• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel pressure problem, again

• Staff

I had your very same problems once and it turned out to be that I did not torque the factory fuel filter down to 25 foot pounds as required. Plus if you use the square center hole instead of the big socket, it takes, you can cause the filter cap to crack and not even be able to see the crack.

He he I was so afraid I would crack that plastic cap that I made it only a little snug. Soon as I got the big socket with a 10 inch extension I was able to get it to 25 ft. pounds as required and it stopped my fuel from draining back to the ( tank drain back problem)

Eric showed me how to heat the ends of the hose and then they slip right on the barbs.

Eric is a real hoser and love the guy.

I have the fuel supply line hooked up directly to the vp44, I got rid of the oem filter canister.

I'm going to call Eric Monday and get it done. I'm tired of this. I'm really hoping that I don't have to replace the crossover o rings.

The guys at the local diesel shop were nice and helpful, but they didn't have the parts on hand.

Edited by hex0rz

Try not to get too frustrated. These fuel leaks are a PITA to find, and once you get it fixed you'll say to yourself 'man I wish I could've found that sooner!' because more then likely it's going to be something minor and just got overlooked until fixed. You'll get the leak found! :thumbup2:

I have a problem with dwelling on it if I spend money on something that I didn't need to spend on because it wasn't broke in the first place! ?

I'm just cussing out air dog. I guess I should have gotten a fass, system...

• Staff

Eric has the adapters to rid the AD of the quick connects. He also set me up so that I could put in the old oem pump if needed to get me home..

He told me I need to get rid of the quick connects and rid myself of headaches before I ever installed the Air Dog pump. If anyone wants them I have them still new in the box.

:2cents::2cents: Wondering if you could hook up 5 pounds of air pressure to the fuel line down by the tank then go around with a spray bottle of soapy water to find the leaks with bubbles.??

Edited by JAG1

• 5 weeks later...

Got around to doing the bucket test last night. It passed the test. So now I'm trying to figure out where else it could be. Tried to talk to Eric but as soon as i came into the building at work i lost him. Going to try him again tomorrow. 

Anyone have ideas? Could it be the air water separator is plugged?

Ok just to clarify, when doing the bucket test you pulled the suction and return lines from the tank side and put them in the bucket right? And with it like that the truck started right up?

If that's the case then your issue is in your fuel module. Are you running a drawstraw or sump? If not it seems as though you've found your problem since doing the bucket test eliminates the fuel module out of the equation.

Ah ok, so then the opposite of what I said. Fuel module checks good if that's the case. Have you tried pointing the nose of the truck downhill and letting it sit over night and then starting?

Also try hot wiring your lift pump to see if that'll start it. You could try pulling the lift pump fuse and seeing if the truck still starts. If that's a no go, try adding a relay to delay pumping until after the truck starts? Just spit balling here because I can't remember everything you've tried so far but it seems like there's either a leak in your return lines at the back of the head or at the fuel T, or your VPs not happy with the cranking pressure.

I don't have any inclines around me to utilize. 

I talked to Eric at Vulcan performance. He said my next step is to call air dog. I'm going to see what they have to say first then go from there. Also going to put a new water separator in. 

So i dug a little deeper into my fuel problem. I was googling up on the issue and some guys reported that the injection pump hard lines could be the problem. They were saying to Polish up the ends that mate with the crossover tubes. 

I removed the hard lines and polished up all the mating ends. A couple of them looked pretty rough. The crossover tubes were pretty good. I was wishing i also had o rings at the time too, but what can you do sometimes. 

I dunno if it will really solve my problem or not but it will be one less thing to eliminate...

I'll know more later as time goes on to see how the truck reacts. 

Called air dog, told me to check the regulator. I pulled it and didn't see anything out of place. Going to call them again and see what to do next. 

The hard lines were not the problem. Still having issues. 

Edited by hex0rz

Ugh, i dunno what to say. I haven't done much since doing the hard lines. Just been living with the problem. Been dealing with other repairs. As i was about to leave o'reillys, the truck wouldn't start. I could tell during the cranking that something felt different like a gas engine without it's spark plugs in. 

The day this occurred, it was almost 100 degrees out. I let the truck sit for a few minutes then tried again. This time it kind of sputtered over instead of a nice firm firing.

Hasn't done it since but i just dunno. Maybe my vp44 is on its last leg? It's not throwing codes, but that don't mean anything always...

Im thinking more and more about the p pump conversion!

Anyone know if i can substitute the crossover tube o rings with regular o rings or are they specific? Is hate to buy regular o rings that are marked up because i had to order from cummins. Anyone know the size as well?

Last night i found a parking spot at work that had a slight incline. The truck started on the first cranking but i also cranked for 5 seconds or so. Dunno if it was a clue to my problem or not. 

Edited by hex0rz