• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Another Arduino Project being dreamed up...Smoke output throttle reducer

• Owner
3 hours ago, Me78569 said:

I dunno, makes me really nervous to sell a device that sits between the ecm and TPS input.    

Heaven forbid the unit freezes at a high TPS input or something.

1 hour ago, CSM said:

Totally agree with nick on that one.  Liability is nuts.  I won't have any part of it.  Shareware, mabe, but sale? nein.  

44 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

Yea maybe we host it as a download and an article.....

Point taken...

Alright I am ready to say that I have beta version 1.2 done.

changes,

independant increasing TPS and decreasing TPS settings

1-2000 ms configure for TPS increase

nonlinear increasing TPS to increase TPS slower at low TPS input and faster when at high TPS input

1-20 % it will increase at 1/3 rate

20-40 % it will increase at 1/2 rate

40-60 % it will increase at 2/3 rate.

60-100 % it will increase at 1 rate

1-500 ms configure for TPS decrease

throttle decrease delay is linear.  

Things I still need to change,

The mode selection between showing TPS increase value, TPS decrease value, and input TPS vs output TPS is not "easy"  I use a if statement to show if value is x/1 x/2 or x/3  however increasing x value happens VERY quickly IE x+30 everytime you push the button to select a new mode.  

This is due to how the button works on the arduino.  I might use a while statement to increase an outside variable only once so liong as the button is pressed.  Not sure yet.  

• Like 2

Menu system has been changed so it is easy to switch between menus and................................I might as well add a valet mode too huh? good cause I did

Now 

Thraverage = constrain(map(Thraverage,0,100,0,MaxTps),0,100);

you can set MaxTps from 0 to 100,  and it will "map" the maxtps value as the new %100.  So if you set %20 as the max TPS input then it will limit the TPS output, but you will still have full range of throttle input so the driver will never know as TPS will scale up as they increase throttle.

IE: %20 TPS set means TPS outputted will be 1/5 what the driver inputs

%5 driver TPS = %1 ecm outputted

%25 driver TPS = %5 ecm outputted

%50 driver TPS =  %10 ecm outputted

%75 driver TPS = %15 ecm outputted

%100 Driver TPS = %20 ecm outputted.

Edited by Me78569

2 hours ago, Me78569 said:

Menu system has been changed so it is easy to switch between menus and................................I might as well add a valet mode too huh? good cause I did

Now 

Thraverage = constrain(map(Thraverage,0,100,0,MaxTps),0,100);

you can set MaxTps from 0 to 100,  and it will "map" the maxtps value as the new %100.  So if you set %20 as the max TPS input then it will limit the TPS output, but you will still have full range of throttle input so the driver will never know as TPS will scale up as they increase throttle.

IE: %20 TPS set means TPS outputted will be 1/5 what the driver inputs

%5 driver TPS = %1 ecm outputted

%25 driver TPS = %5 ecm outputted

%50 driver TPS =  %10 ecm outputted

%75 driver TPS = %15 ecm outputted

%100 Driver TPS = %20 ecm outputted.

This would be awesome for someone looking to borrow my truck (hasn't happened yet, but I'm sure eventually it will).

Set it to 50% and not have to worry about them blowing the SOB up!

• Like 1

I finally have some behind the wheel time with this.  some kinks need to be worked out still, but overall the base concept is working great.  You can plant your right foot and it just rolls into it smoke free.

Using PWM to send a Voltage to the ecm is not going to work though, It is not exact enough and tends to float, so you get some TPS jumping.  I have a arduino DAC coming to solve this issue.  

Edited by Me78569

Alright,

I have finished bench testing the max TPS feature and it is working pretty nice.  It will output whatever your current TPS is * what you have set for max tps.

IE: max setting of 20 will give you 16% tps when you have the pedal at 80%

max setting of 50 will give you 40% tps when you have the pedal at 80%

I have done some more smoothing on the TPS increase to slow it down more at low TPS values.  This will take some more seat time to figure out how to best handle it.

posting the current code in the download section for safe keeping 1.03 beta

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

DAC is in and the code is adjusted to work on a 12 bit scale.  Seems to be working very well during the bench testing.  I still have to test the %100 TPS voltage to ensure I am writing a high enough V.  I think it was 3.6 volt for %100 throttle, but I have not messed with it in a week or so.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Sounds also very interesting to use as a way to generate the TPS signal for the PCM on 98.5-99 trucks to avoid converter lock cycling and maybe also as a tuner to get the lockup right for non stock engines and non stock converters.. (Not that I want to insinuate that anybody here would use such things :whistle::bolt:)

Cheers

AlpineRAM

4 hours ago, AlpineRAM said:

Sounds also very interesting to use as a way to generate the TPS signal for the PCM on 98.5-99 trucks to avoid converter lock cycling and maybe also as a tuner to get the lockup right for non stock engines and non stock converters.. (Not that I want to insinuate that anybody here would use such things :whistle::bolt:)

Cheers

AlpineRAM

I just fixed mine again.  1st was a bad alternator 2 yr ago... then recently the problem  came back and i just went down this list. works great.  

http://www.dodgecumminsapps.com/page04.html

3 hours ago, CSM said:

I just fixed mine again.  1st was a bad alternator 2 yr ago... then recently the problem  came back and i just went down this list. works great.  

http://www.dodgecumminsapps.com/page04.html

Well I know that list.. but where I saw some problems was that with a slightly altered engine (cam, pistons, injectors, turbo, smarty) and a slightly altered transmission (TC, number of clutches, valvebody) it can get a bit difficult to tune the lockup system. (especially while driving in the mountains with a lot of bends and switchbacks)

• 1 year later...

I'd like to incorporate this into my truck but I've never used an Arduino before. Any odds we could get a written statement or video on how go about incorporating the files in the downloads section onto an Arduino and onto the truck? Ie. Where & how did you mount your Arduino? I've downloaded the files but have never ran code on an Arduino before. Do I need to go Google basic steps and learn how with some simple code first or could you help me cut right to the chase?

Youtube has a ton of videos covering all of that.   

I do use this anymore since I have the quadzilla.      I honestly dont remember much about this project other than it was a little scary to be intercepting tps using a $30 uno device.   Always in my mind, what if it freezes....