :think:

No not really scientific but it still can offer some understanding of comparison if the temperatures are great enough.

From the looks of it, Moparman could be running around 10* cooler than what I currently run but I wont know until the weather warms.  Kinda hard to tell how hot any drivetrain component will maintain when the ambient temperatures are only 10*-20* above freezing. :thumbup2:

• Owner
19 minutes ago, KATOOM said:

Kinda hard to tell how hot any drivetrain component will maintain when the ambient temperatures are only 10*-20* above freezing.

I'm considering that too. I might figure out a way to cover the bottom of the truck to keep cold air from blowing on the transmission. Now seeing like today towing my BigTex 70TV with the lawn mower and weed eater was enough to bring transmission temperatures to a whole 110*F by 10 miles. Optimally I would say 130-160*F roughly would be a good temperature range optimally. At least the oil is hot enough to push moisture out and thinner causing less drag. I'm wanting to see summer temp really bad now. So far transmission temps are typically so low that the needle bare moves or tops out at 130*F.

• Staff

One other thing to consider Michael is that your average fuel economy is higher than most and that means your hp requirements are lower and that will reduce transmission temps. 

I'd be really curious to get you on the highway next to someone with a similar truck and see how the temps correlate. They very likely could stay about the same but they could also increase under "normal" driving conditions. Know where you live and the roads/speed that you drive on I know that it's not "normal" conditions for most people. I always love driving thru there as my mileage is better than a normal drive, even at similar speeds. 

• Like 1

• Owner

Residential speed limit -15 MPH

City / Town Speed Limit - 25 MPH

Highway - 45 to 65 MPH

Interstate - 80 MPH

Problem is that both interstates are at least 2.5 (I84) to 5 hour (I90) drive from me. So speeds higher than 65 MPH are not typical for most of Idaho. This is normal for my state and location. As for you down there near the I84 you jump on and off it all the time. I avoid using interstates typically...

As for logged top speeds...

Screenshot_2016-05-23-18-08-56.png

You should of seen the Mustang rolled on its top last weekend. Not pretty but people attempt to drive fast through here and lose the battle. Number 10 for my area that has rolled it or crashed in a corner this year already.

So... Looking at a map north is I90 and south is I84 everything in between is 45-65 MPH speed limits. So all this talk about high speeds isn't going to happen. But... Steep climbing will happen really soon I'm just trying to gear up for firewood season after the rains stop.

idaho.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man

1 hour ago, AH64ID said:

One other thing to consider Michael is that your average fuel economy is higher than most and that means your hp requirements are lower and that will reduce transmission temps. 

I'd be really curious to get you on the highway next to someone with a similar truck and see how the temps correlate. They very likely could stay about the same but they could also increase under "normal" driving conditions. Know where you live and the roads/speed that you drive on I know that it's not "normal" conditions for most people. I always love driving thru there as my mileage is better than a normal drive, even at similar speeds. 

GREAT point.....!

And MoparMan.....it seems you're regularly running from the law in May. :thumbup2:

Edited by KATOOM

• Owner
22 minutes ago, KATOOM said:

GREAT point.....!

And MoparMan.....it seems you're regularly running from the law in May. :thumbup2:

Like I got warned once already by a local deputy... I've not had a speeding ticket in over 20 years now. Last speeding ticket was for doing 63 MPH in 55 MPH zone with the 1973 Dodge Charger. After working with the county sheriff for both Idaho and Adams Counties and then with Riggins EMS and Salmon River Fire Dept. I've seen my far share of deaths and ugly crashes so I'm not breaking any speed records here. Most of these top MPH are passing vehicles the 83 MPH was passing a double trailer semi truck. Like during my warning the deputy was reading me the list of things he could get me for but I countered with "I didn't want a accident so I picked up the pace during my pass to make it safely." So after seeing all my ID's and checking me over I was released with a warning to set a better example for others on the highway.

As for high speed testing not many people are long haul on the interstates for miles and miles. Most hop on get close to somewhere and hop off. Even my use of the I84 is typically less than 60 miles or less. Basically jumping from Ontario, OR to Caldwell, Nampa or Boise and jumping off. Then when I'm done hop back on return to Ontario, OR. US95 is a much nicer highway and better speed and road conditions. Idaho 55 can be rather dangerous depending on when your on the highway. Friday or Sunday could be rather busy with all the fallout from Boise to McCall..

Now the real test for me is going to haul the BigTex trailer into the back country from 1,800 feet elevation to close to 7,000 feet elevation on a road with speed limits of 15-25 MPH. Grades are much steeper than all the paved highway grades most of them are in the 12-16% bracket for the steepest runs. That will put on more stress climbing slow and steep on a forestry dirt road winding around in the mountains. There is no wind to cool it down at that point...

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

What kind of RPM are turning at 50mph in 5th? Mine only sees about 1500 in 6th at that speed. I know I am heavier that you when towing which makes a good difference. I usually dont use 6th until 60+ mph.. 60 mph in 6th is usually where I see my temps climb pretty high. 

What kind of RPM are turning at 50mph in 5th? Mine only sees about 1500 in 6th at that speed. I know I am heavier that you when towing which makes a good difference. I usually dont use 6th until 60+ mph.. 60 mph in 6th is usually where I see my temps climb pretty high. 

• Like 1

It seems I wind mine up a good bit tighter while towing than you. The weight difference is probably our biggest differences. I usually run mine to 24-2500 rpm before shifting. I dont think mine would like me shifting that low with 15k on it. Not sure how the HO vs SO makes a difference either.