• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

3rd to 4th gear flaring??

3 minutes ago, Dynamic said:

It's pretty much impossible to have a 3-4 flare unless there's something wrong with the OD roller clutch...

During a 3-4 shift, the OD piston on the back of the "main" case pushes against the OD hub. The hub, being forced against the spring pressure of the large OD spring, will slide on the OD sun gear toward the rear of the transmission, immediately releasing the OD direct clutch (which has been carry engaged in all gears up to this point). After forcing the release of the OD direct clutch, and during the time that the OD piston is traveling the distance necessary to engage the OD brake (which will hold the OD sun gear stationary), neither clutch in the OD is engaged, and the torque load transfers to OD roller clutch. Once the OD brake clutch engages at the end of the shift, the sun gear is held stationary, causing the OD planetary set to overdrive the output shaft. At this point, the OD roller clutch simply "free wheels" in there. If the OD roller clutch is not working, the transmission will effectively be in neutral until the OD brake comes on, giving a flare during the shift...

I was just going to say the same thing...:wink:.  Except I didn't' understand any of it. :whistle:.  What a great resource to this site.

• Like 2

• Owner
22 hours ago, Hawkez said:

I was just going to say the same thing...:wink:.  Except I didn't' understand any of it. :whistle:.  What a great resource to this site.

Seriously if you have the way to go up to see this great guy I would. Stand there and watch him rebuild a transmission is awesome. He'll explain everything about the transmission. I actually understand what he said because of being there and watching all the steps of the rebuild and watching him test everything. As for catching something like that I'm green horn yet with automatics so I would of most likely made the same mistake. Knowing there is a valuable resource like @Dynamic around is awesome. Thank you sir for all your knowledge and expertise in the transmission world. :smart:

• Like 1

• Owner

That's why we need more people taking time to research different shops and people and give reviews of service. This way other can find different shop all around the US. I can tell you that Dynamic has a business relationship with Dave Goerend (Goerend Transmissions)

http://www.goerend.com/

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

That's why we need more people taking time to research different shops and people and give reviews of service. This way other can find different shop all around the US. I can tell you that Dynamic has a business relationship with Dave Goerend (Goerend Transmissions)

http://www.goerend.com/

Because of all the things said about Jon is why I had him do my '01.  Unfortunately it is still there sitting in my driveway wrecked and my current '02 still has OEM.  I was fortunate to have had Tony Garcin (Dunrite) as a friend and mentor to some degree when I worked a bit for him one summer.  He said he wanted to give me enough learning to not get shafted if I were out on the road somewhere and had a failure requiring repair then and there.  He did do that but unfortunately he passed a few years ago so I no longer have that resource and friend.

He was successful in that and so I was able to watch Jon answer questions here and on Cummins Forum which allowed me to get a feel that he knew what he was doing which I attribute to Tony.  Tony was also very good friends with Dave Georend and they spoke often a lot of times to solve an issue one or the other was dealing with.  I was able to hear part of more than one of those conversations. 

The interesting thing about Jon is when we chatted over several phone calls and later in person he sounds like Tony talking.  Which means mostly over my head.  LOL  :pray:   But I did and do understand some of it since I tend to be mechanical and like Michael I have quite a bit of Fire experience that relates to hydraulics.  Well, less than some since I was a Truckman almost all my career although I am not totally sure how that happened.  :burnout:    :think:   :thumb1:

Since Jon did my '01 and I spent time in his shop I consider him a friend.  I believe he is real, genuine and a real stand up guy who knows his craft.  Would not hesitate to have him do another although I will eventually migrate the tranny out of the '01 into the '02.  Not sure when since I have a bum knee they tell me will only work again with a replacement joint.  Not what I am looking forward to.  Guess I gotta get it done if I want to continue doing this as I have for so many years.  Or at least in some semblance of the same manner.

Russ Ditch hole.jpg

This did go back in the river to make more!  Kill your fish, kill your fishing.  :smart:     :cool:

Edited by Russ Roth

Thanks for the kind words, guys! I get to do something for a living that I really enjoy, so that makes it easier to pour my heart and soul into it. Like they say, "find something that you enjoy doing, and you'll never work a day in your life!"

• Like 1

• Staff
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 9:07 AM, dripley said:

Better get that fixed or we might have to start calling you Jaggett.

Kind like my transmission ...sometimes confused which bathroom or gear supposed to be in so I just go out in the woods.

Dynamic..... I'm wondering if you have time to do a service on my trans? Possible tune up with some new solenoides?! 88,000 miles on the 02 now. Thank you

23 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Kind like my transmission ...sometimes confused which bathroom or gear supposed to be in so I just go out in the woods.

Dynamic..... I'm wondering if you have time to do a service on my trans? Possible tune up with some new solenoides?! 88,000 miles on the 02 now. Thank you

Yes, I can service your transmission. I'd have to look at my schedule, though. I'm pretty steadily booked until the middle of July right now. It can be a little tricky to schedule a service when I've got full builds filling out the schedule, but I can make it work.

What kind of tune up stuff are you looking for?

• Staff

Need to drop the pan and filter, adjust the bands if needed. It's shifted strangely just two times... like a delay from 3-4th and then a sudden clunk with a hard shift into 4th. It's weird...possibly change out sensors whatever you might recommend after seeing it

Thinking about making it out your way whenever you would like with your scedule as this 02 does not get driven a whole lot. Just hauls the slide in camper is all. August or September possibly.

Edited by JAG1