• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel pressure problem, again

Some May recall my previous problem with my Fuel pressure. Initially the thought was air in the lines. But now I think it's something to do with the air dog pump block area itself. It still could be a house in this area,i dunno. What I do know, is that the problem is stemming from this area.

Last night after work, I killed the batteries trying to get the truck to crank over. Luckily I had a guy to jump me.

On the first startup of the day, it cranks over no problem. Sits afterwards, then it becomes a problem. This has happened a few nights in a row now. But not bad enough like Last night.

I'll bump the starter to get the pump to cycle, and I can distinctly hear a whirring noise like it's not primed. But maybe after a few bumps it'll prime and the whir noise goes away, the pump changes in sound and Fuel pressure goes back up.

Mind you I get about 17psi, when it's not sounding primed. But when it gets primed, 20 to 22psi. I'm at a loss here, and tried calling air dog But they didn't answer. Probably called too late...

Any idea what it is? Could the fittings to the pump block be bad? If it happens again tonight, I'll record video of it to try and get it.

• Owner

Quick connectors... Like I said grease the male fitting with thick axle grease if the problem goes away the connectors need replacing. It's a known issue. Talk to Eric at Vulcan Performance he'll tell you about the suction line issues with quick connects.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Well, I had perfect timing to catch my lift pump in action. Here is a short and well timed video of what I'm experiencing. I believe this is the source of my problem.

In the initial portion of the video you can hear a whirring noise then the sound changes and the pump gets prime. This happens all the time, but if it sits too long then that's when I have trouble starting it.

0521161457.mp4

Let me know if anyone wants a full video with it running during a bump cycle.

Edited by hex0rz

• Owner

Lost prime... For sure your hearing the high rev of the rotor and then the bouncing is the fuel coming and it loads the pump back up. Eric at Vulcan Performance sells all the Parker Push Lock Fittings and JIC fittings. So if it was me I would grease the suction line fitting and reassemble and see if the problem goes away if so like I said its time to ditch the Quick Connect fittings and move back to push lock fittings.

• Like 1

Doesn't matter when or where, it always makes this noise.

But even though I lose prime, I can still start the truck if it hasn't been An extended period of time. I think it's because not all the fuel has been sucked back out before losing complete prime. If that makes sense...

If I bump the starter and if after the cycle it doesn't prime, when it shuts off, the air sounds like it bleeds off.

Edited by hex0rz

Well if it's happening regardless of when or how the truck is parked and it only changes in severity based on how long it's sat, any fuel lines, return on supply, should be checked now. I'd suspect it's more then likely a leak on the supply side of things and like Mike has suggested, I'd replace any quick connect fittings and install push lock fittings in their place. I'd go through and take out all the existing fittings and put a fresh coat of loctite/thread tape (pick your preference) and reinstall. Make sure your fuel and water filters are on tight and sealed on good.

I guess in other words I'd go back through the system as if I were installing it just to make sure everything's covered

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up some half inch fuel line made by parker from a local diesel shop today.  Bought two 3/8 npt jic fittings as well to replace the suction and bulkhead fitting. This is just to fix the suction side of my problem to see if it works.  

Does anyone know if the fitting will work on my bulkhead? Can't find out what size it is...